Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insanoflex312

[WIP]Hell Awakened 2 Episode 1 Beta v2 coming soon

Hello all, as you may know, Hell Awakened 2 is still being worked on. BUT, I've decided its going to be released in episodes, since its taking way longer to build. Episode One, levels 1-8, should be released by the end of next month once I finish the new enemy sprites.

To find out more about HA2, visit this thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/63013-wip-hell-awakened-2/

What you can look forward to: 5 new enemies in total, 2 new weapons, 3 episodes each containing a secret level, and two new bosses.
All of the levels from episode 1 are complete but two, only minor bug fixes are needed, and the sprites for the Corrupted enemies are being worked on.

edit: Unfortunately, I'm unable to finish the sprites for the Corrupted. If someone would like to help me out, I'd very much appreciate it, otherwise, they'll have to wait for episode 2.

See old thread for more. Also, I'm going to try and post updates weekly, so keep on eye out for screenshots of the Corrupted enemies.

Here's a screenshot of the secret level:

A few more screenshots of the other levels:

edit: Here's some screenshots of the new enemies:
Corrupted Chaingunner:

The D64 Painelemental:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

looks prety neat, albeit a bit squarish.

btw why post new thread if no dl or summat?

Neat. I was kind of ambivalent about the original Hell Awakened at first, but it eventually grew on me--I think you did a fine job of creating some surprisingly varied (and rather nasty) traps in a fairly simple architectural style. I still remember that darkened room with the forest of wooden pillars in 'Broken Villages', for example.

One vague concern I do have from what I've seen of HA2 (so, that's limited to just screenshots on DooMWorld, of course) is that it looks more flatly-lit (which may be partially just a consequence of them being GZDooM shots, granted). I understand that you were somewhat anxious about the aesthetics in the original WAD, but despite some of the squareish architecture I think you did achieve a palatable, coherent visual style, which I'd characterize as being defined by spacious rooms, detailing via prop object (impaled bodies, torches, etc.), and unashamed use of darkness and shadows. A lot of darkness in Doom maps is one of those things that many folks find irritating, but for my part, I usually welcome it--I think it adds a greater feeling of depth and location to many scenarios.

Anyway, my idle ruminations aside, I'm still pleased to see that HA2 is coming along, and I look forward to trying it out.

Yeah, I saw that went I was taking the screenies. I actually when through and add more contrast to the levels. Makes it so much better looking. Surprisingly, the levels themselves aren't really dark, or have really dark areas.
edit: Derp, I was at gamma correction 1.4 :P Going through the levels fixing the lighting...

Updated original post with beta info.

edit: Beta is now OPEN. See OP for the link! Enjoy and give feedback!

I found an bug in level 2:

Spoiler

If you're in the blue room, and you hit a switch, and then open the adjacent door, you'll hear a baron yell. The door in front of you will be slightly raised. Its supposed to be open, so you'll need to noclip through.

Progress Report:
E1L6 is about halfway done(map06 in the demo is now slotted for level 8) and I's say its coming along nicely. I've also started work on E1L7, too. For sprites, I've gotten finished with one whole frame for walking and all of the shooting frames for Corrupted Chaingunner. Finishing him up shouldn't take too long, and since the other two Corrupted enemies are based on him, they'll take even less time. I have a few sprites for the D64 PE, but they need to be touched up. He has significantly less sprites and frames than the Corrupted, so it won't take long at all to finish him up.

So anyway, hows beta-testing? Everything working right?

Wait, beta? :o How good attention I have.
Anyways, I downloaded it now, and I try write few comments when I get some things out of my way.

Ok, so level 7 is done and the I got finished with another frame for the chaingunner. I'll give some screenshots of E1L7 soon, but I humbly ask for feedback on the beta. How does it play? How does it look? How does it feel? Bugs? Nitpicks? Anything disappointing? Anything awesome? I really need some feedback to clear out bugs and flesh out the looks and gameplay. Anyway, I hope at least someone is enjoying it. Betas for E1L6 and E1L7 will be released pretty soon, maybe in a week, so look out for them.

Progress Report: The WAD is currently going through an extensive over-haul. It's garbage, and I frankly couldn't see it until few people gave me insight(thanks Fisk XD). I've re-designed levels 1-6, working on doing 7 and 8 now. I'm also changing the difficulty direction for the wad. The original HA.wad was brutally hard, but sloggish and boring. This one was the same way, but, I understand this now, and I plan on re-balancing the levels so they are hard so the sake of being fun. I'm not a good enough mapper for brutal but fun gameplay anyway. Expect HA2EP1 to be hard, but not nearly as hard as the first 2 iterations. I'm not sure when I can release a second beta, so, yeah. Stay tuned and please give the third iteration a try especially if you hated the beta.

Progress Report: I've finished updating and balancing the maps, but unfortunately, I will probably not be able to finish the Corrupted enemies. They'll will be in episode 2. I'll work on them when I get the chance, but in the meantime, I can touch up the remaining bits of episode 1, release a new beta, then upload the final release if the beta goes smoothly. Beta Release date is: 9/20/13 or sooner.