Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

Favourite Doom64 Levels?

I like The Bleeding, Blood Keep, Spawned Fear and Burnt Offerings.

Mmm.. seems I like the levels with the grassy outdoor areas the best. Although grass doesn't really say hell. Levels like Altar of Pain feel more hellish.

I remember enjoying that one slightly purple hell level with the babies' crying, I guess it was altar of pain? And some level with a massive cave that was all segmented and such, can't remember the name of that at all. Similiarly can't remember the name of another hell level which was pretty blue and I think had water at the bottom and a bunch of stone walkways all around the place. Some of the techbase levels were also nice, but I can't really remember a particular one.
In general, I just like Doom 64 a lot, but don't play it often... The only thing I don't like is that it's hell has grass.

Although i like playing it all my 3 favourites have to be Dark Citadel, Breakdown and In The Void, just got fantastic atmosphere to them and it's a shame the void level theme didn't extend past just that one secret level.

I can barely tell you the names of any of the maps I enjoyed. I like Doom64 in its entirety, and I don't think I was ever bored or discerned by parts where the level design was generally better in some parts than it was on others. I remember all the maps collectively as Doom 64 and in genuinely enjoyed playing through the entire thing from start to finish.

The only maps that I think I could really point out the name of if I saw a screenshot are Staging Area, simply because it's the first map and Terraformer, because it's the second. I honestly don't remember the names or the general layout (beyond any distinctive features) of the other maps.

I kinda dislike In The Void. Cool idea, but the level is just a bunch of straight corridors/bridges. Maybe some floating castle would have been cooler.

Jimi said:

I kinda dislike In The Void. Cool idea, but the level is just a bunch of straight corridors/bridges. Maybe some floating castle would have been cooler.

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way. A cool concept, but was expecting much more from the level. I always thought up different fortress scenarios with a void environment when I was much younger.

40oz, what about the three bonus maps and the secret level Hectic? Surely those are memorable. Cat and Mouse is brilliant.

Jimi said:

Go make it for 64 EX then :p

PITFALLS, Bitches.

Altar of Pain, Eye of the Storm, and Blood Keep get honorable mentions too for being great and superfun, and I always did find No Escape a particularly cool level just from how the explorable nooks and crannies around the arena are completely optional. First time I played through the game, I nuked the cybies before trying to explore and was surprised at the sudden finish. Somehow this made me not hate it. :P

I guess I'm also supposed to like Cat and Mouse too but I find the setup maybe a bit more on the frustrating side in practice. A certain someone will at some point release a much better take on the concept that I'll eventually be able to refer to. :P

Also, Hectic can suck a dick.

Xaser said:

Also, Hectic can suck a dick.

The dick would inexplicably disintegrate before getting close.

Yesterday I played through the tech episode and tried to decide which one of them I like the most. I used to dislike Research Lab for it being too complex, but surprisingly now I liked it the most. Outpost Omega takes the second place from them.

From the fun/special levels I like Hardcore the best. Too bad it's also the most undetailed of them.

The Bleeding, Dark Citadel and Eye of the Storm. Not because of design but they have my favorite music tracks in the game.

The Terraformer - I liked the amount of traps in this map and I liked the over-all design of the level.
The Bleeding - I love the "soundtrack" for the map as well as the design and strategy that needs to be used.
Dark Entries - Even though I hated this map at first because of that trap right outside the spawn, I still liked it because you actually had to think quick in this level. This map always kept you on your feet.
Breakdown - This map was very strange. The map was mostly made up of relatively easy enemies and the design was a bit odd. I still loved the map specifically because of the super secret that was removed long ago.
No Escape - The design of the level was what I really enjoyed and I loved the concept. The level was open and large and it made you move constantly to avoid enemies. The enemies were well placed also, their location served a purpose.

I hated to pick maps because I love all the maps and everything about DooM 64: the levels, the graphics, the music, etc. It's a wonderful game.