Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hex11

Undeath '94 - a new vanilla Doom episode (beta)

That layout doesn't feel very inspiring to me, because it's so symmetrical and orthogonal. But if you think you can work with that, then give it a shot (and remember, you can always expand on the original as needed). I'll mark you down for E1M9, which leaves only E1M6 left open.

ChaingunnerX: nice texturing! Do you plan to stick with the original layout, or did/will you add more areas?

Walter C: did you ever figure out that HOM bug in your map?

no, unluckily. I was thinking to post it here like memfis on his stolen remake to see if somebody will see to fix....

Here is October with those issues fixed, I don't know how I missed that bad step by the plasma gun, and with the other step I just forgot to move the door further away after I rearranged the outside area.

Here is an update for TMATCH There should be no issues with opening the red door now, & the tutti-frutti texture has been replaced. I also found a wall that I forgot to texture, so I fixed that as well.

Walter C: yeah, might as well post a link

Jaws in Space: October looks good, and only noticed one weird thing about TMATCH - the two BK doors right next to each other. Seems redundant, or it it meant to be some kind of puzzle? I was confused until I figured out

Spoiler

the left one is gun-activated.

Some progress:

@walter: Some textures are out of place in your map, the computer tech texture put outside is not fitting at all IMO, and some textures don't fit E1 (hellish textures), why did you use them?

Walter C: looks like you simplified the map a bit? I remember there being a lot of sectors with different floor heights in the eastern yard (and thus many 2-sided linedefs). Removing those must have fixed the HOM, because I didn't notice the bug in this version (with Chocolate Doom 1.6), or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

C30N9: Got you down for E1M6. That was a DOOM II map you selected, but it's based on an older DOOM map and the layouts are nearly identical, so that's fine. I'm surprised people are interested in those orthogonal layouts though, since there's so many other interesting/bizarre stuff from 1994, but that's your call... Let's see what you can come up with.

If anyone else wants to join the project, we can let their maps overflow into E2, but those slots should probably be filled in order (starting with E2M1, then E2M2, etc.)

It depends on how many other people sign up for E2, and how long they take to finish their maps. If you're the only one and you get done before or soon after E1 is ready, then it's probably better to just bundle it with the others as a "bonus" map. Otherwise, we can release one episode at a time. Guess we'll see what happens...

hex11 said:

Walter C: looks like you simplified the map a bit? I remember there being a lot of sectors with different floor heights in the eastern yard (and thus many 2-sided linedefs). Removing those must have fixed the HOM, because I didn't notice the bug in this version (with Chocolate Doom 1.6), or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

yes, but i still found some bugs in chocorenderlimits...

EDIT: here's the HOM section in vanilla, visible when you get into the red furnace...

Walter C: I see what you mean, but maybe it's okay to have HOM in the furnace. It's just the heat bluring your vision! :-) Probably nobody will even notice, since you get hurt while standing in there... Was that the only problem spot? This is a strange bug. I have some in my map, apparently because a vertex was too close to another wall. Here's what it looks like in the editor:
http://imageshack.us/f/28/scr20130511200325.png/
The highlighted sector was originally an octagon, with a vertex 32 units away from the south wall. All I did was move that vertex 96 units up, and the HOM went away, just like magic! And the weird thing is, the same bug doesn't happen with the northern vertex...

Jaws in Space: That looks like a spooky and dangerous place! I spotted two tutti-fruti bugs: the crate just to the right of the backpack (beyond the BK door), and also the exit signs. The difficulty seems good for HMP. I died on first two attempts (but I'm not a very good player...)

That's a sweet little map! It's a bit on the brutal side, but that works good for the secret level. At first I couldn't find any weapons, so got surrounded and died pretty quick. Then I found the shotgun near the start, and almost died a few times but there was enough health/armor to survive (I play on HMP skill). It took me a long time to find the keys, probably because I ran past the RK room without noticing it was accessible (after hitting the switch that opens it). Maybe other people will find it easier... Noticed some tutti-fruti at the bottom of the computer panel opposite from the exit door, but it's not visible unless you stick your nose into the midtexture.

FDA for Chaingunner's map. I noticed non-damaging nukage in sectors 51, 52, etc, no problems otherwise. Liked the music heh.

That looks good, but I had a lot of trouble finding the yellow key. I didn't notice when the panel opened (thought it was a secret in another room). Maybe it would be better to let the panel stay open, once the player hits that switch. Or maybe I just suck and other people will find it easier...

I also got trapped in the exit room, after riding up the elevator. Tried to come back down and open the door, but it was stuck.

Edit: @schwerpunk, you got it!

Sorry to barge in, but I was just made aware of this thread (a little bird told me E2M2 is available), and the E2 opening. I love E2M2, having already made a rendition of that level for the Switcheroom! project.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to set the time aside to make a satisfactory entry, but I'd certainly like to be pencilled in for this slot. :)

Jaws in Space: thanks, that version looks all goood! Only problem I had this time was blowing myself up on a barrel after backing up past it while shooting the chaingun at a lost soul. ;-) The E2M3 slot is yours, and that old map actually plays pretty awesome already (texturing of course needs lots of work).

Walter C: You made a lot of nice changes, and I would have marked it as done, but then found a VPO crash at this one spot:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mwsd2q
From the spot in that screenshot, if I simply move forward by a tiny bit, the game crashes. It might be necessary to block off the midtexture wall composed of linedefs 441, 1733 and 1734, so that the player can't see through it into the room beyond (that's just my guess, if you happen to have ChocoRenderLimits installed, maybe use that to check). And I'll mark you down for E2M4, unless you wanted another slot.