Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Converting .lmp's to video?

Hi there, I recently within the past couple of weeks decided to upload some of my "speed" demos to my youtube channel and use bandicam to record. I was wondering if there's a way to just convert the .lmp to video at all so I can get rid of my desktop being shown at the start of a video.

I heard that there is a -viddump command, I use a command like this in my launcher "-timedemo dv223-019 -viddump dv2speed.mkv" (without quotations) I have a codec installed but I can't seem to find a converted file. Is this possible? If so, what am I doing wrong? Sorry for the stupid question and thanks.

...not being funny, but is the simple task of trimming video clips in an editor (even one such as WMM) beyond your ability or something?

BaronOfStuff said:

...not being funny, but is the simple task of trimming video clips in an editor (even one such as WMM) beyond your ability or something?

Oh, yes I forgot about that. Okay that will solve the problem, sorry it's been a long day.

No I haven't but thank you, this will hopefully reduce some lag in video playback as well. Cheers. I think I know what the problem is I didn't have all the files necessary for the -viddump parameter to work. I just assumed I needed the one codec installed.

As for std.out:

I_CalculateRes: trying to optimize screen pitch
test case for pitch=1376 is processed 25224 times for 100 msec
test case for pitch=1408 is processed 26556 times for 100 msec
optimized screen pitch is 1408
I_InitScreenResolution: Using resolution 1366x768
found C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/prboom-plus.wad
found C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/ksutra.wad
Playing demo ks23-016.lmp
found C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/ks23-016.lmp
G_DoPlayDemo: playing demo with Doom/Doom2 v1.9 compatibility
adding C:/Users/David/Downloads/zdoom-2.6.0/doom2.wad
adding C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/prboom-plus.wad
adding C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/ksutra.wad
adding ks23-016.lmp
adding C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\prboom-plus-demoex-a15380.wad
W_InitCache
found C:/Users/David/Downloads/zdoom-2.6.0/doom2.wad
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/Users/David/Downloads/zdoom-2.6.0/doom2.wad
adding C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/prboom-plus.wad
adding C:/Users/David/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32/prboom-plus-2.5.1.3/ksutra.wad
adding ks23-016.lmp
adding C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\prboom-plus-demoex-a15380.wad
W_InitCache

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon -
R_LoadTrigTables: Endianness...ok.
R_InitData: Textures Flats Sprites
R_Init: R_InitPlanes R_InitLightTables R_InitSkyMap R_InitTranslationsTables R_InitPatches
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
I_InitSound: configured audio device with 1024 samples/slice
Fluidplayer: Fluidsynth version 1.1.3
portmidiplayer device list:
MMSystem:Microsoft MIDI Mapper
MMSystem:Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
portmidiplayer: Opening device MMSystem:Microsoft MIDI Mapper for output
I_InitSound: sound module ready
S_Init: Setting up sound.
S_Init: default sfx volume 7
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
I_InitGraphics: 1366x768
I_UpdateVideoMode: 0x60000010, SDL buffer, direct access
I_CapturePrep: opening pipe "oggenc2 -r -R 22050 -q 5 - -o output.ogg"
I_CapturePrep: sound pipe failed
ST_Init: Init status bar.
G_DoPlayDemo: playing demo with Doom/Doom2 v1.9 compatibility
vorb_registersong: failed
mad_registersong failed: input buffer too small (or EOF)
db_registersong: couldn't load as tracker
Exp_RegisterSongEx: Using player fluidsynth midi player
P_GetNodesVersion: using normal BSP nodes
P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at 1668,1350 (type=76)
P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at 1740,1492 (type=76)
P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at 1674,1438 (type=76)
P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at 866,1868 (type=76)
P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at 960,1878 (type=76)
vorb_registersong: failed
mad_registersong failed: input buffer too small (or EOF)
db_registersong: couldn't load as tracker
Exp_RegisterSongEx: Using player fluidsynth midi player
Timed 649 gametics in 258 realtics = 88.0 frames per second
I_ShutdownSound:

prboom-plus needs some set up before you can really use the -viddump parameter, and it's just output to the directory you run it in. My cfg file has the following in it:

# Video capture encoding settings
cap_soundcommand          "ffmpeg -f s16le -ar %s -ac 2 -i - -acodec flac temp.flac"
cap_videocommand          "ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -r 35 -s %wx%h -i - -vcodec ffvhuff temp.mkv"
cap_muxcommand            "ffmpeg -i temp.flac -i temp.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy %f"
cap_tempfile1             "temp.flac"
cap_tempfile2             "temp.mkv"
cap_remove_tempfiles          1
You'd need ffmpeg installed for the same set up to work, and that's by far not the only way. The way I have it there, it outputs to a lossless video+audio container that will be very large, but you can do post-processing on it afterwards.

Also, for sharing it to video sites, it's better if you used a more standard resolution while running the command. 1280x720 is usually great, you could also use 1920x1080 if you wanted to but the file will be much larger. What your real computer can handle won't matter since it's writing out every frame perfectly.

In my videos I just record my demo, then playback the demo in prBoom at 320x200 resolution in windowed mode (I think people have told me there are better resolutions to record from to get the aspect ratio right on youtube but I forget what they are.)

I use Hypercam 2 because it allows you to point and click a window to highlight it and only record that section of the screen. So I record the my demo as it's being played back with Hypercam 2, then save the video and trim out the unnecessary parts of the video with Windows Movie maker before I upload it to youtube.

Results:

I'm not sure if there's any converter whatsoever that would be capable of converting a .lmp file into a video file. I just play the demos in-game and record them with Fraps. Only problem with Fraps is that the unregistered version is only capable of recording 30-second clips and the full license isn't too cheap ($37 last time I checked).

MFG38 said:

I'm not sure if there's any converter whatsoever that would be capable of converting a .lmp file into a video file. I just play the demos in-game and record them with Fraps. Only problem with Fraps is that the unregistered version is only capable of recording 30-second clips and the full license isn't too cheap ($37 last time I checked).

As has been mentioned before, you can use "prboom-plus -timedemo demo.lmp -viddump demo.mp4" to convert demo.lmp in to a demo.mp4 video. However, with prboom-plus' standard configuration you'll need additional tools for that, i.e. oggenc2, x264 and mkvmux. Or you change the configuration to use ffmpeg for all three encoding steps, as has also been mentioned before.

Is there any hope that video recording gets integrated into ports so you don't have to manually install any extra? I had read through PrBoom+ video how-to, and it looked complicated.