Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Heretic

event triggers

You may have noticed that on e2m8 Ultimate doom, when you kill the cyber demon, the level ends. (duh)but seriously.. of course I noticed it but Ive thought about how its done. There are no linedefs invloved, or sectors, cos thats static and you could kill cyber anywhere, so is it possible to edit thing flags to do this?
Or is this end level feature, as i suspect, coded into the exe for the cyber on this map? Must be coded into a specific map, otherwise ALL cyber demons in the game would end level on death.
So someone help me out, and explain to me how its done please.

I read my post and its easy to understand, so no bullshit replies, ukay?

The Heretic said:

There are no linedefs invloved, or sectors, cos thats static and you could kill cyber anywhere, so is it possible to edit thing flags to do this?

Or is this end level feature, as i suspect, coded into the exe for the cyber on this map? Must be coded into a specific map, otherwise ALL cyber demons in the game would end level on death.

no bullshit replies, ukay?

I'll address the "no bullshit replies" comment first. How about horse manure replies? Are they OK? But seriously ....

You are correct about it being an end-level feature in E2M8 just like walking through the teleporter and being fried at the end of E1M8, and killing off the Spider Demon at the end of E3M8, etc. These are hard-coded into the .exe and can't be changed in vanilla DooM. But more about that presently.

DooM2 has some thing-specific events aside from the end-level feature (Map30). In Map07, killing the Mancubuses lowers the walls around the initial arena, and killing the spiders raises the steps to the exit. These are hard-coded into the .exe. If you create your own level to replace Map07 you may use these features, but it's not required. Likewise, shooting the Commander Keens raises doors. This is true for any level. (Remember to use the appropriate tags fof these thing-spepcific events.)

Using ZDooM or some other source ports allows you to trigger practically any event upon the death of an enemy (or even upon the destruction of barrels, picking up health, etc.) This eliminates the level-specific nature of vanilla DooM's thing-specific events.

How does tag 666 works anyway ? I don't get it at all. Must I assign the 666 to a group of enemies and the same on a wall or something to make it work ?

Darkstalker said:

How does tag 666 works anyway ? I don't get it at all. Must I assign the 666 to a group of enemies and the same on a wall or something to make it work?

No. In vanilla DooM, simply tag the sector that you want to activate. For example, if you want one or more doors to open when all the Keens on the level have been destroyed you tag the door(s) with the 666 tag. Likewise, on Map07, tag the walls that you want lowered with the 666 tag -- when all the Mancubuses have been killed the walls will go down.

ReX said:

How about horse manure replies? Are they ok?

Sure. All types of turd rock.

Thanks for the help. Im using legacy port and experiments with fragglescript seem to suggest this is not changeable, but substitutable. Any hints with fraggle script anyone?
Plus: I have not seen any tag controls for things in my doom editor. (not looked to make sure yet). I use deepsea, and use vanilla doom when creating dehacked patches, to be used with legacy...but i doubt anything dehacked can do is relevant to my problem.
The Heretic said:
There are no linedefs invloved
Well, you were right, but is there a way to mutaly link things to lindefs? Wouldnt it be cool if a linedef trigger, scripted in legacy, could make an nme explode? (dont answer that one, its just wish list bul...horse manure)

Heretic Out.

ReX said:

...just like walking through the teleporter and being fried at the end of E1M8...

I'm sure ReX is aware of this, it just sounds like he is implying that particular effect only works on E1M8. It can be used on any level. Sector type 11 damages the player (even in god mode) until the players health reaches <10 then the level ends.

There is an effect specific to E1M8, however, and that is the sector that lowers when the Barons are killed.

If you want to make things specifically for Zdoom, you can actually use a lump in your WAD called MAPINFO to make any level use the effects of E1M8, E2M8, E3M8, MAP07 and a few other effects too. If you want to convert to full blown ZdoomHexen mode editing, then you can make virtually anything happen on the death of any enemy, or combination of enemies via scripting.