Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Plut

Why there's no (or almost no) speedrunning clans?

I noticed that there's no any clans in which main subject of this clan would be speedrunning. I consider this thing pretty strange. What you think about it, guys?

Probably the same reasons there's no mapping clans: small community + predominantly solo venture. That's my random guess, anyway.

Maybe because there is generally almost no speedrunning happenning at all?

Phml said:

there's no mapping clans

There's russian [B0S] Clan (but it's activity is stopped for the time being).

There were a few mapping clans on Zandrobum and there used to be a few on Skull tag when I started back in 08. Never seen many speed running clans though. I'd love to be in one though. Collaborating on maps and TAS runs along with competing with other clans.

Start one!

I'm no speedrunner but would such a clan have any use for a mapper? Make sure you pick a cool name too

Do speedrunning "clans" exist in any game community? Sure, there are plenty of group projects like the "Done Quick" series but I don't think those guys all cram the same bracketed initials into their online aliases.

Even within Doom there was the Czech Wild Warriors. I don't know if speedrunning or multiplayer was their focus, but I know several skilled speedrunners were members.

Edit: There was also a demo pack making team who did stuff like the 2002 a Doom Odyssey Pack, I can't recall their name though...

It might also be tricky for rival speed running clans to have a sort of competition akin to actual multiplayer clan wars.

im imagining a neutral party would create a new wad and a clan could call them out for an fda battle, 3v3, average out each teams time to complete the level, including deaths. shortest time wins?

edit: even then a team could play dirty and look at the levels in an editor first. Maybe a neutral party could simply pick a random level from a list of compet-n eligible classic wads and the teams could have a set date to compete and submit a demo in a certain range of time, like 12 hours or so. The teams dont know what map until the clock starts. Or the teams could simply agree on a map to compete on.

i dunno what other competitions you could have

40oz said:

It might also be tricky for rival speed running clans to have a sort of competition akin to actual multiplayer clan wars.

im imagining a neutral party would create a new wad and a clan could call them out for an fda battle, 3v3, average out each teams time to complete the level, including deaths. shortest time wins?

I like this idea. I think it would be nice if speedrunning clans produced TAS runs together or something, for example; that group TAS run for PRCP. I don't think the competition is the lacking fragment of this as people come up with all kinds of game modes etc. I think the thing that lacks is interest in creating clans for the purpose of speedrunning which is a shame, this is my two pence worth however.

And I always thought clans in videogame communities in general were one of the stupidest things ever. D:

I wish we still did have mapping clans or teams like TNT and TiC. These days half a dozen like minded people working on a regular basis together would produce nice results.

Id kill to have a mapping team but theyd need to have the same (and seemingly bizarre) mapping ideals as I do, including levels designed so that they play just as well in multiplayer modes as single player, have high contrasting skill levels without making nightmare impossible, and are catered to various common doom playing styles.

id like to just go ahead and do it but I think id need to release uac ultra 2 first as a proof of concept.

NoobBait said:

Even within Doom there was the Czech Wild Warriors. I don't know if speedrunning or multiplayer was their focus, ...

Their focus were duels, CTF and beer.

They're not active anymore (homepage 4 years without updates), unless hidden on some IRC I'm not aware about.

40oz said:

edit: even then a team could play dirty and look at the levels in an editor first. Maybe a neutral party could simply pick a random level from a list of compet-n eligible classic wads and the teams could have a set date to compete and submit a demo in a certain range of time, like 12 hours or so. The teams dont know what map until the clock starts. Or the teams could simply agree on a map to compete on.

Something like Unreal Tournament's "Assault" mode?

Yeah, I think that could be very fun, just gotta get things organized and round up some volunteers. Should I be the one to make a thread? Hows this look?

7 mappers
3 testers
1 wad compiler
2 captains
6 speed runners

Mappers volunteer for a speedmapping session, each make one map and submit to the wad compiler (which I guess would be me). Wad compiler sends the wads to the testers, who check the maps to see if they have exits, are beatable, and are otherwise compatible with the competition requirements. Doomers post volunteering to be a part of the speed runner pool. Captains I guess are appointed by me or are just who ever volunteers first. Captains post one after the other, selecting from the speed runner pool one at a time, one per post to assemble their teams. Once the wad is tested and is compiled, the finished wad is posted and the clock starts. Speedrunners and captains have 6 hours (or so) to record demos of themselves playing each map from a pistol start. When the time's up, demos are submitted to the wad compiler and testers for reviewing. For each map, the times for the members of each team are added up and divided by 4. The team with the shorter average time per map wins that map. Best 4 out of 7 maps wins the competition!

edit: an alternate version (if i'm feeling lazy) would be for the wad compiler to select a megawad or short episode, and hand pick or pick randomly an odd number of maps, and then announce the maplist whenever, and the clock would start then. This would eliminate the need for mappers of course.

The rules could be a little more refined but that's the gist of it I think. This kinda competition in the speedrunning world could be the drive needed for the formation of teams ya think?