Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Rome 2: Total war is already selling DLC even though it won't be out until September!

Ok, I know DLC can improve the game if done well but this is just a great example of DLC being used to screw the customer over.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/212301/

So, not only are they already selling DLC for the game even though its almost 5 months until the actual game is even released, but the DLC they are selling is something as important as whole factions?

I will admit that I don't know if buying this DLC merely means that Greece gets turned into several smaller Greek factions or if not buying it will just lock Greece away as a playable faction, but in any case this feels like a very greedy move.

Do you feel they can justify releasing DLC for the game so long before the actual game is even out?

Thoughts?

hardcore_gamer said:

Do you feel they can justify releasing DLC for the game so long before the actual game is even out?

Of course they can justify it. Game developers and publishers are businesses. Businesses are in the business of making money. For them, it means moar monies whenever someone is foolish enough to buy a DLC for a game which isn't even on sale yet.

Businesses have been 'tricking' the customer into parting with their cash for a long time. In the world of computer games, it's no different to the way certain games have extra content if you pre-order them months ahead. It becomes unfair if that extra content is ludicrously priced for those who didn't pre-order, or it's simply never available to anyone else - or, in the case of the Rome 2 DLC, that DLC is withdrawn from Steam when the game proper is released.

In here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/
>> Pre-Purchase and receive The Greek States Culture Pack

There are tons of games which have pre-purchase bonuses. That's not bad, because publishers and developers want the game to be bought for full price before it will be discounted.

I'm sure it is also justified how drm store software developers can wait until a lot of people have bought a lot of products on their service to suddenly change the TOS so they can easily take advantage of them, esepcially with those who refuse the change.

The aren't selling DLC, they have a page advertising the fact that it'll be available once Rome II is released. That's a rather large difference.

Snakes said:

The aren't selling DLC, they have a page advertising the fact that it'll be available once Rome II is released. That's a rather large difference.

What is the difference between pre-ordering and getting extra factions you would not have gotten otherwise and buying those extra factions as DLC?

Your basically pre-ordering the game to get free DLC. Also, since this is almost half a year before the release of the game and will be in the game at launch they can't use the excuse that they are merely adding something into the game that they would not otherwise have had time for.

Kontra Kommando said:

I need to buy a more powerful computer before I can buy Rome II.

To be honest the Total War series is one of those series where no matter how powerful your PC is it never appears able to run those games properly at the highest setting.

I still remember the time where I upgraded my PC so that I could play Medieval 2 Total war at good settings and then later I decided to go back to Rome, and discovered that even with a much better machine I still could not play that game without massive amounts of lag when there where 3-5 armies marching accross the battlefield (the game would even outright refuse to spawn those armies sometimes, instead giving me a message stating that my machine could not handle them all at once.)

I don't think its worth upgrading your PC just for one game when 90% of other games will probably run just fine. But each to his own.

Archi said:

There are tons of games which have pre-purchase bonuses. That's not bad, because publishers and developers want the game to be bought for full price before it will be discounted.

What? It is, in fact, very bad. Pre-ordering games is stupid as shit, since you're parting with quite a bit of money without having any idea of what you're getting. You should never pre-order, especially nowadays when you're buying most of your games digitally anyway. Stop trying to justify throwing your money on nothing else than empty promises, and instead wait until the game comes out with reviews.

I would upgrade, but only if it was a game that I was really looking forward to. Sooner or later he has to upgrade to be able to play games that are coming out in the future. Imo the best time to upgrade is when you can't play a game that have been waiting on for months. Lowering settings or switching off stuff is unacceptable, I'd rather not play the game at all.

the only items i've pre-ordered have been some music-related items. i was able to hear, and see, exactly what i was going to get through numerous images featuring cover-art, as well as being able to preview the album to see if i wanted to get it. i got some bonuses along the way as well, too.

this trailer seems far too vague in comparison. you are greeted with a cinematic trailer and that if you pre-order the game you get lots of free shit. but they don't tell you WHAT exactly you're getting, and why you should have any urge to pre-order the game besides "hey, check out our awesome cinematic trailer. now go buy our shit please?"

granted, pre-ordering an album might be a different thing from pre-ordering a game, but still.