Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

fda for farthest reach. fun map, no comment that hasn't been mentioned already. would make a great map for early in the wad.

daiyu I noticed some missing textures in your level:

The Farthest Reach - V2 (requires cc4-tex)

-Changed secrets. Previous BFG secret change to a Soulsphere, previous hidden lift "texture clue" replaced with hidden switch. New secret added.
-Blue key ambush modified. Revenants will now persuade the player to leave the terrace and raised bars will entrap him in the arena for a short time.
-Blue key arena terrace modified. Added blocking lines to prevent Arch-Viles from flinging a player into the no man's land.
-Red key lift ambush modified. The ambush was fortified, and a switch will now lower the bars to the lift. However, a door will close behind the player to trap them in the area and face the ambush.
-Red key ambush modified. The blood falls will slowly stop flowing revealing some mancubi. The ambush has been fortified, and the delivery system optimised. Also, the cyberdemons will now join the fun after some time.
-Yellow key tele-trap fixed.
-Yellow key ambush modified. The ambush was fortified.
-Some multiplayer compatibility added.

Ribbiks said:

fda for farthest reach. fun map, no comment that hasn't been mentioned already. would make a great map for early in the wad.

daiyu I noticed some missing textures in your level

Well, why can't I watch the whole run? When I open it using 2013a4_New.wad, it shows the player running circles and killed by pinkies in the beginning.

Fixed! 4 changes:

1. Missing textures in central white room for the lights, fixed!
2. Picture changes in Central Yellow Area, the connect to Red(Lady Choi) and Blue(Lady Han) Area.
3. Similar to (2), but added ceilings for some texture fix.
4. 2 funny logos in Blue PG Area change to UAC logos.

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/947fhn

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Well, why can't I watch the whole run? When I open it using 2013a4_New.wad, it shows the player running circles and killed by pinkies in the beginning.

Because it's an fda for Rayzik's new map :P
Might have to download these other maps at some point.

Rayzik said:

-Blue key ambush modified. Revenants will now persuade the player to leave the terrace and raised bars will entrap him in the arena for a short time.
-Blue key arena terrace modified. Added blocking lines to prevent Arch-Viles from flinging a player into the no man's land.

I really like what you did to BSK trap, took me quite a while to figure out a 'safe' route. The viles are so random there, I don't think any route will guarantee success. Love it!

Rayzik said:

-Red key lift ambush modified. The ambush was fortified, and a switch will now lower the bars to the lift. However, a door will close behind the player to trap them in the area and face the ambush.
-Red key ambush modified. The blood falls will slowly stop flowing revealing some mancubi. The ambush has been fortified, and the delivery system optimised. Also, the cyberdemons will now join the fun after some time.

Now RSK trap is more fun. Difficulty is nowhere near BSK trap. I think that's good.

I noticed that the blood isn't, and never was, the same as the red floor near spawn or the imp pit with a switch. So I see why it doesn't deal damage to the player.

Rayzik said:

-Yellow key tele-trap fixed.
-Yellow key ambush modified. The ambush was fortified.
-Some multiplayer compatibility added.

I noticed I could max the map now. The 3 barons at the switch downstairs are accessible. Though, build stairs to the elevator at mastermind got broken. It worked fine in v1.

__Lagger__ said:

Though, build stairs to the elevator at mastermind got broken. It worked fine in v1.

The Farthest Reach - V2.1

Everything appears in working order now over there.

All that is left is full multiplayer implementation.

Download: Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth

screenshot 1
screenshot 2

This is the map I posted about on page 1. Last year I made the start up until where the floor lowers and you go outside (plus the sp_rock1 hills in the corner), but quit before making the outside and the rest of the map. Then I picked it back up and finished it over the last two weeks. It's like Degrassi/Supernib part 2.

damn ToD, judging by the automap alone that map is an absolute beast. here's an fda that only gets ~700 monsters in, or so, feel free to scoff at my inability to handle traps gracefully

Will have to play that one through with saves to get a good perusal. It felt a bit less merciless than degrassi, but looking at the number of secrets I'm guessing there's the weird secret platformy things. I was kinda disappointed there was no wonky midi this time around :p

Thanks for the fda, I think you did good. :) There are probably some annoying puzzly parts if you don't know what to do. Yeah it's probably my 'biggest' map, but only has 24k sidedefs. I made it in two separate parts and then joined them together as one map at the very end, so that my old computer wouldn't take forever to build nodes when saving or going into 3d mode all the time. I made it on my internet comp (no sound card) so didn't do anything with music yet, but there will be in the final.

Awesome stuff.

Got stuck in some part, no idea what was I supposed to do there. I sort of missed YK at first as well because doomguy refused to pick it. Those AVs on mountains can get stuck on edges due to boom. Not really FDA although further parts were seen for the first time.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/shith21.lmp

Nice one. At the part where you got stuck, you have to take that lift to the dark metal pillars and then jump down to the greenstone pillars below and into the exit signs. Don't you love unintuitive gameplay? For the AVs on mountains, I leave them alone until after getting red key.

Looks really fun to blast through after figuring out the cryptic route. I IDDQD ran, and IDKFAed keys since I couldn't find any. Hmm.. 76 secrets. Of course, after you post a demo, the map is basically "solved" because nobody will be able to do it faster, heh.

Yeah, all the secrets are platforming parts, but there's one super-secret with a surprise inside...

Trying to do a demo but the farthest I got was the fight after lowering the red skull doors. I'm gonna edit a couple annoying parts and post a new version.

I made a map for the 100 lines project, and I believe it's actually good regardless of the limitations; but mulling it over, it seems likely most people who play that project will see it as, as Capellan adequately puts it, "a giant triangle filled with things". So I thought I'd submit this here instead, if there's any audience for it it won't be anywhere else. It might be too gimmicky anyway, but it makes more sense as a SF reject than any other option.

Here's a fda, pretty random running everywhere, got extremely lucky in several spots, finished in 22min or so. Was fun nonetheless, despite of overly safe play. Checked the map afterwards and the rush strat (bfg through everything, run behind the final cybs to make them kill revs, then clear the remnants) worked, at least with saves, but i gave up on doing that for now, cuz noob. Walls alignment is funny in that it allows for pretty sick elastic collisions. Mainly into berserks :p Not sure if there are any annoyances/bugs that i could point at this moment, everything seemed fine. Btw is it me or the mapping style resembles Ribbiks' or gggmork's experimental maps rather than Phml's ones?

Also checked Lagger's trick or cheat map and hooooly cow that was amazing. The whole map looks like an immense amount of work has been put into every aspect of it. Right off the bat there is a variety of routes to choose from and the map reveals more and more ways between each area as you progress further.The very beginning can scare off an unprepared player, but once you get past the 2min30sec spot alive, the map will keep you until the end, offering a hefty amount of tricks which are actually solvable without spending hours in doombuilder. The traps are bloody and smart, i can remember only one that is done entirely by circlestrafing.
Few things i disliked a little bit though:
-Blue key cybs obviously. I guess one can wake them and do something else while waiting for most of them to teleport in, then easily wipe them out. I should've tested that probably. Either way, feels a little limiting.
-Start is intimidating, and so far i managed to find only one route that works if you haven't discovered a "mountain trick" in one of the first rooms. Even without it, i probably wouldn't have guessed to jump onto that place later in the map. Maybe making the normal way a little more obvious would be helpful.
-Red skull key doesn't have his own trap! Feels anticlimactic. Maybe hiding few mobs in the walls would work. I'd prefer scary viles to teleport into some remotely distant room, but since the map is already heavily equipped with viles, it's probably not a good idea. But even a joke-trap would be better than nothing in my opinion - say, a group of monsters teleport in and then they teleport out again, or just die. Something to release the tension of a player, since he's expecting something nasty to happen there.
-The invuln secret with tons of viles on it and a button nearby. It's fine by itself, but anyone who would try to rush to it while demorecording (the easiest of fast uv-speed routes i found goes through this part, for example) would have a bad time because of having to do a precise sr50 jump with infinite tall mobs blocking your way. It doesnt help that they keep teleporting in a room and there's no good way to kill them. Luring monsters away works, but it'd be more fun if the jumping line was surrounded by lines that block their movement. I've done a couple attempts and was blocked every single time, maybe i'm just missing something there.

Heh, that was awesome jongo. My biggest concern was the map might be too obscure without looking at it in an editor. When you said you finished in 22 minutes, I immediately assumed you meant in your final attempt; but no, you go and beat it on your very first life, casually strolling through parts designed with the BFG in mind before having grabbed one, and actually using the RL for most of the map. Impressive. :)

Admittedly, the revenant horde can get repetitive if they break the spider wall while you're still far away, or if they force you to pull back. I'm wondering if I should stick cybies in the spiderMMs during the berserk pack part; so they'd be unlikely to wake up too early, but could act as shields from rev fireballs, until the 2 spiderMMs die, at which point they'd add some firepower through infighting. But then it might make things even more chaotic and force people to play even more defensively, and then adding the frustration of taking a rocket to the face while they're carefully dodging a flurry of rev fireballs, so I'm not too sure on that.

I'm thinking I should "widen" the exit (remove one torch from each side row), though. It's definitely a little cramped in there - which was the intention, so you don't just charge in BFG blazing and inchstrafe your way to victory, but I think I went a little overboard initially and never bothered to smooth it out.

jongo is really good at fda, could maybe challenge lost heretic.
I just went to the central cyber area every time (didn't think about going sideways through imp path) and died like 15 times then quit and deleted my fda.

hah, that map is pretty hilarious, and yah excellent fda jongo.

I'd have no problems including that one in sf13 somewhere, perhaps 31+

gggmork said:

could maybe challenge lost heretic.

I don't intend to diminish his abilities, but I really think that he would fail on his first attempt. Probably on several subsequent ones, too. I miss him anyway. Him, and Hitherto, and barely active skepticist. Where are you guys?.. *sigh*

And jongo makes me feel incompetently lame. I scrapped my fda myself, though I can't say I tried really hard. My most successful attempt resulted in 2k+ kills with RL from the very first section (initially filled with imps and demons), but then cybs & revs from IoS part had broken through SMs and started spraying their shit all over the place. Crap.

And jongo makes me feel incompetently lame.

It's pretty nice to hear such flattering words, but that demo was just a fluke. On the contrary, my 2 hours long Red Recluse fda was a great candidate for an award of the most death-filled fda ever, which subsequently led to a complete destruction of all lmp evidence whatsoever, so i guess it balances out a little in the end ;)

I'm wondering if I should stick cybies in the spiderMMs during the berserk pack part

Sounds like a great idea. And i don't think cybs would pose much of a treat considering the amount of revs there, they'll be too busy fighting with the swarm.

I went ahead and did the change, but I wasn't too happy with how it turned out. It wasn't as straightforward as I thought it might be to get those cybs to infight, and having eight of them around was just overkill. In the end I removed 2 cybies from the north and put them inside the first masterminds on each side.

Also added co-op starts, although I'm not sure how useful that will be, as every big MP source port out there is based on ZDoom, right? (so the map would "break" in all of them, with stuck things popping out of each other at level start)

Three Lines v2

3rd map designed by me for SF2013, "Shanghai Massacre 1927" is here.

This map mainly inspired from 2 maps, Scythe 2 Map17(Canyon of Blood) and Plutonia 2 Map28(The Bloodwall), the outdoor and indoor respectively. This map is huge and it's very dark, also no BFG before the final battleground. And perhaps it's also the 1st doom map with Chinese name.

Here are some information about this map:

Pwad: Slaughterfest 2013(Please play with SH-2013a_fix.wad now)
Map level: 21
Map name: Shanghai Massacre 1927
Author: Daiyu Xiaoxiang(Me)
Monsters count: 900(UV Hard), 804(HMP Medium), 614(ITTYD Easy)
Inspiration: Scythe 2 Map17, Plutonia 2 Map28
Map size: Huge
Secrets: 3
Music used: "Sinister" by Robert Prince(Same as E2M6)
Tested Engine: PrBoom-Plus
Editor used: Doombuilder, XWE
Can't run with: Not sure
Play with complevel: 2
Textures from: Doom 2, Community Chest 4(cc4-tex.wad), Stardate 20X6

Screenshots:

1. Start of the map, outdoor "Canyon of Blood" area.
2. The warehouse of Canyon of Blood, 1st battleground with force shotgunning.
3. The 1st bloodwall zone, also 1st encounter with the cyberdemon.
4. The dark blue techbase.
5. The 2nd bloodwall zone.
6. Final battleground.

Pictures used:
1. Lin Huiyin
2. Chen Xiaoxu
3. Teresa Teng
4. Princess Pearl/Huan Zhu Ge Ge/My Fair Princess
5. Yue Lin
6. Empresses in the Palace
7. Dae Jang Geum
8. The Little Nyonya
9. And others from Baidu Forum and various websites.

Map download available:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tbls4c

Nomonster test:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7lovpw

I was gonna complain about it being really tedious, then I watched ggg's demo and realized I never picked up the ssg -.-

pretty fun map, my only complaint is that I found the slow-paced gameplay in the first few areas is discouraging (to try again) when I die after making decent progress. I'll play through with saves and such to check out the later areas, which (by automap alone) look more intense.

The detailing is a bit strange as usual, with pictures of random women plastered about in a manner similar to how you would expect a serial-killer to obsessively pin prospective/previous targets to their wall. At least that's how I'm choosing to interpret it for my own amusement :)

I tried the map and I felt a little awkward about the pictures too. They are very out of place in Doom, if you want to express pride in national figures I'm not sure maps are the place for it. There isn't really any other justification for their inclusion.

Exodus 21 FDA

Nice looks. I liked how the first 3D floor acted as a focal point right at the spot where everything happens.

I didn't like the start, couldn't find a way to get through those 4 chaingunners except plain luck. There's maps where a hard start isn't a problem, maps where you essentially get a reset state right after that part, but here there's not that much health and you need to make everything count, so it's just painful to lose almost everything in the first ten seconds and immediately know this means you're going to go through the next 2 minutes or so with a huge handicap.

Beyond that it always felt as if I was missing some ammo to play it my way, and was instead meant to play it in a very specific way I wasn't privy to; and as a result I fell back to super defensive play. I don't think this is as bad as the above, or even that this is necessarily bad.

But then, every one monster out of two seems to be an arch-vile, and two thirds of the time that arch-vile will pop up out of sight (those ratios are entirely accurate. fact!). So not only you can ruin your chances early on by taking too much damage, not only you can screw yourself by missing a few shots, but you can also mess your run simply by being at the wrong place for too long.

I can see this map being interesting once you learn it all. Thing is, even now that I've reached the exit I'm still not at that point. My run was a combination of dumb luck and brute force. It just seems extremely punishing without foreknowledge, and it seems you either need to be very bright, observant and quick on your feet, or watch a demo/open it in an editor, to really figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, it was still fun to play. I liked the final fight with the spiderMM and 4 revs, too. As is, it could fit as a late map kind of thing, breaking up the horde gameplay with something just as hard (if not harder) but different.

Grain of Salt said:

Remix of "Exodus"

I could have sworn Ribbiks has done that.
My first constant thought was 'where's the fucking ammo?!'. The second one was a little bit more constructive, something like 'too route-dependent'. The directions chosen by player determine everything, yet mistakes are hardly forgiven. Didn't finish, don't like such approach. More pain than pleasure.