Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

7869.wad

"THE LOST DOOM WAD" - a creepypasta by some dude named arthur.

I saw this in the related videos section while watching some Doom stuff on youtube and checked it out. Just out of curiosity really. It was translated to english with google translate so it's not quite as descriptive as one would desire. Not too bonechilling I don't think, but interesting nonetheless.

Here's the text version

and

Here's a youtube video where it is being narrated

Not sure how much credibility a wad like this would have on the internet, and the merit of being scary I think really depends on how unknown it is. But it does lend to some potential scare tactics that I think could disturb some players.

Things like setting the scene by creating the illusion that the wad didn't even load. Maybe having the player be required to play through the first couple Doom 2 maps before anything truly unsettling appears. Disabling cheat codes or disabling the player to be able to change the volume. Weird distorted music, or music that distorts as you play into it. Maybe having the appearance or behavior of the monsters be highly manipulated, levels that change every time you play them, whether you die or complete them.

I was hoping I could use this creepy pasta for ideas in some of my own maps but I think it would probably best lend itself to an intentionally scary ZDoom wad that does more than create a gloomy melancholic atmosphere like Unloved, or uses cheap jump scares like the Ghoul forest series, but attempts to distort the comfortable feeling of playing Doom, a game we know and understand so well.

I miss those days when creepypastas were well-written and actually creepy.

It was too long and, to be honest, as soon as the name Daniel popped up, it reminded me of NeoDoom. I stopped there because that got too distracting to take the story seriously.

40oz said:

or uses cheap jump scares like the Ghoul forest series,

To be fair, the only ghoul WADs I can recall using jump scares are the third and a plethora of unofficial fan-WADs.

I think it'd be possible to produce something legitimately creepy in wad form, but I haven't really seen it yet. Wasn't particularly impressed with this story either, but then again, the only "creepypasta" I ever found worthwhile was Pokemon Creepy Black, mostly because it actually succeeded in being unnerving without being all "RAAAUUUGH GOAR! AND UNREALISTIC THINGS LIKE YOUR COMPUTER BEING POSSESSED!"

Doom creepypasta wrote:
But then he answered me, saying to calm down. He said he was not the creator, but a young boy he knew. I asked him who young boy was. He revealed that his name was Daniel.
He was quite problematic. He caused lots of problems in the little city that he lived. He was expelled from six schools and he already had beaten teachers. He was addicted to the game Doom, and made thousands of nonsense wads. Another thing he loved to do was to shoot nonsense with his camera. I asked him what happened to Daniel ...

That could SO have been one of the many banned trolls and special ed kids we got here...

As for creepy, distorted Doom music... I included some of that in those silly "Pump-up scripts" of mine, long ago:

Jodwin's Supcom - from HELL!!!
Jodwin's Dwarfking - from HELL!!!

The "creepy" stuff is at the end of both clips.

40oz said:

Maybe having the player be required to play through the first couple Doom 2 maps before anything truly unsettling appears.

I like this idea, but I can't help feeling it wouldn't be let into the archive, which is a shame. I'd give it a go though. >:-D

DoomUK said:

I miss those days when creepypastas were well-written and actually creepy.

To be fair, it's hard to make something that sounds like some kind of italian food any threatening. Whoever picked that word really shoot themselves in the foot.

Obsidian said:

I like this idea, but I can't help feeling it wouldn't be let into the archive, which is a shame. I'd give it a go though. >:-D

Well it doesn't necessarily have to be a wad that uses modified stock maps. I think it could mostly be a decorate thing, maybe utilizing near-identical player classes and such. (I think a wad that uses almost entirely decorate, acs, and mapinfo scripts could add a stronger element of scary to a wad that does a lot of fear inducing things with an unsuspectingly small filesize) I'm not entirely sure what Zdoom's capabilities are, I'm going mostly by what I've seen it do so far.

I was thinking something like this:

Have the player play through the first few levels of Doom 2. The wad doesn't actually activate (meaning you don't really experience any of the disturbing perverted maps) until the player dies. When the player dies, instead of dying and starting the level over, the level changes to the first custom map designed for the wad. To ensure that the player dies at some point in the wad, I'm thinking about making a custom decorate monster to take the place of some particular Doom 2 monster, such as the first hell knight. The hell knight looks and behaves like any other hell knight, but it will be invincible, and as you shoot it it only grows faster, dashing faster and faster towards the player as it gets shot more and more, to the point of being completely inescapable. It may even be cooler to replace a more common doom monster, such as an Imp, only with lesser probability of appearing, so that it's difficult to determine when exactly it will happen. But inevitably, the player will find himself somewhere in Doom 2 in a certain death scenario in a familiar set of levels that are easy by today's standards. Player dies. Screen goes black.

(I'm gonna preface the following paragraph by saying I didn't put a whole lot of thought into setting the scene, but here goes anyway)

Screen fades in, player finds himself in a Doom 1 level look alike, I'm thinking E3M7: Limbo. Maybe with new textures and the D_BUNNY music playing. Depending on which direction you take, you may find yourself in severely elongated and winding hallways. (the use of silent teleporters could be in order here) another way could take you to a room with decapitated rabbits nailed to all the walls, with horribly outlandish blood splats, winding in such a way that they almost form words. The words would be distorted enough so that the player might need to squint at it to read what they say (I don't know how likely it would be to create a captcha like blood splat decal that's different every time) If the player spends too much time trying to read it, a bunch of -fast pinky demons are summoned in and the player has to kill them. Shortly after they are killed, they are resurrected, as if some invisible archvile restored them. The player needs to kill them again. The last demon to be killed, resurrects a second time, this time with eyes of black. As the player shoots at it, the eyes and mouth expand, growing insurmountably huge, the demon runs faster and faster and engulfs the player in a single bite, then warping the player to the next level.

I'm just kinda brainstorming here. I'd have to do a lot of testing to make sure these highly scripted events work exactly the way they are supposed to, and that the novelty isn't broken by using invisible impassible lines or deleting parts of an IWAD level that the player may attempt to explore, to keep the player from doing things that he might try to do. But at the same time make sure that each scenario guarantees that the player has to endure certain death at a highly unpredictable point in the game. The novelty of being scary could also be broken if the player is given the chance to spend a long time observing the scenery and being able to detect when certain events are supposed to happen.

Ideally it should be a wad that's rather horrifying in it's own perverted and unpredictable manner, that's quite different each time you play through it, to keep the player on the edge of his seat every time he loads this alleged "haunted doom wad."

What about The Sky May Be? That one too has a lot of surprising, though not necessarily creepy elements, but it DOES fuck with your mind and the way you perceive Doom.

I'm surprised that there aren't any creepypastas about the Eric Harris levels. Like finding HYPER-REALISTIC BLOOD in them and CREEPY MESSAGES predicting the future or some bull because he was mentally unstable. If someone knows of a creepypasta like that, please send me it. Regarding this "Daniel" creepypasta, I actually didn't think it was that bad. It's not really good, mostly because of the cliches, but I thought it was better than most others.

Doom already has the right ingredients to make a truly scary game. For me, the closest (by far) versions to be scary are those on the PlayStation and Doom 64. Doom 3 is there somewhat, too, but suffers from having lackluster level design and not nearly as much atmosphere compared to the others.

I remember being scared out of my seat by a Sergeant sneaking up on me in E1M5!

Something that could make Doom scarier: having no weapons (which is easy to pull off with just a script), and maybe even having the player start at half or less health. Make monsters more scarce but still threatening, and you could actually come up with a fairly tense game, similar to Doom, but without the ability to fight back. Your only goal would be to escape each level.

It would likely require more puzzle elements than normal, too.

obake said:

Doom 3 is there somewhat, too, but suffers from having lackluster level design and not nearly as much atmosphere compared to the others.

This is just simply wrong. Very, very wrong.

obake said:

Doom already has the right ingredients to make a truly scary game. For me, the closest (by far) versions to be scary are those on the PlayStation and Doom 64. Doom 3 is there somewhat, too, but suffers from having lackluster level design and not nearly as much atmosphere compared to the others.

I remember being scared out of my seat by a Sergeant sneaking up on me in E1M5!

Something that could make Doom scarier: having no weapons (which is easy to pull off with just a script), and maybe even having the player start at half or less health. Make monsters more scarce but still threatening, and you could actually come up with a fairly tense game, similar to Doom, but without the ability to fight back. Your only goal would be to escape each level.

It would likely require more puzzle elements than normal, too.

I was actually thinking something more along the lines of truly delivering to the player the illusion that wad is genuinely haunted. The "scary" feeling you get from playing a doom level that is so dark that you can't see the monsters isn't quite what I was thinking of. I'm more inclined to see (or make) a wad that is so strange, bizzarre, disturbing, and unpredictable, that it makes Doomers uncomfortable to even have the wad on their hard drive.

40oz said:

I'm more inclined to see (or make) a wad that is so strange, bizzarre, disturbing, and unpredictable, that it makes Doomers uncomfortable to even have the wad on their hard drive.

Just take the Sky May Be and add HYPER-REALISTIC BLOOD!

Everyone knows that the key to creepiness is Photorealistic Skeletons. Of your family members.

On that note, I've added a bit of this to my big wad project. There was/is a big SomethingAwful thread sort of slightly about this type of thing, and one dude there was writing an ongoing creepypasta (that he never finished) which inspired me to add a little referencial thingy to my wad. It's something that people might see should they choose to go back and explore some levels after getting right to the exit. Although such things can't work quite as well as you'd hope because it's way too easy to dissect a wad completely.

Creepypasta sucks, it's the 'Cthulhu Mythos' of the post-4chan era. The "haunted vidjagame" category of creepypasta especially sucks -- 10,000 words about OOOOH SPOOKY STUFF HAPPENING IN A GAME IT'S SO SCARY is just pathetic. The only ones worth your time are

• The haunted Majora's Mask cartridge, because the instigator supported the text with videos of gameplay tweaked with cheat/debug codes in order to get 'haunted' effects.
  • NES Godzilla Creepypasta, similarly supported with "screenshots" that look close to what NES hardware is capable of...at first, anyway...

You're kidding, right? Those two are the cheesiest and stupidest examples of videogame creepypasta. Ben Drowned is just completely stupid overall, and Godzilla gets really dumb near the end (and the graphics don't look like the nes at all, the screenshots have some creepy shit but don't look like screenshots whatsoever). The best one is certainly Pale Luna.
I also recall one story about Morrowind where there was some tower with infinite floors or something, the night would be messed up in some way I don't remember, the NPCs would all stand and look at the sky at night and say something creepy, and there'd be some sort of uber-assassin (like the ones from Tribunal) appearing. Can't recall too many details from that one but I remember enjoying it quite a lot.
Edit: Found it! Time to see how much I got wrong from memory, but it was quite good.
There's definitely some others that were also cool and much better than those two. Most of them I got from that beforementioned SomethingAwful thread.
Edit2: Another great one: Killswitch.
Basically, the best ones are those that just have strange and really mysterious stuff happen ingame. Pale Luna's IRL connection is what makes it best, but the others that don't go into supernatural are also good. The ones however that are implied to be literally haunted, or go into stupid territory like Godzilla, those are the ridiculous and just funny ones IMO, and not worth even reading. Although I still somewhat enjoyed godzilla, just not the last parts of it. The only good one that I remember going into supernatural was the one I mentioned before which inspired my little addition to my wad. Not gonna spoil it tho.

40oz said:

I was actually thinking something more along the lines of truly delivering to the player the illusion that wad is genuinely haunted. The "scary" feeling you get from playing a doom level that is so dark that you can't see the monsters isn't quite what I was thinking of. I'm more inclined to see (or make) a wad that is so strange, bizzarre, disturbing, and unpredictable, that it makes Doomers uncomfortable to even have the wad on their hard drive.

I see what you're saying. You're idea is more of something that truly messes with the mind, rather than just a game with a creepy atmosphere.

I like the idea a lot. I've had similar ideas for a wad which would include some mind bending elements. Random, unexplained anomalies floating around the map (not necessarily human-like, either, but shadows); demonic voices played so low on the speakers, they are only barely audible when the player has the volume at full; and possibly, elements that purposely make it seem like the wad (or level) is messing with your computer.

Edit: I don't know if any of those elements are what you're going for, either, I was just stating my ideas.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Creepypasta sucks, it's the 'Cthulhu Mythos' of the post-4chan era. The "haunted vidjagame" category of creepypasta especially sucks -- 10,000 words about OOOOH SPOOKY STUFF HAPPENING IN A GAME IT'S SO SCARY is just pathetic. The only ones worth your time are

• The haunted Majora's Mask cartridge, because the instigator supported the text with videos of gameplay tweaked with cheat/debug codes in order to get 'haunted' effects.
  • NES Godzilla Creepypasta, similarly supported with "screenshots" that look close to what NES hardware is capable of...at first, anyway...

I just wanna say thank you for posting that Godzilla NES link. I wouldn't have found it without you and now that I have read it I love it. Thank you so dang much. May Acacius be with you.

Phml said:

To be fair, it's hard to make something that sounds like some kind of italian food any threatening. Whoever picked that word really shoot themselves in the foot.

Here I was going to mention how much I fucking hate that term. Congratulations on having some class!

obake said:

I see what you're saying. You're idea is more of something that truly messes with the mind, rather than just a game with a creepy atmosphere.

This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out for "Quiver", if anyone remembers that. Can't bother finding the thread now.

Hey guys, Omegalore made a fan-made version of this WAD, and I even tried it out and it was cool and creepy. Here's a video he made on it, and it also has the link to download the WAD:

Erm that "house" mentioned in the story is the actual BIGBRIK house in the Underhalls, not an added area with ugly trees.

lol

It was actually pretty disturbing otherwise though.

NiTROACTiVE said:

vid

Looks similar what I've had in mind when I was planning a Doom creepypasta. My wad went like this: It started from MAP30 where everything was empty, no guns, no blood, frozen SP_FACE1 and the wall demon was replaced with a plain brick wall that blinked randomly. It then connects to E1M1's exit room where the map continues till you reach the starting room. The E1M1 itself is empty, darker, toxic pools are abyss pits and outdoor areas have ceilings instead. In the starting room, you'd become stuck forever and find a rocket launcher and a wall text that says ''your only way out'', in other words suggesting the player to commit suicide.