Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vdgg

Explanada - inspired by Strain MAP17, Vile Flesh MAP06 etc.

===========================================================================
Advanced engine needed : Any limit-removing port

Description : A map with a classic vibe, inspired by STRAIN
MAP17, Vile Flesh MAP06 and others.

===========================================================================

http://www.speedyshare.com/Zye2c/explanada1-2.zip

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/wojtunio/xpl01_zpsa6bcb49c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/wojtunio/xpl02_zpsab49759e.png

Really nice level! I love the classic feel to the map, it has some very cool unique fights and creative ideas something that I'm seeing less and less of, as authors are getting more "professional". I hope to see more maps like this from you. :)

FDA. One decent attempt followed by many awful attempts, each worse than previous, then I finally got serious.
This was excellent! The map continued to surprise me with its interesting designs and clever setups. A couple of notes:
- Pain elementals in sector 1041 can be seen before they raise, looks a bit silly.
- Lower unpegged flag on the big platform that you have to raise multiple times confused me for a moment, at some point I thought that I broke it and it can't move anymore. But yeah, that flag is needed for the metal bars... unless you move them away from the border just a little?
I think there was some other place with inappropriate lower unpegged flag but I didn't take notes... :)

@DeathevokatioN - thank you for kind words. I have some more ideas which I hope they are unique as well (enough for maybe one "normal" and one really unorthodox map), but it is unlikely I will create a map in the near future. I'm just very slow and now when I realize the amout of work it takes... OMG

@Memfis FDA

Spoiler

Nice, I saw many surprises as well:
- you tried a window jump from a compblue room from a top of a console to another compblue room. I really must make sure this is impossible, it would seriously break everything
- you discovered yet another way to get the blue armor secret
a) intended way: raise the platform at least twice and walk through the tunnel. Only this way you get a box of rockets as well
b) your method of raising the plat to the maximum and jumping
c) a strafejump from sector 505, top of the stairs. This is something I can't do myself due to difficulty, but it is possible
- an attempt to jump outside through a window. It's very tempting, you're not the first one who tried it :) It is impassable because it would be too easy to get outside, I can't think of any reward for such an easy jump.
- I wasn't sure whether leave the little borders in the slime or just punish the player with 5% damage all the way. I think I did the right thing by leaving this as it is. A player may not take any damage, but the slime makes him think twice before exploring more.
- Pain elementals, I should agree, especially since you fired rockets at their horns from the distance
- Lower unpegged just for the fence, I didn't think about it, if it is possible at all (will not interfere the platform's movement), I'll try it

vdgg said:

Spoiler

It is impassable because it would be too easy to get outside, I can't think of any reward for such an easy jump.

but i wanna go outside, waaah! no need for rewards, it just looks cool and we want to explore what's there, even if it's nothing. or maybe you can put one of those scrolling textures there somewhere and make it say "so you made the jump. here's your reward." and put a bullet clip there.

Cool map. Nice to see you mapping again vdgg, I wish more demo players would map too. You'll become much faster at it if you keep doing it.

EDIT: I actually liked how you could see the PEs horns peeking up from the floor. :)