Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArchCrusader

Sanity's Eclipse WAD project

Hello everyone!
Long time lurker here, decided to finally show some stuff I've been working on.

A bit of introduction: Sanity's Eclipse is a WAD that has been in the making since mid-2010 - and is not yet completed. With DooM mapping being quite easy and straightfoward (as well as fun) I had decided to undertake the complicated process of creating a 32-levels megaWAD. Between university, me going slow, taking long pauses and remaking multiple maps to have them on par with my raising level editing standards I have only reached a rather low number of completed maps (8 - with a few ones started or in concept phase).
That said, I've gotten quite satisfied with the results so far (well, timing aside...) and set my goal for a first release to about 10 maps. Having just recently rebuilt map 08 from scratch (as I have with multiple ones) I decided it was time to get something done on the internet.

Glad you've made it this far without dying of boredom! So, what is Sanity's Eclipse about? It's supposed to give rather classic DooM gameplay with well defined map themes; each level is rather big and somewhat heavy on the details (and will most probably require a limit-removing port). The WAD includes new textures, musics and monsters (only one for now and it first appears in map09). Here's a gallery with screenshots taken from the completed levels (plus a bonus one):

http://s653.photobucket.com/user/Crusad3rMKII/library/Sanitys%20Eclipse?sort=4&page=1

Each level has multiple difficulty settings and is doable with pistol start - eventually, I plan on adding coop-specific monsters and items. You can also see the recoloured HUD in one of the screenshots.
What do I still have to do? Finalizing a few parts of map08 (especially add difficulty levels, which are currently missing), (re)build map09 and map10, finalize some interface stuff (the menus still look the same) and get a new titlepic.

Reaching the 10 maps goal is going to take a while still (for the above mentioned reasons) - in the meantime, I would like some criticism where possible. Eventually I might even upload an unfinished version, perhaps for specific testers (suggestions about this would be appreciated), to get some more extensive feedback.

That's it, thanks for reading! Eager to read what you people think.

EDIT 17/06/2013 - added new screenshots to the album!

Digging the screenshots. I'd recommend making a MAP11 so you can use the intermission text as a "Well Done!" message. :)

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated!

Clusterone666 said:

This looks amazing! Excited to play it. :)
Need a play tester for it? :o

I most probably will: I might put an unfinished version for download if I get enough people interested. :)

Obsidian said:

Digging the screenshots. I'd recommend making a MAP11 so you can use the intermission text as a "Well Done!" message. :)

Most definitely, making MAP11 was actually something I really considered for that specific reason. If I get things done in a reasonable time I might work on such map as well before releasing the WAD, else I can always include it later.

sounds like an awesome idea!

how about making it Jenesis style?

part 1 has 11 maps w map11 being boss map - gets launched
part 2 has 22 maps w map20 being another boss map. maps 1-10 are the same as in part 1.
part 3 has 32 maps w map30 being boss map. maps 1-19,31+32 are the same as in part 2.

Pure Hellspawn said:

sounds like an awesome idea!

how about making it Jenesis style?

part 1 has 11 maps w map11 being boss map - gets launched
part 2 has 22 maps w map20 being another boss map. maps 1-10 are the same as in part 1.
part 3 has 32 maps w map30 being boss map. maps 1-19,31+32 are the same as in part 2.

Thanks!
Dividing the WAD releases in 3 parts with bossmaps is actually something I have already considered - I just haven't planned anything concrete beyond finishing the first part because of how slow I am with mapping. :p

Looks really good so far from the details standpoint. Always cool to see big one-man projects underway... I have faith it'll be a lot of fun to play

Looks really cool how the colors are divided in maps (MAP03 - green, MAP05 - red, etc.), interesting and promising project you have announced here. Looking forward.