Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Chillax video crap [Video heavy!]

Yea, some of my stuff right here..

I will post the other levels as they're uploaded.

Is this all right?

Mr. Chris said:

Yea, some of my stuff right here..

I will post the other levels as they're uploaded.

Is this all right?

Just to clarify, you know the Chillax maps are all ripped, right?

Shouldn't this be in Doom General since it's not actually like a project and or stand alone release?

esselfortium said:

Just to clarify, you know the Chillax maps are all ripped, right?

I do know, should I not make the WAD for download?

I found out Chillax MAP18 looks like a modifed version of Sunder MAP09 so I skipped it along with MAP16 and MAP21 because of video length or terrible frame rate.

I found out Chillax MAP18 looks like a modifed version of Sunder MAP09 so I skipped it

lol

(Don't worry, still not laughing at you.)

Both videos work for me.

Isn't 90% of Chillax just totally stolen PHML maps that were pilfered with out permission? Also again, why is this in Wads and Mods?

Tarnsman said:

Also again, why is this in Wads and Mods?

Well, Katamori and Capellan had made their video dump threads in wads & mods. Might be a tradition at this point? (Assuming this thread is like that, haven't really had time to check the videos out)

It is not unusual in the world of multiplayer Doom for silly/ridiculous things to become immensely popular. One of the most visited ZDaemon FFA servers is brit10 for 8 players, which was intended for like 2-3 players. At first it seemed to be a total joke but with time the players developed strategies and tactics that turned it into a somewhat complex and balanced game.
Same deal with Doom 2 map01 deathmatch for example: many many players agree that it is a terrible map but it works because it has been played for so many years that it turned into a very complicated map that you need to play for ages to master.
There is something very special about breaking the norms, creating something that just has no right to work... and then making it work. If you think about it, the existence of our beloved slaughter wads is also probably tied to this desire to push the boundaries. I mean, wads like HR and Punisher probably looked pretty crazy at the time they were made (and they still do for many people!).

phmlspd allows modifications

Yeah. Just to sum it up, they took the maps and threw random monsters in it, and ran a Skulltag server with it, calling it "phmlspd v1.4.".

This was concerning, as I didn't want people to confuse their modifications for my own stuff, especially with the username tied to it. So I made a thread on the Skulltag forums asking if they could change the name. Did so fairly respectfully, or so I thought.

No answer... But a few weeks later, "phmlspd v1.4" disappeared and "Chillax" popped out of nowhere. Hard not to see some message in that name choice.

So technically they did nothing wrong, but at some level it feels a little bit like offering a car ride to someone, only to have the guy start eating his really smelly sandwich with mayo dripping on your seats while also harping on about how shitty your car is and how terrible you are at driving. :)

I'm not even annoyed, I'm just milking the drama. At some point you can't help but revel in how utterly surreal this is. Here I am being all pompous, trying to get fancy, doing what I think is super cool game design and all. And then you got guys randomly slapping monsters in it. And then you got someone playing it with a mod that makes him fire explosions as big as cyberdemons with his pistol. 400 health! 3000 armor! How do you want to even dislike that. It's so ludicrous it's fantastic.

Plus, I should probably be grateful because more people get to see my super newbish level layouts.

j4rio said:

Doom multiplayer community is apparently not too hard to please.

you'd be surprised. your mom, on the other hand...

i don't get chillax at all. what's the point, some sort of slaughter kaizo doom? i just find it tasteless.

1. That's two words.

2. It's good to know you can't say the ONE word that describes it.

3. Because I'm curious, what the fuck fits in 10 spaces, ends in ly, goes in front of hardcore, and properly denotes how shit chillax is?

idk why but atm I feel like chillaxin. (hopes theres a chillax server with people in it)....

Chillax is borderline impossible for most players, thats why I think it got so popular is because when people beat a map they feel like their op status or something.

Tarnsman said:
3. Because I'm curious, what the fuck fits in 10 spaces, ends in ly, goes in front of hardcore, and properly denotes how shit chillax is?

I have no idea what happened with it honestly, all I remember was

1. I did not put in the *
2. it was not a swear

Fuzzelbob said:

I have no idea what happened with it honestly, all I remember was

1. I did not put in the *
2. it was not a swear

I think Doomworld censors "definitely" if you misspell it a certain way ("defiant-ly"?)... I guess that misspelling just really annoyed the admins/mods/whoever controls that?

definitely defiantly definitily defanitely *******ely

edit: ahh interesting, it was defin-ately indeed. I'm still short 3 asterisks though

This mapset is definitely ridiculous and I am at MAP23 currently. I skipped MAP16 (massive framedrop halfway into map), MAP18 (which looks like Sunder MAP09, which I did on my Sunder playthrough) and MAP21 (way too long, I clocked 80 minutes before I said fuck it and skipped it).

I could say Russian Overkill actually gives the player a fighting chance against the hordes of monsters and traps tossed at you. Even wth 3x monster health (Skill level: Drinking with Comrades), I do make it out but not without being damaged (I changed shields to absorb 90%, not 100% of damage).

Throughout the WAD, I capped my health at 3,000 and the shields at 5,000 (via DECORATE editing) so I can't keep accumulating up until the default 50,000 cap. Also, the slot 8 super weapons help a lot on clearing a room or area as well.

Have a listen to the Shurricane's secondary music. I changed it to something royalty free because the Jello "Oh Yeah" exerpt would most certainly be IDed by ContentID, as would Extremesphere's music, the Hindenburg bomb's music and the 10 barrel shotty's secondary empty shell spam. I muted them initially before I found royalty free replacements for the sphere and the Shurricane.

j4rio said:

Doom multiplayer community is apparently not too hard to please.

Invasion UAC and Doom Barracks Zone are both immensely popular on Zdaemon.. Which goes above and beyond proving that point. Huge, bland maps are the best thing since sliced bread apparently.

Phml said:

No answer... But a few weeks later, "phmlspd v1.4" disappeared and "Chillax" popped out of nowhere. Hard not to see some message in that name choice.

This is ludicrously unacceptle.. Nice to hear that you're being so cool about it. I find the name "Chillax" to be so annoying and hipster-ish, but oh well.

Overall this thread is pretty amusing because of Phml's situation!

I've noticed a number of the early maps use the BRICK# (Namely BRICK6-9) textures a fair bit, why is that?

Also I think a chunk of or most/all of MAP01 was part of another slaughter map if I recall correctly..

XCOPY said:

It's highly strategic and soloable in survival with 3 lives

The sheer irony of this sentence...

So am I. Necessity to die being strategical element? Are you kidding me?