Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bardack

More Doom III details

We take a look at a completely different screening of Doom III. Details inside.

When we saw the demonstration of Doom III at the id Software booth, we were blown away. Doom III is by far the best-looking game we've ever seen, and its superb use of atmospheric lighting creates an air of horror that few games have ever conveyed. We were able to discern a lot of information about the game just from watching the 11-minute demo, but needless to say, we were hungry for more. So when Lead Designer Tim Willits presented a completely different demonstration of Doom III at the E3 Sneak Peeks panel, we were waiting with pens in hand.
Willits' presentation was noticeably shorter than the primary demo of Doom III--it ran for only four minutes, and it showed a mix of familiar and new clips of this exciting game. The demo opens up with a camera panning around futuristic laboratories, zooming down dimly lit hallways, and following a high-speed lift as it speeds up an elevator shaft. Like the primary demonstration, this presentation of Doom III was all rendered using the impressive 3D engine.

We next saw a quick montage of the game's many undead creatures, including a commando leaping through a pane of glass, shattering it to bits; a pink demon roaming around a futuristic foundry; and another horrific creature taking a big chunk out of a bloated body that was sprawled on a bathroom floor stained with blood. According to Willits, the foundry scene gives a good indication of the particle effects in Doom III--and it does, as the sparks and waves of heat from the molten steel were all displayed beautifully.

Willits went on to comment on the status of the game's development. As id Software fans know, Doom III has been in development for nearly 24 months. Thankfully, Willits said that the Doom III technology is completely done, and even though there are still some obvious optimization issues that need to be worked out, the design team is now fully engrossed in finishing the actual game itself. Interestingly, Willits said that id is creating Doom III backward--the team is designing the last levels first, and the first levels last. Even though this first section of the game is still incomplete, Willits said that players will start the game before the forces of hell are unleashed and will be able to roam around and interact with nonplayer characters freely.

Some other interesting tidbits that Willits revealed were that Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor did the music and sound for the E3 demo and that he and id Software are currently in negotiations to do the music for the final game. Willits also said that id has no current plans to do an Xbox port of Doom III, though the game could hypothetically run on Microsoft's hardware.

As usual, we'll have more details on this game as they become available.

By Amer Ajami, GameSpot PC [POSTED: 05/22/02]

Hmmm...did anyone get to see any of it actually being <i>played</i> or was it all just demo/movie-type stuff...?

BTW hi everyone, first post here...

So, you're free to roam around before all Hell breaks loose? That sounds unpleasantly much like HL to me *shudders*
Hopefully, you'll be allowed to start the actual killing spree earlier than in HL.

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Hmmm...did anyone get to see any of it actually being <i>played</i> or was it all just demo/movie-type stuff...?

No actual gameplay so far. And hi, enjoy your stay in the Doomworld forums and please don't carry over the general lameness you're familiar with from the Q3World forums. =)

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Hi and welcome. Fyi: we use [] brackets for bb code here, not <> brackets.

Fredrik said:

We don't have such lameness here :)

/me wanks

heh. Just wait till the blue's news community finds us. There are so many lamers there it's unthinkable. Well. That's not just a blue's news thing... They're kinda everywhere.

Shaviro said:

heh. Just wait till the blue's news community finds us. There are so many lamers there it's unthinkable. Well. That's not just a blue's news thing... They're kinda everywhere.

Yep. It's good that we don't belong to them.

WTF is up with people comparing it to Resident Evil? RE is rendered backgrounds. D3 is ingame.

Lüt said:

No worries, I'll root them out in no time at all.

Yeah, that's gonna be great (looking forward to reading your leet kill lines for post hell material :-P).

Lüt said:

No worries, I'll root them out in no time at all.

YAY. You are my new hero.

dsm said:

(looking forward to reading your leet kill lines for post hell material :-P).

Oh man I have to revive that old artform? :(

Hm, never mind then. Just looking forward to seeing you shut those assholes' mouths.
>:-]

dsm said:

So, you're free to roam around before all Hell breaks loose? That sounds unpleasantly much like HL to me *shudders*
Hopefully, you'll be allowed to start the actual killing spree earlier than in HL.

dsm, I'm about to change your title to something more fitting.

dsm said:

Let's hope we get to practice our aiming skillz at those 'bad hair day scientists' :)

RRROOOAAARRR said:

whoa, rrroooaaarrr is here, /me ph33rs of the power of Q3W carrying over!

/me is known as "Violence3k" at Q3W :)

Zaldron said:

dsm, I'm about to change your title to something more fitting.

What? Can't I even have an opinion anymore?

OK...hang on, what Q3W lameness...? Grumble grumble...and how many pop-ups is that now? About 3 in 3 minutes, how do I get rid of them? I've never seen so many.

RRROOOAAARRR said:

how do I get rid of them?

Using IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, Sites ... and add mediamgr.ugo.com to the restricted sites list.

Failing that, look here.

"If for some reason you want to block a domain, say for instance, mediamgr.ugo.com, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites -> Sites, and add the domain mediamgr.ugo.com to that zone. Or, if you don't use MSIE, you can open your c:\windows\hosts file and make mediamgr.ugo.com resolve to 127.0.0.1. mediamgr.ugo.com happens to be responsible for the popup ads on Doomworld, but that doesn't matter, since I'm just giving advice on how to block arbitrary domains for education's sake."

Or install Pop-Up Killer, which gets rid of pop-ups and such wonderfully. Downside is, I have to switch it off before I start my nightly search for Kinky SeX0r, since it tends to shut down sites with titles like "HOT RUSSIAN LOLITA ACTION XXX !!1" too.

Zaldron said:

Don't ask.

I want to know!!!!111111 :]

No wait, I visited that place once... I don't want to do that again. There was a thread starting with one lame image... then 50 replies quoting the image, adding a "LOL"...