Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

One God or two?

Scientist said:

Ask Lüt he had tons of science books pointing to a creator. But he sold 'em on ebay a few years back though. ;)

Oooo, what is this, a cheap stab at me?

I'm sorry I didn't forsee ever needing to look through them again for the sake of arguing with somebody on a forum. If the earth itself and everything on it isn't good enough proof that some creator (at one time) did exist then I don't see some odd formulas or facts changing anybody's mind, but again for those of you who are totally formula driven, it just might work.

BTW I sold those with the rest of my old religious books a few years back. Nothing left. You might say "he almost saw the light".

orion said:

I just don't understand how a person could be religious after going to the same biology class as me.

Well I didn't have the same biology class as you but I don't remember how anything taught in it would go against people's religions.

Then again the only thing I actually remember from it nowadays is being sent to the dean's office about 10 times :P

But if it had somehow made me wonder about religion anytime during the course I would've remembered that too.

the_Danarchist said:

Even if God really exists, it would be necessary to abolish him.

Uh... yeah maybe the same way violent video games and movies need to abolished...

God would have to be abolished. Think of it this way. No matter what you believe someone will believe differently. If there was an all-knowing person or 'God,' he would have to be destroyed to protect other religion's interests. People die for their shoes. And I'm pretty sure that people die for their beliefs (another reason why Christianity is wrong...among other religions but Christianity is the worst) so it only seems practical that God would have to be destroyed. Any being with any amount of influence will be criticized and when it comes to things like values, morals and/or religion people are willing to die.

Black

Black said:

If there was an all-knowing person or 'God,' he would have to be destroyed to protect other religion's interests.

Either that, or the other religions would have to say "oops" when that one God revealed himself.

Black said:

And I'm pretty sure that people die for their beliefs (another reason why Christianity is wrong...)

So, because somebody hates Christians enough to kill them just for the fact that they're Christian, it means Christianity is bad?

Astounding, I never would have realized that in a million years.

I'm not exactly Christian, but not all of the concepts in it aren't that bad. It really all depends on the persons interpereting it.

Remember, religion doesn't kill people, people kill people.

No...no...no...no!

The fact of the matter is people kill people, (yes, javaguy) but what do they die for? They die for what they believe in.

You are being slanderous in vain, Lut. I specifically said;
(another reason why Christianity is wrong...among other religions but Christianity is the worst)

First of all, I said ANOTHER reason why... thus meaning I probably have more reasons to think that Christianity is false and secondly I said, AMONG other religions which would imply that other religions do the same thing. You should probably read and then think about what I say rather than just trying to take a bash at me. You also used that in the wrong context. If people hate people for the simple fact they are Christians isn't what necessarily makes it wrong, it's the fact that people use Christianity to justify killing/hating people. Since Christianity does not agree with Buddhism they would seem inflicted to die over their beliefs in the moment of truth (refer to the top statement.) And quite frankly I think Christians are more willing to die for the simple reason that they're imperalistic. Just like the United States. In God we trust. Yeah, that's not a prejudice-like statement.

Black

Lüt said:

Whatever it was I said

Uh... yeah maybe the same way violent video games and movies need to abolished...

Heh...that was just kind of a joke. It's from a realy neat KMFDM song...some sampled quote that I'm beginning to think they just fabricated themselves. The whole statement seems pointless, because if there was a god, it'd kill us just for thinking about acting on that statement. :P

Fodders spouted:
Some insanely and pointlessly long and useless word.

Heh...that whole pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis thing in my signature is mocking BBG's signature.

I'm basicaly just saying that antidisestablishmentarianism is a much more useful (and cooler looking!) word than pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis or the word you just presented. If you think about it, you can use the word 'antidisestablishmentarianism' in pretty much any conversation. Those other two words are just to grossly precise to be used in any conversation, save one about the actual word (or more precisely the object the word is representing) itself.

Oh, and if you guys continue this whole 'Christianity - Good or Evil' discussion, I might just be forced to join in.
I'm just to lazy to do it right now. :)

Black said:

You are being slanderous in vain, Lut.

I wasn't trying to twist what you said.

Black said:

First of all, I said ANOTHER reason why... thus meaning I probably have more reasons to think that Christianity is false

Yeah I uh, picked that up from a few other threads ;)

Black said:

You should probably read and then think about what I say rather than just trying to take a bash at me.

Why is it that whenever somebody expresses a different view in a reply, the original poster thinks that person hasn't read the original post?

I replied to what I thought your post expressed, that's all.

Black said:

You also used that in the wrong context. If people hate people for the simple fact they are Christians isn't what necessarily makes it wrong, it's the fact that people use Christianity to justify killing/hating people.

So I'm going to assume that you're saying "because Christianity can be used/misused to 'justify' killing people, Christianity should be done away with".

Close?

If that's what you meant - just because Christianity can be taken advantage of, twisted around and used for somebody's own personal crusade doesn't make Christianity itself bad. It's the people who misuse it that are bad. You can't just try to take away everything that can be abused by power-hungry maniacs who want to hurt/kill other people and only need a good excuse to. It's the maniac's fault if he abuses the religion, not Christianities.

Black said:

Since Christianity does not agree with Buddhism they would seem inflicted to die over their beliefs in the moment of truth (refer to the top statement.)

Well, what's this "moment of truth"? I know plenty of groups of people, starting with my own group of friends, which consist of multi-religious beliefs and they can all get along fine.

The "moment of truth" I think would be when they eventually die and find out if there's an afterlife, and if their belief of what it would be like was true or not. It's just a "wait and see" thing.

Black said:

And quite frankly I think Christians are more willing to die for the simple reason that they're imperalistic.

That's to be determined on an individual basis. Some may be, others aren't.

Black said:

Just like the United States. In God we trust. Yeah, that's not a prejudice-like statement.

I don't take it as one.

the_Danarchist said:

It's from a realy neat KMFDM song...

Bleh, why didn't I see that coming :P

the_Danarchist said:
I'm basicaly just saying that antidisestablishmentarianism is a much more useful (and cooler looking!) word than pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis or the word you just presented. If you think about it, you can use the word 'antidisestablishmentarianism' in pretty much any conversation. Those other two words are just to grossly precise to be used in any conversation, save one about the actual word (or more precisely the object the word is representing) itself.

antidisestablishmentarianism
What does that mean?

anti = against
dis = opposite of followed word
establishment = subjective, it depends who you think is powerful
arian = a connection with or belief in the stated subject
ism = set of believes

It could mean you believe in pro establishment for sure. Double negative is positive and double positive staments means you ae fanatical. I.E. you word means one is a fanatical pro establishment person.

"Antidisestablishmentarianism" basically means you're opposed to the removal of centralized, organized power. Rather non-punk, IMHO.

Hey, all you who say anything to the effect of, "Well, if god was really there, than things would be like this:", how would you know? Maybe if god is there she/he's not exactly how you think he/she is.

JavaGuy said:

Hey, all you who say anything to the effect of, "Well, if god was really there, than things would be like this:", how would you know? Maybe if god is there she/he's not exactly how you think he/she is.

Exactly. Of course, most of the time people like to place their own morality as God's, placing words in God's mouth so to speak. Which is at the same time amusing and kind of sad.

Myself, I don't pretend to know what God thinks.

IMJack said:

"Antidisestablishmentarianism" basically means you're opposed to the removal of centralized, organized power. Rather non-punk, IMHO.

Yeah, I'm more into disestablishmentarianism myself, but anything begining with 'anti-' looks cool.

the_Danarchist said:
It's from a realy neat KMFDM song...

Aren't they all really neat? :p

Bah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with God or religeon. It's people that are fucked up. Heh, looking down on what we're all doing, if there is a God he's probably really embarrassed...

lol. Good point Javaguy. Since I never believed in God or even pretended to I'd have to say I was arguing from a human's persective of what God thinks. Since yes, if fact, we don't really know what 'God' thinks, that would mean people are willing to die for what they THINK God wants them to die for. lol. Oh... That's a good one. :)

Black

Rellik said:

Aren't they all really neat? :p

Yeah. Except maybe More & Faster...that song is extremely lame, but it has awesome lyrics.

Black said:

lol. Good point Javaguy. Since I never believed in God or even pretended to I'd have to say I was arguing from a human's persective of what God thinks. Since yes, if fact, we don't really know what 'God' thinks, that would mean people are willing to die for what they THINK God wants them to die for. lol. Oh... That's a good one. :)

Black

Exactly. So why we disagree on the existance of God, we both agree that it isn't really right to say "God wants me to do this." Because if he's there, then who knows what he's doing. Personally, I think he's like a computer user and the universe is like his Sim City game... anyway, I think that's an analogy everyone -here- can understand. But who can say? The best we can do is treat everyone the way we would like to be treated ourselves and try to be fair. Those are humans virtues, at least.

JavaGuy said:

Exactly. So why we disagree on the existance of God, we both agree that it isn't really right to say "God wants me to do this."

Well, what God wants people to do and be like is pretty well outlined in the Bible, that's where you can make these assumptions from. It's not all "putting words in God's mouth", a lot of it is directly outlined there.

JavaGuy said:

Because if he's there, then who knows what he's doing. Personally, I think he's like a computer user and the universe is like his Sim City game... anyway, I think that's an analogy everyone -here- can understand.

Heh you too huh?

That was the one I always used on people =)

I usually used a Doom map maker as the example though.

OK... Most people (although don't agree) acknowledge the idea that 'majority rules' so technically Buddhism is right if you want to go that route. Although this is somewhat irrelevant I posted it in spite of what Lut said about "God's way of thinking being outlined in the Bible." I think the Christian God (as depicted by...well, Christians) is stupid. He is a hypocrite. Or least seems that way.

Black

It's true that Christianity contradicts itself many times, which is why I'm not really Christian. However, it much of it tells us to treat eachother kindly and live in peace, which is probably L(u with dots)t's point. The problem is, even if Christianity was the true way of god, the Bible was written by many different people, and then changed occasionally for a while.

There is only one God - and no such 'Trinity'. Christianity, although monotheistic is not the true religion of God.

Black said:

I think the Christian God (as depicted by...well, Christians) is stupid. He is a hypocrite. Or least seems that way.

Explain.

GS-1719 said:

There is only one God - and no such 'Trinity'. Christianity, although monotheistic is not the true religion of God.

Explain.

People, this forum is for argumanets. You can't make much of a point if you don't use a little evidence every once in a while.

People, this forum is for argumanets. You can't make much of a point if you don't use a little evidence every once in a while.

Explain. Dan, you can't make points like that if you don't back them up with some motivated arguments.

You just said that because you're trying to take over the forums with your name, you cheeky little monkey.

Really? Actually I just gotten into More and Faster the last day or two. It came on the random play and I thought it was great. The female sings are a bit much, but hey, I can dig it. :p

RRROOOAAARRR:

Thank god I'm an atheist.

Hey, that a good one! You should use that as your signature or something!

Explain???

What is there to explain? Besides the fact that Christians don't even practice Christianity. They tend to indirectly practice Satanism more or less it seems.

From how the Bible describes Jesus he seemed like a beggar who was dressed in rags. He was a carpenter who gave all of his riches (that those three kings gave him upon his birth date) away. He seemed like a charitable man who was anything but self centered. Now, the Christian churches demand donations and the Pope dresses a lot better than Jesus supposedly ever did. Does that make any sense?

And why the hell do we cherish the ten commandments even though no one practices them? Thou shall not kill. It should be "Thou shall not kill unless you have justification." Or at least that is what it reads as now. Thou shall remember the Sabbath to keep it holy. Yeah, how many people honestly do that other than when they are in church and/or dictated to? So forth, so on...

My biggest point with God being a hypocrite follows along the lines that supposedly God is giving us the choice to choose our own destiny. Yet, Christians believe if you practice any other religion (which follows along the "Thou shall have no other Gods before me" Commandment) that you are going to hell. Now what kind of narrow minded God would do that? If the Christian God is going to send me to hell for thinking on my own then fuck him. I don't want a self righteous nazi of a God like the Christians worship. All I can really say is no matter how you look at it, Christianity equals hypocrite.

Black