Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

If the idea is to re-image Doom64 in Doom2, the bad guys unique to Doom2 should be used, over attempting to add Doom64's unique foes, IMO.

Can someone explain to me how something as basic as a sky can possibly clash? The original E1 moonbase sky looks almost IDENTICAL to the TNT E2 with rocks Baron posted (which looks fucking awesome, but as a TNT fanboy thats an expected response. I would have used Master Level's sky though Baron, the galaxies and stuff are too recognisable). For E2 and E3, both set in hell, why not use an orange sky then a red sky? There plenty of those in vanilla projects

Feels like a bit too much nitpicking there so far. Most projects change skies using all kinds of resources to get the required sense of location.

Others points being discussed are things brought up already. The sooner it gets sorted out the better. Skies especially, you can clearly see a few people being stuck by the default Doom 2 skies.

Outside of "how do we do this project", Ive done E1 properly now without any dicking around, the part of my rough mapset I suggested that I couldnt place should be

5 Tech Centre
6 Alpha Quadrant
7 Even Simpler
8 Research Lab
9 Outpost Omega
10 Final Outpost

E1 will then function accurately as a moonbase episode with Cat and Mouse as Map 11 (which is textured in moonbase style, hence my inclusion) and Even Simpler moved to Map 07 from Map 9 to use the Map 7 special. I had trouble placing Outpost Omega at first, because it has mancubi and pain elementals.

Mechadon said:

For example, someone can make a new sky texture that is the "space sky with mountains", but have it match the vanilla style.

I just tossed this together really quickly from Gez's image. I have no idea what it looks like in-game (probably like crap).

256px tall

128px tall

Unpaletted - PSD file

It would probably look 10x better without the copypasta mountains, although I tried to vary them up a bit with a silhouette of them in the background (a trick I picked up from Cage a while back).

Oh also I just realized it won't tile properly. But that's an easy fix so...if you really wanna use it, I can fix that (or someone else can). The 256px tall version is for ports like Zdoom which have mouselook (you set it up in the MAPINFO so it displays the tall version over the short version).

I can put some more effort into this if you guys like it. Let me know what you think. I can possibly even make the rest of the skies if you really want me too.

I directly copied from Doom 64 Builder to Doom Builder 2 and am going to modify it.

Well at the moment I am deciding on texturing and swapping every Doom 64 texture names to Doom 2 texture names using the "find and replace" feature, and so far I'm not so sure whether to use SKINMET1 for the walls here: mediafire.com/convkey/9216/u01aps1ma5nfrr5fg.jpg, of course not all textures are aligned yet.

If the music for this project is supposed to be Doom 2's stock music then I think D_ROMERO would be best suited to this map.

I agree, blue mountains is silly. Especially after that nonsense about skies clashing. Baron of Stuff's mashed together sky is still the best one so far.

Avoozl said:

If the music for this project is supposed to be Doom 2's stock music then I think D_ROMERO would be best suited to this map.

I for one will be utilising the soundtrack I bought from Aubrey. Could someone set up an optional low-quality one like the one in the PSX TC? D64EX doesn't allow the use of the high-quality remasters yet and I'm itching to use them.

Ragnor said:

I for one will be utilising the soundtrack I bought from Aubrey. Could someone set up an optional low-quality one like the one in the PSX TC? D64EX doesn't allow the use of the high-quality remasters yet and I'm itching to use them.

Of course I am not saying what music the project should be using, I'm just saying which music track I would use in case the project will be using the original music, but I don't believe it will though.

I hope you guys are still using the DeHackEd patch, because I've just finished making it. :P

-----FEATURES.----

-The Revenant and the Arch-Vile have been nullified.

-The Chaingunner has been replaced by the Nightmare Imp: a partially invisible Imp variant that throws Cacodemon fireballs. If you play this in ZDoom the Nightmare Imp looks like the one Scalliano used in Threshold of Pain.

-The Spider Mastermind has been replaced by the Cyberdemon: this was to ensure the Motherdemon was the last on the cast call.

-The Cyberdemon has been replaced by the Motherdemon: a boss monsters that attacks with an Arch-Vile attack followed by a trail of 4 Revenant missiles. I couldn't make it exactly like the Doom64 Motherdemon unless you're willing to sacrifice the Mancubus, the Lost Soul and the Pain Elemental. :P When the Motherdemon dies, the level ends.

-The Chaingun and the Dead Lost Soul have been swapped: this was to ensure the Nightmare Imp didn't drop a Chaingun when it died. :) Place the Dead Lost Soul object if you're using the Chaingun in your map.

-I included the map names in the original order as well. :)

Phew! It took a while, but I'm pleased with it overall. Let me know if there are any bugs. I know about the misplaced sound effects in the cast call already, by the way: not sure what I can do about that. :/

Huzzah!

Now a decision will HAVE to be made about whether it'll be pure vanilla, vanilla with D64 monsters, or both.

Ragnor said:

Ive done E1 properly now without any dicking around, the part of my rough mapset

I've been working the past couple days on MAP09 Even Simpler. Does this quote mean you've been doing the same?

Also if it's still possible to use the Revenant and the Arch-Vile, I don't see why not. It's Doom 64 in Doom 2, those monsters are part of Doom 2.

Scet said:

I've been working the past couple days on MAP09 Even Simpler. Does this quote mean you've been doing the same?

Sorry for any confusion, I played though Doom 64's E1 maps to get a feel on the maps and their progression. Due to it being in Doom 2 the game will need to be restructured around three episodes, and that means 11 moonbase levels. Doom 64 has 8 main moonbase levels, a secret moonbase level and a bonus map thats textured like a moonbase map. Even Simpler, the very first Hell map, will require the Map 7 slot for the special tags. Retexturing it as moonbase will bring the moonbase count to 11. Death Egg hasn't approved of this idea yet, so its up to him really

Episode 2 and 3 are easy to order, its all Hell with a difference in the sky past map 20. Hope I cleared that up for you.

Ragnor said:

I agree, blue mountains is silly.

It's from the Doom Alpha 0.4, for reference.

There's actually two textures, one with the planet and one without. Since using the planet texture would tile it into all four cardinal directions, I've copy/pasted the one without three times.

Personally I've always found it pretty.

I agree with Gez, IMO that alpha sky is damn near perfect for a Doom64ish background

I just accidentally insulted the alpha? I take that back then.

What I meant with that remark as I wasn't too clear:
With the right textures, and theme it would look great, but I think it would be silly for this, because Doom 64's E1 is very firmly set on a moonbase location. A lot of outdoor locations look stunning, since you can really feel a sense of isolation on a dead rock far away from life. The original look is pretty ingrained in me, even though I only recently completely finished the moonbase levels legitimately. The blue takes some of that empty feeling away. The shot of Gantlet with the sky also looks like the mountains are too huge, they look really far away in the original sky, it amplifies the moonbase feel quite a bit, as if your in a big lunar crater

I am too passionate about Doom for my own good.

I like the blue mountain sky.

I've got a case of bordem today, so I'm working on the skies a bit more. Just finished up making my previous attempt at the techbase/moon sky look a bit nicer [I think...] and I'm going to see if I can make the other skies as well.

*edit*

Oh by the way, there are a bunch of different skies...that is, more than what vanilla Doom can display. There's just three sky slots that are useable. So I guess I'll just make a few skies and you guys can pick n' choose (or not use them at all, which is fine too). In particular the fire skies in the latter maps is something that would be very tricky to pull off (its very doubtful that I could anyways...). I can probably make some similar skies to the ones found in the first half of the game though.

Anyways, just something to think about.

I've made some Hectic level.. it used some custom textures and expanded the areas a bit, but I could rework it to fit into this?

Mechadon said:

Oh by the way, there are a bunch of different skies...that is, more than what vanilla Doom can display. There's just three sky slots that are useable.

It can always be a MAPINFO thing so that it works fine in vanilla but advanced ports get more eye candy.

Mechadon said:

In particular the fire skies in the latter maps is something that would be very tricky to pull off (its very doubtful that I could anyways...).

There's an animated texture version of the fire sky here, but it takes 100 frames so it might break some limits in vanilla.

I think animated skies are possible in vanilla, though, by using some of the texture order-based hacks (e.g., instead of sorting the textures alphabetically, but SKY3 between FIREBLU2 and FIREBLUE or something like that).

Ragnor said:

Sorry for any confusion, I played though Doom 64's E1 maps to get a feel on the maps and their progression. Due to it being in Doom 2 the game will need to be restructured around three episodes, and that means 11 moonbase levels. Doom 64 has 8 main moonbase levels, a secret moonbase level and a bonus map thats textured like a moonbase map. Even Simpler, the very first Hell map, will require the Map 7 slot for the special tags. Retexturing it as moonbase will bring the moonbase count to 11. Death Egg hasn't approved of this idea yet, so its up to him really

I approve of your map listing now. :)

Ok, here's Hectic... http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/jimi_hectic_v001.wad

Should be Chocolate compatible. It uses just Doom II textures. The extended areas are still there, so beware.. Rewards for completing the level is backpack, plasmagun, bfg, some cells and megasphere.

Oh, and btw.. there's 4 barrels missing from the staging area. Also the switches insetted to the walls were really high.

Jimi said:

Ok, here's Hectic... http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/jimi_hectic_v001.wad

Should be Chocolate compatible. It uses just Doom II textures. The extended areas are still there, so beware.. Rewards for completing the level is backpack, plasmagun, bfg, some cells and megasphere.

Oh, and btw.. there's 4 barrels missing from the staging area. Also the switches insetted to the walls were really high.

Good god this is fucking harsh. I love it.