• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wraith777

Alpha Accident: Terra Nova - uploaded to idgames

Episode 1 uploaded:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/a-c/aa_e1
--------------------------------------

Alpha Accident is a limit removing megawad for Ultimate Doom that I'm working on.
Episode 1 features:
- 9 new large maps, designed to have a unique appearance
- classic gameplay with lots of exploration, secrets, nonlinear layouts and decent challenge
- new textures and graphics
- new music
- new game objects (many of which are interactive)
- new monsters (new boss included)
- new story

Technical info:
- If not played with AA_E1.exe (doom+ executable) a limit removing sourceport is needed (.deh file provided)
- Difficulty levels present
- maps are designed for pistol start
- Cooperative starts and DM starts and objects are placed on all maps
- weapons are modified a little bit (faster pistol, chaingun now has recoil, increased max. ammount of bullets)
- Jumping, crouching, looking up/down is prohibited

===========================

Story

A rusty planet. An old base. You and your squad are dying from boredom, when suddenly
a distress call from Phobos is recieved, requesting immediate help. Everyone goes there, except you, assigned for special duties on Mars...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Wraith777 said:

GFX. I want doomguy's hair to be black, if someone can recolor it, please, help.

You mean the status bar?
You can do it in 20 seconds in GIMP by selecting hair by brown color, desaturizing it, so it becomes grayscale and then you can adjust brightness contrast.

Wraith777 said:

OBJECTS/THINGS. I need to know, MAY I include a few sprites from DooM in my wad? I need it for some new objects to work.

well an iwad is reuired to load pwads, so you're using resources someone playing the mod should already have (that's also what 99% of new monsters do)

count me up for beta testing, doom / udoom wads are my thing

ellmo said:

You mean the status bar?
You can do it in 20 seconds in GIMP by selecting hair by brown color, desaturizing it, so it becomes grayscale and then you can adjust brightness contrast.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but simply selecting and desaturating the colours used for the HUD face's hair would result in grey areas all over the skin too. He'd look like an aborted specimen from Dr. Schabbs operating table!

Anyway, I assume OP wants something like this for all mugshots?

Also, count me in for testing.

ellmo said:

well an iwad is reuired to load pwads, so you're using resources someone playing the mod should already have (that's also what 99% of new monsters do)

The problem is that I need some additional frame (let it be sprite#1D) for existing sprite with 3 frames (A,B,C) to be included in my pwad. But when DooM scans my pwad it can't find in it frames sprite#1A, sprite#1B, sprite#1C and this causes an error.
The solutions are:
- to add it directly to IWAD (can't do this..)
- include all existing frames of this sprite in my pwad (I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS legally, that's why I'm asking)

Thats how make it work without including all sprite frames from the game in pwad(like in Alien TC was), but including only all frames of needed sprite: I placed all sprite frames in pwad, changed sprite name indicator and then renamed sprite itself in Dehacked. Now, when I use sprite with new additional frame from pwad with modified Doom.exe, it works and does not need nothing more. This way I can add frames to existing sprites for my own dark deeds..

ellmo said:

count me up for beta testing, doom / udoom wads are my thing

Ok, but it's long to wait until that, currently there may be only prealpha tests.

---------------------------

About hair: if someone makes it black I'd be very glad to appoint him as beta tester)). The other that doesn't.. may also be the one)).

I have a tech demo, it includes a little map with examples of new textures and properly integrated new objects. I just don't know, should I make it public and reveal almost all interesting things now or.. I may 'save it for later'((c)Ken Silverman)...

Wraith777 said:

- to add it directly to IWAD (can't do this..)
- include all existing frames of this sprite in my pwad (I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS legally, that's why I'm asking)

Chocolate Doom has a set of wad merging options which mimic the behavior of DeuTex and NWT without altering the IWAD, you might like to use that for testing purposes. The alternative under DOSBox is to use a batch file that merges the PWAD into a copy of the IWAD, launches Doom.exe and restores the IWAD after you quit the game.

GreyGhost said:

Chocolate Doom has a set of wad merging options which mimic the behavior of DeuTex and NWT without altering the IWAD, you might like to use that for testing purposes. The alternative under DOSBox is to use a batch file that merges the PWAD into a copy of the IWAD, launches Doom.exe and restores the IWAD after you quit the game.

Interesting, maybe I'll try it, just need to find out how it works..

Still, easiest way is to pust those 4-8 sprite frames from iwad(from shareware vertion atleast) into my pwad.
Afterall, Fisher did this in Alien TC and I haven't heard about it having problems with legal stuff..

BaronOfStuff said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but simply selecting and desaturating the colours used for the HUD face's hair would result in grey areas all over the skin too. He'd look like an aborted specimen from Dr. Schabbs operating table!

Clearly you're not supposed to select all brownish colors, but select the hair pixels with a magic wand, plus a pixel there and a pixel there. Once you get the hair selection you can apply any color you wish, limiting it to the selection.

I presume that's exactly how you did your gray-hair doomguy?

ellmo said:

I presume that's exactly how you did your gray-hair doomguy?

Yeah, pretty much. I should probably stop fucking around making Space Punks now and just get on with giving the HUD face black hair.

BaronOfStuff said:

Yeah, pretty much. I should probably stop fucking around making Space Punks now and just get on with giving the HUD face black hair.

Yes, exactly black, that should do it.

By the way, betatesters are allowed to play techdemo and look at some of the new things.

Ok, I think it's time for some testing.

I've assembled a new Tech Demo. It shows some gameplay concepts of wad, such as:
- various types of nonlinear level progression;
- new objects that are integrated in maps environment and are creating some new gameplay situations;
- some design and detail ideas.

What's included:
- 1 small/medium size map (purely demonstrational, it will not be included in wad)
- deh file / modified .exe, which include new game objects
- some examples of new textures / flats
- new music track
- some new graphics

Those who want to test it can take it here: http://rghost.net/46250129

The feedbacks on this demo will help the project to proceed further...

Wait, you did Wonderful Doom? It was indeed wonderful and I hope you give the other Dooms that treatment some day :D

Anyway, this project sounds good, though I assumed it was more alpha oriented at the first glance of the thread title. That coloured hair is awesome btw

It looks like you forgot to include the DEH file in the RAR? The TXT file says it's provided, but there's only an EXE.

I tried running it anyay, which Chocolate Doom 1.6 and Ultimate Doom 1.9 IWAD, but it just crashes very soon after start of E1M1, with this error:
R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 52 : 0

hex11 said:

It looks like you forgot to include the DEH file in the RAR? The TXT file says it's provided, but there's only an EXE.

I tried running it anyay, which Chocolate Doom 1.6 and Ultimate Doom 1.9 IWAD, but it just crashes very soon after start of E1M1, with this error:
R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 52 : 0

Yea, I forgot to include it, sorry.. Fixed, download archive again, it's there now..

Regarding Chocolate Doom: can't understand, why it doesn't work with modified .exe. I'm testing it with Doom in dosbox and everything works..

Well Chocolate Doom is a source port, so it doesn't use the EXE at all, since it's actually a drop-in replacement for the EXE. You just tell it what IWAD to use, which PWAD(s) to load, and yeah the DEH file too if there is one. And then it runs them, exactly as the original DOS doom.exe would have.

So anyway, this time it worked okay with the DEH file. I ran it like this:
chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -merge AA*.wad -deh AAdOBJ.DEH

The new/modified textures are cool.

I was confused about the barrels, because some explode and others just fall over and roll around, so I tended to avoid them whenever possible. I couldn't depend on them for either protection from monsters, or to use as explosive devices, so I just felt safer avoiding them. Maybe it would be more interesting if the two types of barrels had different graphics, so you can tell them apart?

The breakable crates are nice, but it would be cooler if they just fell apart into debris instead of exploding (I don't know if you can do this or are limited to hijacking barrel explosion frames). I ended up punching them to conserve ammo. It takes 4-5 punches though, maybe 3 would be enough?

The exploing/damaging technical columns confused me. I didn't get that one at all.

I liked the flying drones and stationary autocannons, but the later seemed a bit short, and they sound really puny (they do more damage than the sound would indicate). I had some trouble telling them apart from regular troopers in some cases.

I found the chaingun, plasma and yellow key, but didn't make it to the exit. Got shot down by some autocannons in a room on the South-West part of them map (probably close to the exit, since I explored everywhere else).

Anyway, cool project!

Edit: I just noticed the barrels are in fact different (the ones that explode have green nukage in them), so it just means you have to pay attention and slow down a bit.

hex11 said:

The breakable crates are nice, but it would be cooler if they just fell apart into debris instead of exploding (I don't know if you can do this or are limited to hijacking barrel explosion frames). I ended up punching them to conserve ammo. It takes 4-5 punches though, maybe 3 would be enough?

The exploing/damaging technical columns confused me. I didn't get that one at all.

I liked the flying drones and stationary autocannons, but the later seemed a bit short, and they sound really puny (they do more damage than the sound would indicate). I had some trouble telling them apart from regular troopers in some cases.

About sprites overall: that's the best I could do..

Crate: Yes, its healh should be reduced indeed.

Exploding techno pillar: it's intended to obstruct way to alternative paths or secrets (Wanna go thru there? Pay some ammo!). They should be placed in dark areas so that they would be difficult to distinguish from normal pillars. It's just an element of interactive environment, nothing more.

Autocannon does the same amount of damage as sound indicates, its attack is similar to zombies pistol shot. And it hits you much more often than drone.

For pure DEH work, this is pretty fucking cool.

The crates though, they managed to throw me; I didn't think to shoot any of them until 10 minutes into the map. Probably just me, and maybe I didn't read the instructions (shame on me), but I'm so used to ignoring anything that isn't an item/monster/barrel that it never actually crossed my mind.

But then through some happy accident, I saw what you'd done, and thought "oh... oh that's a good vanilla mod right there..."

Excellent work, really. What's in the crate? Ammo? Health? A key? Fuck all? Only one way to find out! I like this. Sadly it's not random (understandably so), but even in this primitive 'hide things under it' manner it's actually a pretty innovative feature of sorts. For a simple demo it's great stuff.

hex11 said:

^ first two chars of video name are X and D (they got stripped out by some filter)

Obviously some admin hates anime smileys enough to break links over them. XD

Try this: The Chaos Engine

Wraith777 said:

Colormap is modified, so that invulnerability vision is now different.

No COLORMAP in the tech demo, same old inverted grayscale invulnerability. What kind of effect are you looking for?

Urban Space Cowboy said:

No COLORMAP in the tech demo, same old inverted grayscale invulnerability. What kind of effect are you looking for?

I didn't said anything about including it in demo :).

marineController said:

I would like to try this but the download link doesn't work for me.

I can upload it again, just tell where?

Well, I hope all this adds some fun to gameplay. Aside from already shown objects, there will be a few new items.. and new bosses, of course.
But, the main thing here (like in any megawad) are the levels, I just need to find the time to start building...

Wraith777 said:

I didn't said anything about including it in demo :).

I can upload it again, just tell where?

Well, I hope all this adds some fun to gameplay. Aside from already shown objects, there will be a few new items.. and new bosses, of course.
But, the main thing here (like in any megawad) are the levels, I just need to find the time to start building...

Tested this out and had a lot of fun. The design kind of felt like bizarro Doom what with the textures but I liked it. I like the destructible crates and tech pillars. I don't know if I like the dud barrels yet; they slow down gameplay a bit, highlighting your changes making the environment more malleable, but I'd probably have to see more of them to figure out whether they're a detriment or supplement to the gameplay. In general, I loved the layout and map progression, and if it's getting pushed to something more non-linear and adventure-style then I'll adore it. The mechanical enemies felt a little too resilient either in HP or pain chance but that's probably a flavor decision I'll have to adjust to in the finished product. Overall, I want to see more!

Well.

I've decided that making map plans beforehand for ALL megawad is not so good idea and it's time to build levels (for E1, at least).

But first I need to revamp all recources, including .deh (curently it's a mess).

So, I want summarize all suggestions, complaints, requests and wishes about new THINGS shown in demo.

Now that resource pack is completed, I can finally start mapping.

If there will be something to show I'll do it instantly.

Now, here are some E1M1 screens

Fresh screenshots from E1M2

Textures used in E1 hint on wads name ;). I want to make maps look like something from alpha versions - mostly stone/metal/grey/tech, it's like E2 without hellish component.

Wraith777 said:

it's like E2 without hellish component.

Then what are you planning for later episodes? =)

Katamori said:

Then what are you planning for later episodes? =)

Well, I meant only E1.

Here are short descriptions of how do I imagine episodes :
E1 – an old base (as old as DooM alpha versions))). Mostly indoor maps; stone/grey/metal/tech textures.
E2 – ancient city. Indoor-outdoor maps; marble/stone/wood/skin/flesh textures (that's a hard part, I haven't done any of those before).
E3 – wasteland with abandoned colonist towns/outposts/buildings, slowly devoured by arriving hell.

I don't consider wood/marble/stone textures to be hellish in E2.

That sounds kinda good - and original! I expected not to use that typical techbase-hellbase style.

The last "Mayan" style map in Scythe 2 (probably MAP25) may be a good place to start finding out the structure of ancient city style.

Just wanted to show that there IS some progress here.

E1M3 is almost done

It was somewhat tough to build this using a scribble from Paint..
But I hope that from now on progress will go a little faster.