Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Fun with Flats

Okay, here's today's big question --

I'm trying to make something that looks like a street, you know, those things that are outside made from asphalt? Anyway, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to give me some asphalt flats. I can't get it to look good using the ones that are already in Doom, so if anyone knows of any good custom ones that resemble blacktop, it'd be much appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just have to make do with Flat5_4.

ceil5_1 looks like a good one. but wouldn't it be cool if there was flat that had the lines like a real street. what can you use to edit flats anyway?

just add a sector with a different flat for the lines and maybe even raise it one unit.

rrock03 is decent

Is that a Doom2 flat? Just wondering, if it is, I can copy and paste it via WinTex easily enough.

what can you use to edit flats anyway?

WinTex. You can load any 64x64 pixel .bmp file as a new flat.

just add a sector with a different flat for the lines and maybe even raise it one unit.

I'm just using flat19, it's as close to a pure white flat as there is, besides comp01 which has those weird lines on it.

Thanks for the help so far =)

Eternal Doom had streets in few levels, but TNT probaply used their own flats.

Archvile64 said:

I'm just using flat19, it's as close to a pure white flat as there is, besides comp01 which has those weird lines on it.

White? Blacktop? Those flats are gray. Sound like your monitor brightness is up too high or? [also the first one FLAT5_4]

Btw, XWE and DeePsea can also import FLATS.

There are some streets in Longwad.zip, by Steve Long. His text files says you can use what you want. You should be able to down load the file at the regular place. He has two or three wads that are excellent, old school. Maybe some of his stuff might help.

His stuff is very creative since it was done in the old days. I like his wads a lot. He has also done a number of maps for Duke 3d and Unreal.

"edit"

Ok so I am an idiot.

Just checked Long wad. He used rrock03 and flat19 and just built flat sectors for the "White lines" He kept the street somewhat dark so the rrock03 texture looks almost black.

Sorry :(

I see a lot of FLAT1 being used for roadways. If it didn't have that diagonal stripe I think it would be the best.

rrock03 for the pavement and flat19 for the stripes seems to be working really well.

Here, scroll down to the bottom and you can see it.