Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

John Carpenter to direct Dead Space movie

...Not really. But he says he'd like to.

Dead Space was so heavily influenced by The Thing, that it would make perfect sense to me. But I guess Ridley Scott would also make good a choice on these grounds.

Thoughts? Who would you want to direct such a film? What would a Dead Space movie entail? Or should I blow the entire concept of Dead Space out of my ass, because you don't like it?

*Deep sigh.* I have several thoughts, but it's going to take me a while to forgive you for that misleading title. >_<

DoomUK said:

What would a Dead Space movie entail?

A very compact edition of the first game's story?

Basically, yeah. The 2nd and 3rd games were a desperate attempt to shoehorn more story into what was pretty well wrapped up in the first game.

Bucket said:

Basically, yeah. The 2nd and 3rd games were a desperate attempt to shoehorn more story into what was pretty well wrapped up in the first game.

Besides, the first game's setting would work best in a movie, it's more contained with less stuff going on. So any movie adaptation wouldn't feel as all over the place as, say, DS2's adaptation would be.

I'm okay with him not doing this. The man made some great movies in his prime, but after 'They Live' his career really tended to range from mediocre to downright atrocious.

Honestly, I'm fine with video games staying video games. The enjoyment I get out of them is enough that I don't need to relive the experience in 2 hours with a lot of alterations and paring-down for time's sake.

John Carpenter already directed the Dead Space movie - it was called The Thing, and it was one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

Jodwin said:

Besides, the first game's setting would work best in a movie,

Probably because it was all lifted from Event Horizon, with the monsters from the Thing.

kristus said:

Probably because it was all lifted from Event Horizon, with the monsters from the Thing.

It was originally supposed to be System Shock 3.

Doomuk: change the misleading topic heading, you twat.

Anyways, I reckon John Carpenter could do a great job with the Dead Space franchise in celluloid form. I could think of other directors who could do it justice as well, but I'm guessing he would probably have a higher level of personal interest and emotional investment in it than most directors.

DooM_RO said:

It was originally supposed to be System Shock 3.

People make this assumption a lot, but out side of EA owning the System Shock license for a while and Dead Space having a sci-fi Horror setting, I've never seen anyone official-like conform this.

I've only liked A FEW movies from John Carpenter. He's terrible. So terrible.

Ridley Scott would do it with a much bigger budget.

As for the animated movies. I've seen both of them several times with different people. I'm not a fan of the second one and how its 4 takes on an incident done in different art styles for each take. The first movie I wouldn't call it good, but more memorable? Eh tough to be gory and scary when animated in my opinion.

Chances are the movie would revolve around the crazies and the artifact and not even have Issac.