Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

So I saw Doom 3

Here are the notes I scrawled during the presentation. See what you can glean from them while I try and write up something about it.

"touchMaterial"
Doom 0.01

shotgun
sarge2
scientist
zsecurity

id spinning logo

stars, 2145
voiceover about UAC

cityscape
dudes with big assault rifles
funky scientists, look like the scientists from Messiah

dude strapped to table on top of glowing pentagram

i hope that's not the portal everything comes through, its like the size of a doorway

portal is red thingy, a translucent demonic head comes through, all hell breaks loose

marine looks pretty cool, actually has a HAIRCUT!!

pistol
looks like funky pirate pistol
small rooms, hallways
RELOADING PISTOL?!

approx. 5 shots to kill a zombie with the pistol

fat zombies
ambient sound fx
shadows

hiding from monsters works

assault rifle with ammo count displayed on the gun itself
shotgun
cutscenes
monster with a tentacle for an arm

cutscenes are in-game
like, you walk to a point, then a little cutscene shows something happening, then you resume control

run into a zombie chaingunner
chaingun revs up/down like in TFC

run away from chaingunner, hide in room
severed foor falls off a chair
ambush, kill chaingunner

tiny hud in lower left

moving geometry

an awful lot of scripted sequences

a zombie knocks a barrel down the stairs at you

reflections in glass, can see yourself

one zombie kicks you (?!)

dragged body, big smeared trail of blood (bathroom cutscene from quakecon)

demon has mechanical legs?!

imp throwing fire
they leap, crawl

when you get scratched the screen shakes like hell

shooting people leaves big blood splats where they were hit

monster teleports in with a funky red teleport effect

shoot zombie, it falls down stairs

walk towards door casting shadow in front of you, see a huge shadow come up behind you, brief fight with BOH-type monster, you lose horribly

fall to ground, monster rolls you over, picks you up by the head, then rips off your head and eats it (all from POV of marine)

doom.exe ~3080 KB

Linguica said:
marine looks pretty cool, actually has a HAIRCUT!!

Is it the same marine as the one displayed in the Macworld video (My avatar)?

approx. 5 shots to kill a zombie with the pistol

FIVE SHOTS!???? It took only TWO fucking pistol shots to kill a zombie in the old Doom games. They've made 'em too tough in the new game, Grrrr.

run into a zombie chaingunner
chaingun revs up/down like in TFC

EXCELLENT!!!! The chaingun's back, and so are the chaingunners >:-]

imp throwing fire
they leap, crawl

Does the imp look anything like the old imp?

dsm said:

Is it the same marine as the one displayed in the Macworld video (My avatar)?

It might be, I can't really tell. You only get a good look at him without his helmet on.

FIVE SHOTS!???? It took only TWO fucking pistol shots to kill a zombie in the old Doom games. They've made 'em too tough in the new game, Grrrr.

This new game is built around individual enemies all being a threat, not just being overwhelmed by a ton of mini-baddies. Meh.

EXCELLENT!!!! The chaingun's back, and so are the chaingunners >:-]

Yeah, I dunno, the chaingunner looked really weird. However, it did look and feel a lot more deadly than the one in Doom 2.

Does the imp look anything like the old imp?

Well, I could tell it was the imp, so I suppose so.

Did it have a Doomish atmosphere?
Wat did the soundeffects sound like? Did they... Sound like Doom?

Disorder said:

Did it have a Doomish atmosphere?
Wat did the soundeffects sound like? Did they... Sound like Doom?

No and no.

Hm, just saw a screenshot of the imp - looks ok, but I'm disappointed that it has no spikes.
Oh well, can't get everything.

Linguica said:

No and no.

Sounds like you're disappointed about that, or am I wrong? BTW, if you had to rate the new footage of DooM III, what would you rate it??

I mean, what did you think of it? Were you disappointed, excited, having multiple orgasms???

It was cool, but it wasn't "Doom" like we all think of Knee-Deep in the Dead as being Doom.

What I saw was basically all dark, cramped passageways and small rooms with moody lighting. If you saw it without knowing what it was you would think "Resident Evil FPS" rather than "Doom sequel."

Obviously that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how the game turns out.

Linguica said:

walk towards door casting shadow in front of you, see a huge shadow come up behind you, brief fight with BOH-type monster, you lose horribly

If a BOH can do that, and this is a remake of the original doom, wtf is the cyberdemon or the SM gonna do to you when you encounter them? crap.

What, don't tell me you didn't lose horribly when you first met the 2 barons in E1M8

Sweet. I guess I gotta pay more attention to crap. I didn't even know Ling was going to E3.

Linguica said:

doom.exe ~3080 KB

Sheesh, that's it?

I was expecting that thing to be at least 15 or 20mb.

Carmack obviously knows what he's doing =)

arioch said:

What, don't tell me you didn't lose horribly when you first met the 2 barons in E1M8

I didn't.

I had godmode on =)

the_Danarchist said:

I guess I gotta pay more attention to crap. I didn't even know Ling was going to E3.

*cough*

Sounds pretty cool all that!

Funky pirate pistol? At least no boring CS look I guess :)

The bull demon with mechanical legs / tail is a weird idea IMO... does it feel right?

Why don't you ask Pinky himself? ;)
I'm hoping they're still using lots of old polished sounds.
That would provide a Doomish feeling if you ask me.
It really does look like it's Resident Evil instead of Doom. Hmmmmm..

Linguica said:

This new game is built around individual enemies all being a threat, not just being overwhelmed by a ton of mini-baddies. Meh.

They could easily be made more difficult than the old former humans WITHOUT using the same ol' "make-them-tougher" method.
Making them tougher is just a cheap way of making them more difficult.
Here's what they oughta do to make them harder without making them ridiculously tough:
1. Make their weapons hurt you more - a shotgun guy in the old games could shoot you about FOUR times at point blank range before you died - increase the damage and make that TWO shots before you die, so that you'll want to kill them really fast.
2. Make them shoot at you more often than they did in the old game.
3. make them more evasive.

See, there are alternate (cooler) methods of making them tough instead of that cheap ass make-them-tougher method.

DSM, the ways you suggest would just be annoying, as opposed to monsters being able to take more shots, which may just increase the fun.

dsm said:

3. make them more evasive.

Blah, the monsters in Quake2 running out of the way of my rockets pissed me off to no extent, if they do something like that in Doom3 it'll drive me insane after 3 minutes.

Fredrik said:

DSM, the ways you suggest would just be annoying, as opposed to monsters being able to take more shots, which may just increase the fun.

Oh yeah? But it seriously pissed me off how the nazi troops in RtCW could take rounds of MP40 bullets AND STILL SHOOT AT ME!
Oh well, I can probably live with it as long as they jerk in pain when I shoot them - hate when weak humanoid characters are terminator-like in their reactions to getting shot.

[edit]

Blah, the monsters in Quake2 running out of the way of my rockets pissed me off to no extent, if they do something like that in Doom3 it'll drive me insane after 3 minutes.

I thought everyone was bitching that Q2 was too easy. Anyways, easy solutions:
1. Don't use the rocket launcher against fast, evasive enemies - use the chaingun or db/sb shotun to gun them down.
2. aim at the ground in front of them or their feet if you really have to use the rocket launcher against them.[/edit]

dsm said:

I thought everyone was bitching that Q2 was too easy.

Well, in a way it was, but it was also damn annoying.

dsm said:

1. Don't use the rocket launcher against fast, evasive enemies - use the chaingun or db/sb shotun to gun them down.

BUT I WANT TO USE THE ROCKET LAUNCHER.

Sometimes I just run through a level on cheats to look at stuff, that's when it's especially annoying.

They basically make that weapon useless.

Anyway I haven't played Quake2 in years, I hope none of it's annoying crap makes its way into Doom3.

Ling: What does the shotgun look like (db or sb shotgun?) and the chaingun?
Could you describe that big mofo that kicks the player's ass in the end of the presentation?
[edit]What does that BoH type monster use to kill the player with? Claws? Something funky?

And finally, how fast does the player seem to move?[/edit]

dsm said:

Ling: What does the shotgun look like (db or sb shotgun?) and the chaingun?
Could you describe that big mofo that kicks the player's ass in the end of the presentation?
[edit]What does that BoH type monster use to kill the player with? Claws? Something funky?

And finally, how fast does the player seem to move?[/edit]

Shotgun: I think it was a single, not a double. The closest thing I can compare it to is the Serious Sam shotgun, although it had no reloading animation as far as I could tell. The chaingun looked like a chaingun. I think the zombie was holding it from above, like a "real" chaingun.

The big ass mofo that kicks the player's ass at the end was this monster I THINK. It slashes you and you die, more or less.

I actually was wondering if the player was walking during a lot of the demo, because he seemed to be absolutely dragging.

You don't shoot rockets AT the monsters. You shoot rockets at the ground next to them. You won't do as much damage, but at least there's a chance of hitting.

And yeah, q2 was pretty easy. When i played it for the first time, i had five quads and three invulnerabilities + a full load of chaingun ammo. Yeah, that made the boss REAL tough. Even if i was playing on hard and could only carry one of each... 30 secs is quite enough to knock him down.

Did the presentation say anything about what video card they were running on specifically? Gamespot says 2.2GHZ with "an ATI card" but that could mean ATI's workstation class FireGL card. What was the framerate like in the presentation? A lot of people are basing their new computer purchases on this game and we need to know whether a geforce4 will get us over 30FPS. Of course we could wait but I want to buy NOW :). thanks!

Radeon 8500.

But seriously don't buy hardware just because of Doom. Mind telling me what's your actual vid card?

ATI + Nvidia + Matrox + "Coming 2003" + "Nvidia's crazy new-product-every-6-months policy" = at least one generation more of graphic cards before Doom's released.

yeah I agree it would by wiser to wait. Nvidia will release a new card in fall as always, and again in spring 2003 as always. Doom will probably be released around spring so that would be the best time to buy. But I want to play UT2003 next month so I want to upgrade now. Plus my current computer is such a piece. I had to sell my gaming rig because I scratched my dad's car. Now I'm using this piece from 1997. It has a 2meg videocard.

Ouch. Go for something ultra cheap then, some GF2 MX 400 or some ATI equivalent...can't quite remember the name. You're not gonna keep it for too long anyway.