Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Doom Wiki Google rank issues

Xaser said:

Not that we'd ever beat Wikia to the top spot anyway; I'd at least like to see doomwiki.org second or third in all relevant queries, which isn't the case at the moment.

Wishes and wants won't make anything happen. There are only limited ways to gain SEO and most of them involve paying people money. The simplest way is to get more people to link to you. That nobody can be bothered to actually try changing the links on Wikipedia speaks to how important it is really considered, IMHO. AFAIK it's been talked about and talked about in the past and then nobody actually did it.

Of course one of our top referrers are the Doomworld Forums, but links here are marked nofollow AFAIK and I asked if it was possible to have an exception coded in for doomwiki.org; never really got a yes OR no answer to that unless silence can be considered no.

Jimi said:

If I search Doom Wiki, doomwiki.org is 5th. If I search DoomWiki without the space, it's 2nd.

Same here when using StartPage, which (if they're to be believed) is basically Google's results without the tracking and personalization.

Quasar said:

Of course one of our top referrers are the Doomworld Forums, but links here are marked nofollow AFAIK and I asked if it was possible to have an exception coded in for doomwiki.org; never really got a yes OR no answer to that unless silence can be considered no.

I don't ever recall being asked this, but it has just been done.

Gez said:

Somebody got on the ball since the last time I looked, apparently. Good to see. I should always check again before I complain ;)

Bloodshedder said:

I don't ever recall being asked this, but it has just been done.

Brought it up a few times on IRC but I am guessing you must have never seen it; thanks, though.

I've blocked the Doom wikia on my computer just to prevent them from getting hits instead, since I'm not really careful about looking at which url I choose half the time.