Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

New Shadow Warrior coming

It will totally suck. Heed my words, level design will be linear with a shiton of boring enemies "becos Oldskul dud!". And Lo Wang will be the stereotypical good looking dude is the stereotypical smart ass that eventually finds his soft side and "matures" as the game progresses with a tragic past because games must be deep this days right?. I can already smell the suck.

I've found this:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/shadow-warrior-reboot-keeps-setting-and-katana-ditches-sexism-racism-and-mp

Now I am inclined to doubt it's going to be a fun game, because:

“At Devolver we had this idea of completely rebooting Shadow Warrior. It’s not an HD remake,” Devolver’s Nigel Lowrie told me over the phone. “At the time we were doing Serious Sam 3, I was playing Hard Reset, and I was like, ‘Holy shit, I love this.’ When we were talking about who could do an arcade-style FPS like this, the obvious answer to us was to reach out to Flying Wild Hog.”

Devolver actually called Scott Miller at 3D Realms to ask about rebooting the game with Flying Wild Hog… before they had talked to Flying Wild Hog. After 3D Realms expressed interest, Lowrie talked about the challenges of getting the Warsaw-based developer on the phone, but the enthusiasm was immediate once the two groups began to talk.

“Our previous game [Hard Reset] went along with the old school design. It was a no-cover shooter, a fast-paced shooter,” Jan Bartkowicz, the lead writer at Flying Wild Hog, explained. “You could get attacked by a mass of enemies. The game play loop was more focused on finding the right tool for a particular job, rather than just going from Point A to Point B to Point C.”

It is going to be Hard Reset: Kung-Fu Edition. That's what they've been hired to do, and that's what they'll do.

Well it's not a game made up of 4 year old assets that Gearbox salvaged for pocket change and quickly stitched together in order to make a few bucks.

Flying Wild Hog are competent game developers, and Hard Reset isn't actually a bad game. Personally, if I'm allowed to carry all the guns I find and shoot squishy monsters instead of robots, I'd probably get some quality time out of it.

Technician said:

Why is everything fucking glossy these days?

Christ.

Because it's relatively easy to do and makes things look more "[hyper]realistic."

More accurately; it's easier to make things look detailed without blowing your poly budget. It's also not entirely inappropriate here as it IS a horrible slimy monster.

The model looks pretty cool. I just hope they have old school gib's on top of being able to slice monsters top ribbons with your sword.

Just judging by the models it's obvious dismemberment via a sword will be in this game.

Avoozl said:

Just judging by the models it's obvious dismemberment via a sword will be in this game.

Tell us more.

And here I thought it meant we could build a zombie maid from spare parts, leaving it to look after our home while we go on quests. This is going to be an RPG, right?

Oh Shinda-Chan~ I missed you fufufuu~! <3

You laugh, but I can't be the only one who remembers the anime girls that kept popping up in the original Shadow Warrior. :P

Nope.

Am I the only one that remembers that the Lara Croft sprite in map04 was changed for the registered version?

I think I might need to see more for a final opinion. The Kill Bill arena fight, mm, I don't know. The points thing is interesting, haven't really seen that in an FPS in a while.

Remember that the Hard Reset was made by these guys...

But I too hold my opinions until game is in sales.

sgtcrispy said:

Next-gen Blood: ???

Atari is too busy flailing around being bankrupt for that.

Technician said:

Why is everything fucking glossy these days?

Christ.

Bump/normal mapping is to blame. Despite the fact that bump mapping has been around for DECADES and normal mapping since the 90s, a lot of artists have an enormous amount of difficulty getting textures to look natural instead of glossy/plastic. Even a lot of special effects in Hollywood movies still suffer from this issue.

ALSO: Shadow Warrior remake is looking like a Painkiller mod circa 2008.

Steam has a habit of virtually giving out games to build to the new ones.

Watched a little bit of the footage of SW and it looks really uninspired and not at all in the spirit of the original. Boo.