Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

Completing three old levels of mine

Hi all.

Been a while since I posted something here, but I am been a still around reading topics from time to time.

Lately I got interested in Doom again after some time away from the game. I had three levels collecting dust on my harddrive which I am now planning on finishing and releasing one at a time during the summer. They are so close to completion that it would be a pitty for them to disappear into the dark corners of my harddrive.

I will update this topic as I finish the levels (last update 4th of July 2013)

If you have the time I would love to get some feedback on them before I release them to the archieves. Any comments and suggestions for the level are much appreciated.

#1 "C'mon bro, I got tigerblood!"
It is a Doom 2 level that runs on map 01, port required, tested primarily with zDoom. The only new graphic is an orange sky. It's medium in size, not too many monsters, brick and metal, brown and green colors. Lots of trigger effects. Should be fun and probably kinda old-school since I am still making levels like 1999!

Link to /idgames

#2 "Sealed in blood"
This one is a Doom E3M1 map. Suggestions or comments for title of map welcome (I struggled with this one). It's red and bloody. Not that many monsters, but lots of action. Very E3 like in appearence and such. Should be good fun for those who like secrets as I crammed 6 of them in there! A new record for me I think :) Again, like the one above, this map is oldschool so don't expect über detail or fancy features, there isn't any.

Download seinblod.zip

#3 "High/Low 5"
Right, so finally, after I don't know how many years, this monster is finally ready to be released for testing! This map marks the conclusion to my High/Low series. The other maps are for Ult. Doom, this one is for Doom 2. It is mostly inspired by the city themed maps from the original game. It is pretty big and complex, so keep your eyes open and senses sharp! :) There are many tricks and traps in this map, but not tons of monsters. I have only tested it with zDoom and a bit with Prboom. A limit removing sourceport is required. The midi is from Final Doom's TNT Evilution. Any feedback whatsoever is greatly appreciated! Enjoy!

Link to /idgames

Teach me your mystic ways of Doom mapping. 8-0

It's a brilliant map. I got up to the bit with the Pain Elementals and then I, err, mutated. Probably one of the more peaceful ways to go considering the rest of the map. :P

Cooks good, have downloaded it and will have ago at playing it later or tomorrow.

In the office at the moment so as soon as I have a moment will load it up and my state of the art crappy mac and give it a spin :)

Nice to see you back into Doom, its something you always come back to.....Dooms that great!!

Good level, progression is not always clear but usually it doesn't take much time to figure out where to go next. One exception: what really confused me was when I entered the SSG area, killed all monsters and then couldn't find anything to do in there. Yes, I saw the green switch but it looked like I already pressed it! After maybe two minutes, just out of desperation, I tried pressing it - and it worked... Not sure if it's a problem with the map or with my brain. :P

Now for a real bug: you can jump down to the last soulsphere (sector 338) and get stuck. Of course that had to happen to me.

Ooh, nice map. Very engaging - I really like how dynamic it is. The only thing that kinda bugged me is that there are a lot of switches, and things ground to halt for me when I thought I'd switched what needed switching, but turns out I had hadn't - perhaps change the switched green texture that raises the staircase around the square platform from 'switched' to 'unswitched' - confused me! Otherwise, good stuff! You could perhaps use the Archvile a little better - at the moment it doesn't really present much of a threat, since it's easy to dispatch it from the doorway - where it seemingly can't get to - ducking behind when it starts attacking, and with only a chaingunner for it to resurrect, there was no sense of urgency to it.

Edit: I see Memfis had the same issue with the green switch.

Thank you very much guys! I'm glad you liked it even though there are some things that seem a little confusing. I will definitely look into that! And I totally understand the switch hunt comments; it's something I always seem to struggle with. Again, I will try and see what I can do to optimize it. More comments welcome ofc! :)

Quite a good map, I like how all the walls lower to the point where it almost looks like a completely different map at the end.Detail is good, wide variety of textures without it looking too boring or breaking theme.Enemy Placement is good too, you do well with a (relatively) small number of enemies.

The Switch hunting isn't too bad (I've played worse) and while it isn't always clear where to go (as mentioned)I soon found where within a minute or so.

Now the bad. As mentioned with the Soulsphere, there's falling down there, and it's also worth mentioning I managed to pick it up through the wall (I'm playing on GZDoom if that makes a difference). Also, the gates blocking the Blue key can be slipped past by back peddling into the wall, and strafing towards the pillars while slowly looking left or right. This makes 1/3 of the map skippable.

Thanks Ishida! You are a testament to the necessity of testers, because I would never have thought about the possibility of a manoeuvre like that! I mean, why go to such lengths to get the key when it's obviously not intended to get it like that. But I admire the creativity in the effort, that's for sure! :) Thanks!

New version has been uploaded:
- Added 1 more bar to the blue key room
- Added teleporter to inescapable lava pit nearest exit
- Moved soulsphere to another place instead of inescapable pillar
- Moved and changed texture on switch in SSG area
- Changed several switch textures
- Changed position and behaviour of Arch Vile fight
- A couple of minor changes such as item placement

Org post updated with map no 2. Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Nice, the 30 second door at the end seemed a bit excessive to me (I killed everything quickly with plasma and still had about 15 seconds left), no complaints otherwise.

Yeah, I had a feeling someone would comment on that :) Thanks for testing again for me!

Original post updated with High/Low 5. Yep, that's right, I finally got around to finish it! What, it's only been a couple of years or more! :P It feels good to finally release it for testing. It felt like it would never get done as I kept finding bugs and kept tweaking it! Enough is enough, I can't do anymore for it and I really need a fresh set of eyes or more to help me. When it's been in production for so long you kinda get blind to bugs, flow etc. So, please, download it, check it out and tell me what you think. Any comments are welcome!

High/Low 5 is definitely going to be archived. The other one was also supposed to go to the archives, but I might have other plans with it. But nothing gets released to the archives before it has been thoroughly tested.

Back to the testing question. I can see that this thread has generated quite a lot of hits since yesterday! So, there is some interest in my levels :) And I am guessing that some of you have even downloaded and played High/Low 5. Please, don't be shy, I would really like to hear what you thought of it. You can always send me a PM instead of writing it here if you are more comfortable with that. I can take critisism, so it's okay if you were disappointed and didn't like it. But all this silence, it just isn't the Doomworld I know. Something's wrong :)

Well, I downloaded it yesterday and started playing but prboom+ (software mode) crashed in like 5 seconds. I just looked into it and it looks like the crash happens as soon as I see the sky. Then I opened the wad in Slade and noticed that the sky texture is in PNG format rather than Doom Graphic format. So I resaved it in Doom format and seems like that fixed the problem. Going to play it a little bit later today.

Thanks Memfis! I guess the little testing I have done with Prboom was before I put in the sky texture. I will definitely correct this asap!

Edit: Music was wrong too. Both things are now corrected and a new zip has been uploaded.

Found another problem in prboom: linedef 5527 has a zero tag so it breaks the whole level when activated... The map is excellent so far. I can certainly see why it took you so long: the city layout is very very complex, it's almost like a puzzle and it takes some time to learn. The design is a bit cluttered perhaps (there are just so many different textures visible at the same time) but I like it overall.

Memfis said:

The design is a bit cluttered perhaps (there are just so many different textures visible at the same time) but I like it overall.

It's a mirror of my mind, that's why ;)

Thanks for the comments! Will fix that zero tagged linedef.

Would be interesting should you decide to use seinblood for part of a larger wad. :)

Also just a quick question, since each High/Low from 1-4 was meant to be close to the style of the respective Ultimate Doom episode, what part of Doom II is 5 meant to be in similar style to?

I think overall the map is similar in style to the city maps of Doom 2: there are many isolated buildings and you sometimes have to jump from one to another like in MAP13, for example. But then there is the dark area where I found the zero tagged linedef, that one reminded me of MAP29. There probably were some other inspirations as well.

LodiB88 said:

Also just a quick question, since each High/Low from 1-4 was meant to be close to the style of the respective Ultimate Doom episode, what part of Doom II is 5 meant to be in similar style to?

Memfis is probably right. Although, those maps in particular wasn't in my mind when I made the map. I actually just made a map based on and inspired by the memories I have of Doom II. The original plan (years back) was to make more High/Low levels in the Doom II style. But my work pace on level making is rather slow - and sometimes completely absent - I knew that I probably couldn't achieve that. So, I just decided to make one, huge Doom II level with all included as the final level in the series.