Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Limidius

Least Memorable Maps in Ultimate DOOM

So I started playing DOOM just this past Christmas Break. I wound up bloodily struggling through Ultimate Doom over the course of a month, on Ultra Violence, then graduating to Doom 2. When I beat that, I invested some time into finishing some Pwads such as Requiem, Scythe, and even started into Final DOOM with Plutonia. I decided one day to revisit the game that started it all, and 1) It was incredibly easy, and 2) there were some maps I just...straight up didn't recognize. This was especially the case in Shores of Hell...I couldn't, for the life of me, ever remember playing E2M5: Command Center, for example.

TBH I found at least something memorable about all the IWAD maps. Maybe if I hadn't played them a million times I'd have a different opinion but not sure, even refinery has some interesting bits despite being perhaps the most filler map in the IWAD.

When I played E2M5 for the first time, I found the secret exit and skipped most of the map. It's a memorable map though.

I will admit to only skimming the title, and thinking this thread was about a proposal for a memorial day megawad. I'm not even American...

On Topic: You'd have to ask a new Doomer, because I find all of the maps memorable in some way or another, if only because of the repetition of playing them for years and years and years.

esselfortium said:

E4M2 and E4M6? Surely you jest :P

I actually do jest. I've gone on record as saying that I consider E4M2 to be a damned fine work of pure art, and I haven't changed on this.

I'm bizarrely-fond of E4M6 recently despite it being an absolute pushover if you tackle it in the right order (invul sphere and BFG before Cyberdemon, it's in the bag).

Was a funny four character response whilst it lasted though. ;)

E3M8.

Playtime when coming from E2M7 is less than 10 sec so there's hardly any time to take a closer look... :D

I recently replayed most Ultimate Doom maps and I think I remember the rough appearance of all. In the past, when I had played UD only once, I had problems to recall maps:
E2M5, E3M4, E3M5, E4M*

I think the "memorability" of maps is completely subjective thing. Because there may be several maps with cool memorable design choices and people will still keep confusing which was which. And then someone will remember a map because it was just... average. Or because he played it right after a lunch. Or because he died there five times by the cacodemon's biting mouth. Or because he overlooked a spectre and then jumped feet high when he suddenly noticed him. Or because he played the map in coop with a friend and their comments were memorable.

To sum up: As I believe, memorability depends on many factors, and the map design is only one of them. Therefore, everyone can have his own memorable and forgetable maps.

I always liked the original IWads a lot, but yeah d1 is really easy. E4 of UD is IMO awesome, I love the level designs and atmosphere of it, but once again they're no longer much of a challenge, unfortunately. But yeah in UD I find all the maps memorable, my personal favorite being e4m6, but thats just me.

Komenja said:

e4m5 for me, I just can't recall anything about it.

Is that the one with all the dirt walls? No wait, it's the one with the marble walls that's hilariously easy to sequence-break. In that case I vote for E4M4, since I couldn't even remember which map number it was.

E4M4.

I really don't understand the hate for E4 in general just because it came after Doom 2, it seems to be an ongoing trend, the only real thing I disliked about it is the lack of a intermission map.

I remember very few E3 maps. Still haven't finished E4, but I only remember the first level and the boss level, mainly because the E4 boss level has that big gibbing screenshot that circulates around like on WIkipedia and elsewhere.

-E2M5 isn't anything special, although its Jaguar-based redesign is a slight improvement due to it being simplified.
-E3M5 is so bland and boring, and even if I played it many times, I would still not recall where to go.
-E3M7 is a boring maze and I don't like going back and forth in a map, plus my commentary on E3M5 also applies here. Indeed maybe my least favorite map in an iwad.
-Most of the fourth episode of The Ultimate Doom due to barely playing it compared to the other three.

One in every episode!

E4M4: Probably the best example of an underwhelming experience in the game. It's not a horrible map, but feels really out of place after the much harder previous maps and can just be breezed through without much care or attention.

E3M8: Just DIS-appointing hruhruhruhrurhurhruhruh

E2M9: Secret or not, it's pretty crappy. Definite filler map.

E1M6: I don't know what it is about this map, but it's the one I least enjoy when playing through E1. It's not difficult or anything, it's not exactly a badly-designed map either, but there's something about it that just sends me into auto-pilot until it's over.

BaronOfStuff said:

E3M8: Just DIS-appointing hruhruhruhrurhurhruhruh

Har har har.

i don't remember half the maps of the E4 series. i know like, E4M1, E4M2, E4M9, E4M3, bits of E4M4, various unrecognizable bits of the next maps (i recall a wooden level, some marble level, and the one with the Cyberdemon and lots of nukage), and E4M8.

huh. that was quite the list, actually. well, i don't really feel as if i REMEMBER playing through most of them. E4 is my least played official Doom map-set.

I fought myself to respond to this thread with the same wit that Khorus posted. I think the best way to answer this question is to sit down, and actually say the map numbers in your head (E1M1, E1M2, ... E4M9) and see which ones attracts the least amount of information. Map name? Music? the automap layout? distinctive landmarks? traps? etc.

I think there was a time when many of the maps didn't stick out much for me. A lot of E2 maps were hard to remember and E4 was kind of a blur after E4M3 for a while, but I've since gotten myself so acquainted with these maps that they all have a certain level of individuality with me at this point.

I think I need to touch up on Final Doom and Doom64 though, since I don't really remember the maps in any particular order. I played PLUTONIA.WAD on coop with my brother earlier this year, and when we got to The Crypt, I didn't remember ever playing that map at all!

It's a complete mystery to me how anyone can enjoy E2. E2M8 is the best boss level but other than that the entire episode just looks like complete trash to me. The levels are ugly and boring. E2M1 is the ugliest. E2M2 is like someone purposely tried to make a map I would hate. The rest are completely forgettable.

I disagree soooooooooo much. You have to have an open imagination but the idea that hellish demons shrines are colliding with the lost deimos base is an awesome theme, even if it's not quite realistic of even believable. It's a very important theme that I'm implementing in UAC Ultra 2.

E2 has a lot of interesting crap going on in it. I like it about as much as I like E1. As for least memorable map? E4M5. The only things I really ever remember about that map even immediately after playing it are GSTONE and the sequence break jump at the end that lets you skip the YK.

qoncept said:
E2M2 is like someone purposely tried to make a map I would hate.

lol yeah I don't have nearly as much apathy for the level, but I must agree I'm not crazy about that level myself either, its really the part with the boxes that just seems to stick out like a sore thumb.