Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Problem with switch working, but not animating! (solved!)

Upper floor of a building. The switch, as you can see, is embedded in the elevator and worked perfectly.

Lower floor of an attached building. The switch here successfully brings down the elevator, but fails to animate. I would say it was maybe causing a conflict because it and the upper floor both share the same sector tag and action, but that's necessary for the elevator to work properly. The weirdest thing is that a lift in another part of the map that has two different switches works fine.

Very curious! I've never run into this problem. But I have to ask, is the action of the unanimating switch on the actual linedef that has the sidedef texture of the button, or on the linedef just in front of it, which acts a sort of cubby for that button?

Pardon the elementary nature of this inquiry. Just going one step at a time.

Maybe you have more than one switch texture on that linedef, i.e. both on upper and on lower parts? In that case only the upper texture will change. example wad.

if you hear the switch clicking sound there should be a switch texture on the upper or lower part of that linedef.

If you hear nothing at all then you probably used the linedef in front of the switch for the lift.

So far nobody's suggestions has ben right. I changed the textures of the liendef to the same switch, and made sure the outer part of the cubby wasn't tagged. Everything looks to be in order. I'm really confused here.

Ok try tagging the linedef with the switch button alone and not the two angled walls. I'm guessing you are pressing one of the two angled walls to bring the lift down.

GoatLord said:

I changed the textures of the liendef to the same switch

Sorry, I guess my wording was wrong. If you have switch textures (same or different, doesn't matter) on more than one part (upper/middle/lower) of a linedef, only one of them will animate. So only the visible part should have a switch texture, otherwise you might not get the desired result.

If that still doesn't help, how about cutting out that part of the map and posting it here?

Yeah, I would like to take a look at it as well. It's quite the boggle that none of the suggestions have fixed this yet.

Memfis, sorry I misinterpreted you. It totally worked when I made sure only the area that would be shown was textured. Thanks!