Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

Katamori said:

Okay, but don't you think that 100 is a way too big sacrifice?

For me, no. Your opinion might differ, of course :)

Katamori said:

Seriously, don't tell me that making a good map with 200 linedefs would be THAT easy since even the smallest vanilla-compatible (and playable) maps I've ever made have 500 linedefs! =)

I've made a lot of maps that are under 500 linedefs. We're all different mappers. For me, 200 linedefs isn't very challenging as a restriction. It'd be fairly straightforward to put together a layout in say 120 linedefs and then gussy it up with the other 80.

Magnusblitz said:

I really like this map! If the player really thinks about it, it's a small area, but the way the level wraps around and keeps lowering new monsters really makes it feel much larger. Very good use of height differences as well, and I like that you went with angled rooms, giving it that old-school Doom feel. Saving linedefs on the key doors by placing the keycolor textures on the lower texture of the door was an interesting trick.

Thanks. It would seem 2-sided linedefs and triangles are your friend in this "challenge".

Updated to have boom deep water and a bit more lava.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/td_100linedefs2.wad

(first paragraph written before I saw traversd's post)

Guys don't forget this is meant to be a challenge (Capellan used the word right). In order to succeed, you may (even should) need to put more effort into your work than usual - in the case of this concept, you need to plan well how to construct your map that way so the linedef number stays low. Taken inspiration from Capellan's and Traversd's maps (which I both consider great), I think I already found some basic principles. I'm definitely for 100 lines.

My map currently consists of 19 linedefs. It has a playable core and doesn't look so ugly too (partly thanks to Boom actions that I decided to use). I'll try to finish it tomorrow. Good night for now :)

^ Cool map I always like arena styled battles, especially quick ones because it allows you to be vicious with ammo and enemy placement. Only thing I didn't like was that the Mastermind couldn't get out of its den, which made picking it off really easy.

Perhaps, if 100 lines seems daunting, try and aim for a 200 line map initially, then when it is done, try and work out where you could cut or alter things so that the line count reduces, until you can force it down to the magic 100.

dobugabumaru said:

^ Cool map I always like arena styled battles, especially quick ones because it allows you to be vicious with ammo and enemy placement. Only thing I didn't like was that the Mastermind couldn't get out of its den, which made picking it off really easy.

I actually went back and forth with deciding whether to block the Mastermind or not. Blocking it makes the fight against it trivial, but also forces the player to actually fight the other enemies and not just run past the spider into the exit. But I'm certainly not adverse to changing it if people like that better. I couldn't decide :)

I almost beat it. :P It looks pretty nice considering the limit, and I wasn't expecting 'ol Spidey: the Spider Mastermind doesn't seem to get used much nowdays. It's hectic without being too slaughtery and all things considered it's a pretty nifty map.

I'd like to make a few maps for this, but can't seem to make xwe work. What's a program other than xwe that counts linedefs? xwe keeps giving me some "List out of bounds" error and won't let me do anything.

Can't you count linedefs in Doom Builder? Click the Sigma symbol and you can see a count of all the stuff in your map. Also, get SLADE3.

Capellan said:

DETH :)

Or WadSpy.

Or Doombuilder 2, if you install the Statistics plug-in.

In making my map I found out slade2 also has built in stats. Goto the console and type "stats_map"

Meh, not much challenge going on here if you're using anything other than good old DEU 5.21. ;-)

http://dropcanvas.com/vts26 checked the limit manually, watching every linedef, and so... it almost reached the linedefs of 1 LOL

http://dropcanvas.com/vts26

Title: Green station fad
Build Time: 3 / 4 hours

screenshots(if you care):

EDIT: Obsidian, i want to know too how too see the level stats on SLADE3, tried the GRB way but it didn't worked (writing on console map_stats)...

joepallai said:

This was an excellent challenge; really well thought out and made me stretch. not sure how to describe this one....58 linedefs and it's kind of hard. I guess I should detail it now...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0xu4qufz4obnt0/jp100hr.wad?v=0mcn

The final area of your map is a pretty fun fight if the player decides to max the level, cool idea.

For me 100 lines is a great amount since it doesn't let me stress over the layout or design too much, as its essentially a quick map. But I get to put more thought into the structure than a speedmap, so this has been a fun challenge. I'll upload mine once I finally beat it.

EDIT: Really nice work walter, the cyb fight in yours was pretty brilliant--I kept knocking my head against him until I ultimately decided to cheese from the doorway.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Okay, here's a map:

Shouldn't be too hard to beat, but getting a max should be well nigh impossible. Get to it challenge heads!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/om08t3o9k3ki3ds/100lines.wad

Beat it, 29 out of 30 enemies, ran out of ammo on the Cyb. And I'm sure as hell not about to go all "Rip and Tear" on it. :-) Pretty interesting though, and it doesn' really differ from your usual style despite the limit. :P

Okay, here's something as promised earlier. Very short yet exquisitely sadistic. Difficulty settings not implemented (I think that simplifying this map would make it completely worthless, but if you need them - tell me), so feel free to curse me if you like.

walter confalonieri said:

EDIT: Obsidian, i want to know too how too see the level stats on SLADE3, tried the GRB way but it didn't worked (writing on console map_stats)...

I was talking about the Statistics plug-in for DB. I was just recommending SLADE3 to GRB because it's better than XWE. :P

EDIT:

Demonologist said:

Okay, here's something as promised earlier. Very short yet exquisitely sadistic. Difficulty settings not implemented (I think that simplifying this map would make it completely worthless, but if you need them - tell me), so feel free to curse me if you like.

I finished that with 7% health. Somehow. Seriously I'm usually crap at these sort of things. The map itself looked pretty nice despite the limit, but then again I may have been slightly distracted by the 400-and-something monsters. Heh.

FDAs for other maps:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/100lines_FDAs.zip
Almost all of them poor, looks like today isn't my lucky day dooming-wise, but I'll post them anyway. Many ridiculous deaths so at least you could have a good laugh. Liked GRB's and AB's maps the most so far, Magnus's map was also good but it ends too quickly.

I made another one. :D

Download Core Crash. (idclev30)

Yep, it's an Icon of Sin map. It's exactly 100 linedefs and it doesn't look too shabby. Enjoy! Except for Demonologist, coz he don't like Icons. :P

EDIT: Really nice work walter, the cyb fight in yours was pretty brilliant--I kept knocking my head against him until I ultimately decided to cheese from the doorway. [/B]

thank you, glad you liked it! It was unexpectly fun to do, maybe i'll do another map (i have in mind some spooky map like limbo....)

@obsidian and GRB, thanks for the advice!

Missed joepallai's map, putting FDA separately:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/jp100hr_FDA.lmp

@ Obsidian: your statement is much more dual than you may think. Seriously though - play as many IoS maps as I did and you'll learn to scorn them, too. And to make things fair - you MMP map was really good up to the IoS fight, if it had custom boss or something - it would've been much more appealing to me.

Demonologist said:

FDAs for other maps

ta! hrm my map seemed a bit of SG/CG slog most of the way. thinking maybe SSG/RL earlier... perhaps just after red key collect?