Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

levitating pools of blood

The small pool of blood and pool of brains do it too. The other pool of blood and bones not, though. Pool of blood and bones (I mean thing 24) is the only one of them present in Doom 1. I guess they forgot about setting gravity to these three new decorative objects.

If you remove the "can't be hit" flag in DeHackEd, giving them 0 bits instead of 16, they drop.

hmm, does that mean by adding that flag to other items would cause them to float as well? Seems like that would be neat to play around with

myk said:

If you remove the "can't be hit" flag in DeHackEd, giving them 0 bits instead of 16, they drop

In the code, that bit is called MF_NOBLOCKMAP.

So these things are not kept in the blockmap, which means they are not found when the engine changes a sector height (via P_ChangeSector).

Ribbiks said:

hmm, does that mean by adding that flag to other items would cause them to float as well? Seems like that would be neat to play around with

I was hoping so too, but I guess you can't pick up items with that flag and things aren't shootable with that flag. I guess it could be used for decorations, though.

Ribbiks said:

You could make a fake invisible staircase :) Surprised no one has done that before.

david_a said:

You could make a fake invisible staircase :)

A staircase you can neither see or climb? Hmmm......

andrewj said:

A staircase you can neither see or climb? Hmmm......

I was thinking you could recreate the UAC_DEAD.WAD staircase visually by making the candles float. It might be useful - there could be multiple staircases for decoration only that otherwise might be impracticable with Doom's geometry.