Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

First DOOM III screenshots

This was originally posted by dark-tenshi in another thread, but I think this deserves a thread of its own :)

UPDATE : Here are the high-res screenies we've been waiting for. Thanks to Sev for the head's up. (sorry I'm fucking with threads like this, but I want to keep the forum tidy troughout this whole mess :)

http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/doom3b/10.jpg
http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/doom3b/11.jpg
http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/doom3b/12.jpg
http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/doom3b/9.jpg

Oh well, here are my comments to these shots

Pic 1

Hmm, at a first look, I didn't find that zombie soldier very impressive - well, it's of course awesome but it didn't thrill my mind at first. Then I zoomed in at it and had a closer look at its deformed body and - wow! That detail work is awesome! Totally damn incredible... observe those blood-vessels!

The pic also shows some very neat stuff in the background. Yeah, have a look at those pipes and the structure behind them and the way they're lit!

Pic 2

Mr Handsome. Gack. I can't wait to fight guys of his kind in the final game :) The skin is awesome - the cloth not the least!

Some things are odd here though.

First - why two identical looking guys in the same place? With the same scar on the chest and all...

Second - don't you think the neck looks a little weird, at least on the one in the background?

Nice texturework on the wall...

Pic 3

Ahhh! Look at that guy in the middle! Look at him! You can even see his teeth separate from the rest of his face!

Ahhh! The lighting! Gack!

* gets new pants *

Pic 4

Well this surely is the most impressive game screenshot I have ever seen. The creature, the guy, the blood on the floor, the reflections in the sinks, the tile bricks, the no smoking sign, everything else, and once again the demon.

UNF! AAAAH!!!

Well, where to start. That first shot looks like the mutated marine dsm so beautifully captured in one of his drawings. The second seems to be the Space Janitor himself. And his brother. The third is a bunch of former humans - nice haircut ! And the fourth just clinches it. Oh yes.

All the shots look a little too sharp though, especially in the background of the new Bathroom shot - probably because CNN didn't properly resize them.

i suspect that cnn might have enhanced the shots a little, or not. In my opinion, I'd like to see another demonstration clip of D3 more, cuz' it feels much more realistic, that explains it, rather than just shots :)

the new designed zombiemen look awesome, nice haircut, indeed. And their scary looking-face and finally their height finally look proper enough =]

i've been wondering about the demon in the bathroom scene, could it be a remake of the original pink piggy, DEMON from Vanillas?

[EDIT]A very intriguing story with an attractive foreshadowing includes great suspences - when it mentions a scientist's betrayal, everything changes from now on! A little suggestion from myself, it would be better to give a bit detail to explain why a scientist betrays UAC, or could he be a phony who tries to intrude into UAC and release the evil source? Story will set in 2145, sounds very interesting, but I wish they will clarify on how Flynn, the marine, got back to Mars from Earth, which was where we left off 8 years ago.

If these shots are released in high-res, I'll update them with 640x480 versions and link to the full size ones. The more I look at it, the more I'm sure CNN fucked the pics up in the resize.

Anyway. The fat guys kinda remind me of a monster in Monolith's BLOOD. And the thing that's most impressive to me is the specular lighting. It makes the blood-vessel things in the marine's arm look really cool, for one thing.

God. CNN Money, of all places.

I hope they're doing a remake of the original music too.
Add the music from Doom 1 or 2, and I think I'm satisfied.

Disorder said:

Add the music from Doom 1 or 2, and I think I'm satisfied.

Dunno about that :P

I think they (Trent Reznor??? yuck) should use the melody from E2M2 for the soundtrack's main theme though...

Disorder said:

If they do, I hope they only do it with live instruments. Otherwise I don't think it'll be worth it.

I say symphony orchestra all the way. Kick Trent and get John Williams or Howard Shore or someone, damnit...

I loved Michael Kamen's job on Event Horizon, too bad those Orb idiots overlayed the worst techno shit on earth on top of some good parts.

I don't think remaking everything, or even most of the stuff in the new game isn't such a good idea, possibly except the gameplay.

/me looks some more at the screenshots, scrutinizing every pixel with 32x zoom in PSP.

I don't think remaking everything, or even most of the stuff in the new game isn't such a good idea, possibly except the gameplay.

Double negation. Heh. Had me thinking for ten seconds :P

Haircuts??? I don't see any haircuts on any of those screenshots - it's still to dark to see that.
General impression: I don't think this stuff look as cinematic as the macworld video gave me the impression of - most of these screenshots have a strange, cartoonish feel to them, especially the one with the fucked up marine.
I must confess that to me, it looks as if that zombie marine has two chests or something - he generally looks really weird if you ask me.
It seems that he's wearing some kind of helmet too, I just can't see it properly, damn.
Nice teeth he's got.

Thanks so much for posting the screen shots, FlatHead!

I guess this is the end of the console wars... The detail and work the artists put into this is breathtaking.

about the sound...
Trent Renzor is a very creative person, i don't think he would remake the original score. no i think we can expect a very cool new score.
But if it is a remake, its made by trent so it will be an awesome remake ;).

o yeah from the old thread, FlatHead commented on mt. olympus. i just wanna say i hope we encounter the mountain too, only i hope its not in a building on the mountain, but maybe a big battle on it, in the open. yes, in a huge area, not the conventional doom corridors. I think the combination of atmospheric and surface detail would be awesome for a martian surface battle!

I must confess that to me, it looks as if that zombie marine has two chests or something - he generally looks really weird if you ask me.

It struck my mind too - but I think it can be explained by the fact that he has turned into a hellish zombie and somehow mutated and gotten deformed. If you look at the guys in the other pics, they have a quite realistic anatomy, so this one might just be an exception.

I think though, if it is the case that he is intentionally deformed by the designer, that he shouldn't be that symmetric - he could have a different looking deformation on the other side.

i think you understand what i'm trying to say so relax...

No, because Trent Reznor sucks big time.

mt. olympus

What about the good ol' Mt. Erebus of DOOM and Mt. Pain of Final DOOM? :)

Hmm, the screens are looking nice but i want something in motion !
Or at least a high res screen....
I'm excited like a small kid at christmas ;)

gatewatcher said:

about the sound...
Trent Renzor is a very creative person, i don't think he would remake the original score. no i think we can expect a very cool new score.
But if it is a remake, its made by trent so it will be an awesome remake ;).

o yeah from the old thread, FlatHead commented on mt. olympus. i just wanna say i hope we encounter the mountain too, only i hope its not in a building on the mountain, but maybe a big battle on it, in the open. yes, in a huge area, not the conventional doom corridors. I think the combination of atmospheric and surface detail would be awesome for a martian surface battle!

If you're one of those tasteless people who liked the Quake1 soundtrack, then take my advice: Be very, very careful what you say in the future, ESPECIALLY when I'm around.

About that weird marine: Yeah, I guess he represents some sort of Hellish transformation, but I hope not all zombie soldiers look like that.
And what's up with that helmet? It looks like Ranger's (the Q1 guy) "cardboard box" helmet! I hope that it's only the lighting that makes it look that way, because if the generic Doom marine helmet looks like that failed attempt at making a well-designed helmet, I'm gonna feel unhappy for a very long time.

On another matter, it seems that we'll get a lot of healthy variations of former humans in Doom 3: Various former human civilians, former human soldiers (riflemen, shotgunners, etc.), maybe even former human scientists.
Funny so fat space janitors are in that universe ;-)

[edit]

No, it will replace the chaingun.

/me winks at dsm

I don't think they'll replace the chaingun - just move it up the hierarchy. Think about it, the chaingun would suck if it was as slow as the old one, but speeding up its rate of fire would make it unbalanced if it stayed in its old position in the weapons hierarchy. And replacing the db shotgun with an assault rifle would be the dumbest possible move for id as lots of people would be howling for their blood if it wasn't there.

Flathead: HOW DARE YOU CLOSE THE "first looks of Doom 3" thread!!!!!!
;-)
Seriously, why the Hell did you lock it?[/edit]

I really like the third picture from the series at CNN's site, after cranking up its gamma a bit. It makes the shadows really come out. See here.

By the way

First DOOM III screenshots

LOOK WHO'S BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK DURING THE PAST YEAR!

Mastaba said:

I really like the third picture from the series at CNN's site, after cranking up its gamma a bit. It makes the shadows really come out. See here.

I agree wholeheartedly - this screenie ROX!