Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

BlueFireZ88 said:

i honestly think Barons might be a better enemy for Hunted as the Archviles were very fast and had high health.

I suggested a while back that in order to keep the map title making sense -- which is just "Hunted", not "The Hunted" (oh I am pedantic) -- the Arch-Vile cluster could be replaced with two or three Cyberdemons. I know that this seriously throws the ammo requirements out, but this can be remedied by adding some in a few areas. There's simply nothing else in the bestiary that could cause as much dread as that many Arch-Viles in a maze.

Revenants, Knights, Barons, Nightmare Spectres, Chaingunners... it doesn't matter. They're not a big enough threat in such an environment. Any of these Hellspawn would be the ones being hunted, and I don't think that's what the title of the map was supposed to imply.

I thought about Barons, but no. They don't give a fear effect.

Anyway, I don't think that map should be mega hard in PSX version. Otherwise, this map will be deemed non-playable and will be excluded from the list

DeXiaZ said:

Well, upload it or not?

Of course. I'm not sure what the popular opinion is, I know I wanted to keep the Arch-Vile myself, but there's no reason not to upload your conversion.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Of course. I'm not sure what the popular opinion is, I know I wanted to keep the Arch-Vile myself, but there's no reason not to upload your conversion.

Yeah, I wanted "save" Arch-Vile too, but it's "impossible".

Download link

Ragnor said:

If Hunted is already being done, I guess we wont be getting those sounds from Aubrey :/

I also guess we won't be getting those sounds, but I think it'll have more to do with Aubrey having other things to do than with the map being done using revenants.

Revenants was a good choice in my opinion. The exit area doesn't seem right for a PSX in my opinion, most notably I can see the sky below the level, could make the walls higher and/or make the steps and exit lower.

Salahmander2 said:

Revenants was a good choice in my opinion. The exit area doesn't seem right for a PSX in my opinion, most notably I can see the sky below the level, could make the walls higher and/or make the steps and exit lower.

Maybe, maybe (c)

UPD: Ok, I added some fixes for map, but I have a problem with first swtich.

Original switch lowers platform very fast, but can I do this for PSX version? Because there is no texture and this give some visual bugs while platform goes down

What kind of visual bugs are you talking about? If it's the one where it looks like the floor is lowering, it did it in the version you uploaded a couple of hours ago.

Salahmander2 said:

What kind of visual bugs are you talking about? If it's the one where it looks like the floor is lowering, it did it in the version you uploaded a couple of hours ago.

Yes, this. It's not good, I think.

What about using a cage texture without the Revenants being able to see you, this way, you can avoid the floor problem, and potentially, make it seem more PSX like if possible.

Salahmander2 said:

What about using a cage texture without the Revenants being able to see you, this way, you can avoid the floor problem, and potentially, make it seem more PSX like if possible.

It's not line, it's a sector. And alpha channel doesn't work with platform-sector.

UPDATE: Version 1.1

Looks a lot better, you not putting in colourised sectors? Otherwise this is pretty much as good as it'll get in my opinion. :D

Salahmander2 said:

Looks a lot better, you not putting in colourised sectors? Otherwise this is pretty much as good as it'll get in my opinion. :D

I think that this map needn't colored sectors

BaronOfStuff said:

Good stuff. Testing revealed a couple of minor bugs (incorrect textures, incorrect argument in a linedef function), but they've been fixed:
Version 1.11

Well, thank you!

UPD: Now I'm working with map 13 from Doom 2 (DownTown). Freak yeah, I love city maps with 512 ceiling ;[

UPD2: Uh, forgot about 1 moment: HUNTED v1.12

Fixed final area. Now this map looks nice x)

Marnetmar said:

I'm sorry but due to some constraints I have to give up my slot.

Did you make any progress? Post what you've done and I'll resume. Or just take over from scratch, whatever.

Either format's fine provided that it works!

As for your map, it's not bad. Personally I think that the outside area is too red for a 'firesky' map, and you've left that silly "leg hanging from the sky" decoration, but it certainly plays fine.

DeXiaZ said:
[B
P.S.: Interesting, I don't see a "Bloodfalls" map (D2 Map25) in list. But I don't remember this map in PSX Doom. Forgot to add to the list? Or I'm forgot this map...? [/B]

Bloodfalls was MAP51 of the PSX

Eris Falling said:

Bloodfalls was MAP51 of the PSX

Wow, really missed it :\ Thanks!

Downtown's looking good! I added the recent releases to the OP and removed Marnetmar, but there are a lot of maps left, it's not that big of a deal to leave you up there even if you're not going to get to it for a while. (I need to get back to work on The Living End myself.)

A good reminder I really need to hurry up and finish Pharaoh..I'm nearly ready to move on to things...

I probably missed something somewhere

MAP137: Pharaoh

I didn't really delete many areas, it was mostly just vertex removal and sector merging. Uses the night sky and music from Geryon.
I can't do videos, sorry :P

EDIT: PSXMUS16 for Downtown?

Eris Falling said:

PSXMUS16 for Downtown?

Yes, because this map needn't especial music (where are whispers or screams or strange UAC base sounds).