Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

DeePSea-help required!

I loaded up Deep last night to go create yet another level since I was bored, and that's when I noticed-sector and linedef information wasn't being displayed! Like for example, highlighting sector one in E1M1 (Ultimate Doom) just highlighted the sector itself, and DeePSea did not show the floor/ceiling heights or textures. Linedefs were pretty much the same way. I had to right click to see what a certain linedef's texture was, which got terribly old after just a few minutes.
Anyway, I just wondered-why is this happening, how can I prevent it, and has it happened to anyone else?

Uh, that info-view is an option. Press "I" to display/undisplay it.

Son of a bitch, I didn't realize that! Thanks Lüt! :)
/me slaps myself in the head

Insomniac said:

DeePsea sucks...

DeePsea kicks major asterix! Its the easiest to use and has great features, except it needs to be registered to get full functions :(.

Exactly, pickle! Insomniac, hush your mouth!
/me spanks Imsomniac

Deepsea sucks because it's shareware, it should be freeware. If it was, I might even try it out.

Deepsea sucks because it's shareware, it should be freeware. If it was, I might even try it out.

Why don't you try the demo version.
I did and thought it was worth the cash.

stoned said:

That's like saying Doom Shareware sucks because it's shareware. It doesn't matter in either case if it's demo/shareware or full version, they both rock.

Any editor that can tempt me away from my beloved DETH must be good ;o)

Searcher said:

Go cut the neighbors grass or something for the twenty bucks. Geeez!

What for? There are better editors for free.
Besides i need those twenty bucks for more important things than a friggin doom editor.

stoned said:

Besides i need those twenty bucks for more important things than a friggin doom editor.

Fair enough, that's your priorities, but

stoned said:

for me doesn't wash anymore than:

"Cinemas suck because they charge me to see movies."

"The supermarket sucks because it charges me for food."

"The bookstore sucks because it expects me to pay for books."

"The hardware store sucks because I have to buy the tools they sell."

"Prostitutes suck because I pay them to."

Hmm, actually, the last one makes sense. :-)

Better editors than DeePsea, for free? Of course not. Simpler maybe, but not "better". DeePsea has more funtionality than any other editor. I started with WadAuthor, am so used to it that I still use it for a good portion of my work. But, some of those DeePsea tools have worked wonders for me, such as the script decompiler (where the wad had a behavior lump but no scripts lump, and I needed to edit the scripts) and also the Hexen thing finder, whatever it's called. Have a map with a bunch of setlineidentifications and you need to search them for available identification numbers, or to locate the lines? DeePsea again.

Oh yeah, and cost? $20 - $35 is a GREAT deal for a wad editor, considering the hundreds of enjoyable hours the tools provide. Man, I can drop $20 in moments buying fast food. All gone. Burp. (OK, the family helped eat it). As a young man I spent thousands of dollars on kart racing (go-kart) over 8 years while I earned $2.50 to $7.50 an hour and loved every minute of it. There's no better deal today than DeePsea or WadAuthor.

Enjay said:

"Cinemas suck because they charge me to see movies."
"The supermarket sucks because it charges me for food."

Umm, there aren't any cinemas or supermarkets that are free...
But there are many great FREE wad editors, so i think Deepsea should be too. This game we are editing is almost nine years old and some people are still trying to make money with it...weak!
I can't register Deepsea, I really need those 20 bucks for beer.

Big_al said:

How come you could afford to register WadAuthor then?
I assume by your http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6824 post that you did, ;o)

Well, I...ummm... don't change the subject!! =D

Actually i don't really use Wadauthor, i just tried it out for fun. I have used DETH for years now and i have so used to it that i can build levels a lot faster with it, besides DETH is free! And i like it more than WA or Deep anyway.

I have used DETH for years now and i have so used to it that i can build levels a lot faster with it

I've used DETH for ages as well, all the same keyboard shortcuts work in DeepSea so I can still design as fast as I used to.

I'll edit levels with shareware deepsea, and when the limit goes out, i'll continue with DETH.

Yeah I don't know why people just use the one editor.
I still use DETH for the odd feature.

Zro said:

I'll edit levels with shareware deepsea, and when the limit goes out, i'll continue with DETH.

Thats what I will need to do when my levels for my project get too big for deepsea shareware. But Im designing maps for Legacy, using legacy features. If I continue to edit these maps in doomcad, what will happen? Would it leave the extra data alone? And because doomcad does not have a group save option for textures, how can I avoid losing them?

I keep my textures in a seperate wad while editing a level.
You can load two wads (map wad and texture wad)into Legacy using the Launcher to test your level.
All the editors I've used you have been able to load the texture & map wads in at the same time.
Once you finished your level you just merge the two wads together.

Thanks al. What about legacy 3d floors and 3d light sectors? You know, source port effects? Previous editors to deepsea havent heard of these linedef types.

ive tried opening my legacy level into the following editors, moving some stuff, and saving as a new file name.

Doomcad
Edmap
DOOMed

Only doomcad actually SAVED a wad file, and that deleted all my textures. But now ive seen the post from big al about seperate texture wad, Ill try again.
The other editors totally flopped the level, with all methods of node building. I was gonna try using deepsea's builder, but if its dos...forget it. My computer hates it, as do I. Wont work.

Any suggestions of editors that are NOT dos?
Or can anyone tell me how to get hold of Full Deepsea? I live in england, dont know if they still selling it, and it would cost me more with the distance, and I havent ordered anything before, nor bought online, dont know the methods, cant be guarenteed and DOOM3 is nearly out and they still charge for it.