Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

Lego car actor test

This is a funny little test I made. Might as well share it. Apparently when you take a picture of your creation in Lego Digital Designer with all the rendering settings maxed out, the model is acutally separated from the background. I used this to make a Lego car actor for Doom 2. It's viewable from 8 directions.

This could be useful for a full on Lego total conversion, but making animated frames would be next to impossible. The controls of the camera in LDD are not precise enough to get consistent pictures. The animation frames would end up looking a bit jittery. I need to figure out if it's possible to export the models to Maya or Blender or something.
Link to the test WAD for those who are interested: http://www.mediafire.com/download/agouoisnumidao8/LegoTest2.zip

EDIT: Solution found! Instead of using Lego Digital Designer to make the model, I used MLCAD. That way I can view it in LDView. It has a precise camera that can be adjusted by the degree and distance. This way I can make animated frames. However, there's a downside. LDView's render of the model isn't even early as pretty as LDD's. But unlike LDD, LDView can render the brick seams. Looks like I have to sacrifice looks for accuracy. MLCAD seems to be more versaile than LDD, but its interface is quite difficult.
Link to the WAD for those who are interested: http://www.mediafire.com/download/51brhke6o2rg36t/LegoTest3.zip

And now, some screenshots.

Built and rendered in Lego Digital Designer

Built in MLCAD, rendered in LDView

Built and rendered in Lego Digital Designer

Built in MLCAD, rendered in LDView

Solution found to the accuracy problem, but a whole new set of problems emerged. Check out the edited first post. Also added comparison screenshots.

That would mean I'd have to convert them to traditional models first. MLCAD saves in LDraw format. I'd have to make the model in LeoCAD and convert it with that. It's really not worth the effort.

Death Egg said:

Always wanted a proper Lego Doom, heh. Would love to see if you could find a way to animate it.

I have thought the same as well.

I could defiantly make this, unfortunately involved in other stuff at the moment and also tinker around with my own robot mod.

Maybe one day I shall make a few lego replacement monsters and see what people think.

Not sure how I would go about modelling a lego imp....anyone good at concept drawing.

There is always so many cool ideas I think about and could actually pull off, but making it into a full blown mod is another story :(