Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Media/Info Disscusion Thread

HELLO. Remember me? :)

Damn. That 7 minute video rocks. I just wish they could've released it in a 5+ fps version. I really like DOOM III so far...

Visuals:

Err... Do I really have to comment this? :) The graphical side of the game is totally unbelievable. It's just too bad the 7 minute video has as little actual DOOM III video as it has. The bathroom scene is amazing. Look at the floor. It doesn't look like a flat painting anymore. Hurray for bump-mapping. The game will probably be as grosse and terrifying as the old DOOM. Oh yeah.... the PIRATE BLASTER 2000!"#"¤#% r0x0rs my b0x0rs. Release the damn 11 minute video already.

Gameplay:

Well. We didn't see much gameplay in this video. The only actual gameplay we saw was the marine holding the PIRATE BLASTER 2000#"%#"¤ in the hallway. Too bad this was recorded in front of a monitor :/. Release the damn 11 minute video already.

Sounds and Music:

Even though it's Trent who is doing the soundtrack, I like the music in the 7 minute video. It seems doomy. Much like Bobby's old music from DOOM I and II. There must be more in the other two videos... Release the damn 11 minute video already.

Design/Theme:

Green. Hmm. I'd really like to see some color variations from the green. We see a little blue in the PIRATE shot and the birdman shot, but I don't think that's enough. Well. I won't jump to conclusions as we've only seen 1 minute total of the same building.

Story:

YAY. This is a very DOOMY story. Well. It IS the DOOM story...heh. Just goes to prove my point that the Half-Life story was a ripoff of DOOM's.

...Why does that sign in the bathroom say CAUTION: No smoking? Do people pee flammable liquids in the future?

Green

WTF do everybody think it looks green. I see no green in there at all, only supernatural quantities of cyan...

Well, if I got to see that "pirate" pistol in action I'd be better off knowing whether to like it or not - so far, I dislike the back of it. Ugly pirate look, meh.
Release the 11 minute video already ;-)

Seriously, you better prepare yourself for a "Quakecon 2001 situation" (No 11 minute video release). At least we got the 7 minute video :-)

Shaviro said:

No it doesn't, damn j00.

How do you know what it looks like to me?

Does it fucking matter? Shut up and get back to drooling over the 7 minute video, damn j00!

dsm said:

Well, if I got to see that "pirate" pistol in action I'd be better off knowing whether to like it or not - so far, I dislike the back of it. Ugly pirate look, meh.
Release the 11 minute video already ;-)

Seriously, you better prepare yourself for a "Quakecon 2001 situation" (No 11 minute video release). At least we got the 7 minute video :-)

Yeah i know.

Fredrik said:

It's cyan and it's closer to blue than green. Fix your damn monitor.

There's nothing wrong with my monitor#¤"& I think it's close to green than blue.

Lüt said:

How do you know what it looks like to me?

You don't wanna know :)

From now on use this one to discuss anything related to the new stuff. I have to update the FAQ and I would like to centralize the discussion and separate it from the relevant, official data.

Maonth : As you can see I merged your post here, mostly because I'm expecting lots of personal views on the trailer and I just hate to browse between lots of look-alike threads.

Apparently some guy from Fountainhead announced this on BluesNews.com

Oh, here it is :

Once again, Fountainhead did NOT encode that 5fps QuickTime. id Software sent that out elsewhere. But, I've gotten permission to upload a 30fps version which I'm encoding now. I'm not promissing when it will be done, but it will be today. Also, I've only gotten permission so far to send it along to GameSpy, which means it will be available on FilePlanet first. For those of you that will have a problem with that, sorry.

Also, just to clarify once more, this is the 7 minute video that is shown outside id's booth at E3 to prep the people waiting in line to see the real-time demo. This is NOT a video of the real-time demo.

Matthew Ross
Fountainhead Entertainment

Shaviro said:

There's nothing wrong with my monitor#¤"& I think it's close to green than blue.

It's totally understandable of why Maonth assumes its scheme as green. Green is one of major colors I see so far over all the new D3 shots. Below is one of the greenish examples.

Green, blue, cyan, plus red as bloody hell own us aLL!

BTW, check this out :

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=7757914

I can't read squat shit Norwegian, but apparently it says nothing new but this :

"In, Doom III, youll be able to go over to the computers inside the gameworld, and check e-mails and read clues about what to do and stuff."

Shamelessly stolen from Blues News comments.

That's not green, it's cyan-green....

And other scenes are essentially cyan-blue...

Some dude said:

I've gotten permission to upload a 30fps version which I'm encoding now.

I'm not promissing when it will be done, but it will be today.

:)

Well, let me round up my thoughts of the new screenshots and video so far. I'm not sure if any of this will be of use, but what the hell.

It doesn't get any spiffier than this. The zombie model clearly isn't insanely high-poly, but the new materials and "Carmack magic" make this look absolutely brilliant, even from very up-close. Actually, one thing that's odd is that if you're playing at a low-res (640x480 or something) and don't get really close to the characters, you miss a lot of detail. All the more reason to make the game play a lot slower than the originals... Rushing past this at 90mph would be a damn sin. I really like how the right arm is all deformed and weird looking. The specular lighting really makes the muscles/veins look all soft and shiny. I also love the pose he strikes in the intro of the Doom: Legacy movie. He breathes real heavily and just looks very tough. The background isn't too shabby either.
  • New screenshot #2: Doom III: Attack of the Fatasses (picture)
Really looks like that fat guy out of Monolith's excellent BLOOD game. Also looks like one of these guys fell prey to the demon in the Bathroom Scene - which means the demons are not only going after you, but also after each other. Again, the detail is very nice though I hope they don't make a habit of putting two distinctive characters like this in one place together. But maybe all UAC janitors are clones of each other. Yeah.Probably the least impressive shot of the four, since the orange lighting looks kinda cheesy IMO. These guys look like your regular Former Human cannon fodder, and it should be great fun putting them down with the new shotgun or assault rifle. A really cool touch is how it appears something ripped their hearts out and sowed their chests back up again. Bumpmaps are nicely used to create the illusion of ribs etc. where there is no actual geometry to back it up.Now we're talking. After comparing this with the blurry picture that got leaked at least year's QuakeCon, it's obvious just how much we underestimated all the detail that is going into this game. The blood, the tiles, the 500-poly urinals, the monster, the dead space janitor... It all looks cool individually, but more important the whole scene fits together perfectly. This is the greatest screenshot of any game I've ever seen, because of the eye candy but also because of the gritty atmosphere it sets.

Also the most impressive thing about this shot (and some of the other material we've seen) is the specular lighting. The highlights on the monster's neck, the urinals and especially the sink things add a great deal of realism to the whole scene. The blood looks more real than anything I've ever seen, and that's including genuine Hollywood movies. This shot will remain burned onto my mind's eye (and my HD) for all eternity.

• The Quicktime movie
There's so much stuff going on here, I'm just going to pick out the most important things to me.
  • The stumbling demon: This shot isn't an instant classic like the Bathroom scene is, though it does confirm the presence of fog in the engine.
  • Bathroom scene in motion: The whole bathroom episode turns up many times in the movie, from all kinds of angles. It reveals another corpse sitting against a wall (at about 1:48 you can clearly see it), among other things. One thing that I thought was really cool is how the Demon's head seems to be kinda buried inside its body, and when it attacks it pops out like a turtle's head. This DivX clip (180K) shows what I'm talking about. The part where the demon bites a chunck out of the guy's stomach, throws it up into the air then eats it shows how the animators are putting their heart and soul into varied animation for specific cut-scenes. God bless 'em.
  • The concept art: All the concept art is looking extremely cool. The Pinky sketch reveals the back part of the demon is mechanical, with a really ace-looking metal spine going into the organic part. The spider-demon looks fan-flippin-tastic. And the lost soul is just great in the way it looks much more human than the original, and it's now powered by some kinda sparkly engine instead of the Mystical Crappy Fire (tm).
  • First peek at in-game: The part where you can see the marine's viewpoint, looking down a corridor with a funky pirate pistol in his hand, is interesting since it's the first in-game shot we've seen. The tube things on the left look cool, especially with the animated bubbles. And if you squint you can just see a tiny HUD in the lower left of the screen. I hope they keep it this small.
  • Big slimy monster: This guy is just frightening. The slime looks abso-fucking-lutely kick-ass as it drips down its chin, as does the movement of the thing. Can't wait to see it at 30fps later tonight.
  • The editor: looks 100% exactly like GTKRadiant (the Q3 editor) to me, apart from the fact that you can see the fully lit and shadowed level in the 3D view now as you're building the stuff. Those rusty textures with holes in them look pretty cool.
  • The new Imp: Mixed feelings about this one. I like its look and color, yet the whole fireball thing looks a bit out of touch with the rest of the environment. We'll see.
Well, that pretty much sums it up. I do dislike how they sacrificed two minutes of this video to Trent Reznor jabbering on and on about how he loved shareware Doom. Yeah, Trent, we kinda liked it too.

To sum everything up nicely : I think I'm going to like Doom III :)

...retelling of the original Doom...

I WAS RIGHT. RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING MWHAHAHAhAhAhAHAH!!1!43

I knew too! We're all 1337 haxx0rz!!!!!!

The 7 minute quicktime movie has a strong behind-the-scenes feel to it, don't you think?

Seeing the doom story being told properly is gonna be great. If you had a good imagination, you could figure most of it out from the original. It's a good story, can't wait to see it :)

I am absolutly sure that the good old gameplay will be gone tho. The story will no doubt be awsome, the mood too. But the gameplay... we'll have to wait and see.

The game looks great... but reminds me more of a Resident evil FPS like Ling said.
What's so "pirate" about the pistol? It looks sweet however you want to describe it.

Oh and the pinky's head action reminded me of a penis and foreskin, haha. I guess I'm more sick-minded than Flathead. But seriously, why is the "hood" over the head so smooth, shiny, and skin colored? Damn, I WISH it looked more like a turtle to me.

Seems like they're going almost Quake style with the monsters. I can't picture cybernetic creatures coming out of hell. But then I thought, Doom may not represent things from a Biblical style Hell, but it will present very HELLISH beasts and environments. I'm sure Carmack's artists can create terror just as effectively as the Dark Lord himself. At least I hope so! : )

I got pretty excited by the concept art, it was very well done, and the spider-mastermind looked sweeeet.
However, I absolutely creamed my pants when I saw the high-res 3d model of the soldier guy on the monitor. Unbe-freaking-lievable! Pure l33t skillz, I wish I had the dedication (or monetary compensation:)) to model something that detailed.