Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

I don't just make doom maps...

Recently, me and my friend Viper had Valve hammer editor installed again on steam, we remembered some old noobish HL2 maps by me, they are very sub-standard and even outright crap in most cases.

I am only going to speak about the "best" 2 substandard maps I did which are "Grassfort" and some unfinnished experimental zombie maps. I have videos of both ("Grassfort" map on Vipers YT and the zombie project on mine)
Grass fort:

Zombie thing:

please tell me if they are at least an ok base for a better map, I know they are shit though...

...But my mapping started on Timesplitters. I still have a copy of Timesplitters: Future Perfect for the PS2, I also have made 50+ maps for single player involving crazy things like mowing down baseball bat armed mutant deers with a minigun and infiltrating and unlocking bases as a remote control cat! The ideas sound good but they were often executed wrong and came out bad, but I loved them! I guess Timesplitters is why I like my current sub-par maps.

After Timesplitters, I moved onto multiplayer maps for Far Cry 2, and I have been told they are fun and good! I usualy made huge open maps brim with detail or themed CQC maps (IE hotels, my best being a rooftop battle map). I would host games featuring these maps and I recieved some very good reviews!

I then moved to Halo... And I have only produced 1 finnished map...

... And then I was able to move to Doom and I love it!

What do you map for? Do you like mapping? Are you happy with what you made? I would love to know!

EDIT: I also release either overdetailed maps for Trails or joke maps.

Even if your maps are substandard, I have to say I'm impressed. I have Source SDK myself, and I have to say the Hammer editor is the most complicated program I have seen on a computer yet. My first endeavour with it was an attempt at a square room (as you do), and..well, the editor did the exact same thing as my brain: It crashed.

I'm too scared to go back, but apparently it'll be easier to mod for Source 2 when it's released.

Thanks, my first hammer map looks like a 90's wad, I decided not to record it due to hordes of enemies and awful random textures.
My secret is that ALL my structures are either boxes or hollow boxes, then they are ungrouped, flipped, cut and twisted to make my maps, but it takes time (Grassfort took a month for me).
However thanks to many YT tutorials I am making all sorts of cool things.

I had some success with maps using Hammer, but never to the point of completing one. I'm guessing that you have the fundamentals together with making sure your map is "air tight", which is the most important thing. You may have better luck with QuArK if you're still working on basic stuff without getting too ambitious.

Bucket said:

You may have better luck with QuArK if you're still working on basic stuff without getting too ambitious.

Is that a Quake builder by any chance? I like simplistic things (My GCSE art as an example) and from the little I know of Quake editors should make it interesting.

If I am allowed the attempt of judging myself then my Heretic 2 maps turned out to be much more impressive and innovative than my maps for either DOOM 2 or DOOM 1. But that's just my eyes on my own work.

If you're going to map for Quake, you might as well just go with GTK Radiant or one of the forks. It's the standard for Quake engines, basically, and the learning curve isn't bad at all. It's different than Hammer, but it's no harder.

Hammer (Worldcraft) used to be an awesome editor back in the HL1 days, but the version included in Valve's Source SDKs seems a lot more unstable and really chugs with detailed levels. Maybe it was always that bad and I didn't have anything to compare it to.

188DarkRevived: I for one judge my own works all the time, I see no reason in not doing so.
I never played Heretic 2, what are your maps like for it (theme, difficulty ect)?

Dragonsbrethren: GTK Radiant, sounds and (from YTing it) looks fun and easier to use than VHE, I'm gonna check it out when I can!
As for VHE it is extremely volitile and laggy compared to some of my other editors, but more complex, useful and advanced as well, it is a wierd one.

Yes, QuArK is a Quake editor (though it has support for plenty of other games). It's very close in design to Hammer, so you should have no problem getting familiar with it.

I've made a tiny Sven Co-op "kill" map in the past but it was office style and with no exit. It took a long time because to deal with leaks and crap like that. I didn't bother with 3d mapping since them.

mrthejoshmon said:

188DarkRevived: I for one judge my own works all the time, I see no reason in not doing so.
I never played Heretic 2, what are your maps like for it (theme, difficulty ect)?

I've made 4 maps for it in total. One is strictly for multiplayer bladematch, two others are strictly for multiplayer deathmatch, and the fourth one supports both deathmatch and singleplayer interchangeably.
Difficulty settings are not implemented, but I kept testing it to ensure that it provides quite a challenge.
Regarding textures, I've imported tons from Wolf3D and from DOOM.
I might release a fifth map at some point within the next few years if I get in the mood and find the time for it.

I'm a painfully slow mapper in any game, and I have to do everything iteratively. My NDCP map's build time was longer than Daikatana's.

There are days I'm tempted to try building something in a new game again. Back in the days when Hammer was still Worldcraft, I found it unstable because my lappy only had 64 MB of RAM. It crashed one day and nuked the map I'd bee working, even though I'd been saving regularly. :/

I had been learning by building a Half-Life conversion of E1M6. The lighting design was way too much fun. I found working with brushes to be utterly slow, mostly thanks to all the clumsy views I had to juggle in the editor. Makes me wonder if building maps in a real-time 3D editor would be significantly faster.

Bucket: Sounds like its up my alley, when I get my PC back I will definitly give these editors a go.

Mr. Chris: I know what you mean, every wall just seems to have that little eye catching gap in it, in theory I could just make a box and use prop_static objects to populate it with less hassle and more detail.

188DarkRevived: I like MP maps, people seem less focused on detail but more on gameplay (My DM revival map screams this), I also like the idea of using wolf/doom textures in 3d games and I may even incorporate this style myself one day.

Aliotroph?: Oh don't get me started on map loss, I had to rebuild my Grassfort map 2-3 times over from lost data after crashing. From the ones I have used the realtime Far Cry editors are super easy to use, Timeslitters: Future Perfect's 2D editor is extremely user friendly as well but more limited.

I think I downloaded Hammer and gave up after trying to make a room.

Otherwise I'm more familiar with Doom Builder 2, ChaosEdit for Wolf3D games, and GTK Radient which I used for making terrible Jedi Knight 2 rooms.

Clonehunter said:

I think I downloaded Hammer and gave up after trying to make a room.

Oh the horror you are greeted with first thing upon loading hammer, there is many YT tuts on the game but I still do not understand 3/4 of the functions available.