Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Mortal Kombat 9 on PC!

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already so I decided to start one.

Mortal Kombat 9, the latest fighter in the infamous series has just been ported to PC by High Voltage Software. It is available on Steam for 30$ with all the DLC included, minus Kratos.

As for the port itself, the framerate is silky smooth 100% of the times and despite it being a console port, it looks really good, probably because of the extra AA options. I've been playing this non-stop for a day and very few issues have popped up.

The only thing that bugs me is that the prerendered cutscenes are low res and have low quality sound. In case of the resolution, I understand as it was probably made only with 720p in mind but the sound is distracting at time. Other than that, all is great!

Now that we have it on PC, you can expect tons of mods for the game ranging from characters, graphical improvements and skins. I really hope someone will make the Doomguy and Duke Nukem for MK one day.

If you wanna play a few matches, add cyberdemon_1542 to your friends list.

Mortal Kombat 9 now $5 on PS3 :-) for Playstation Plus. I bought it. I started playing the story and wow they have Johnny Cage and Sonya in some really unrealistic attire for people that would be at an island stronghold. Are having your tits out standard issue special forces gear? Johnny just looks strange wearing a powder blue suit on a dark and mysterious island, but I guess that's the point, he's meant to stand out from the other characters.

Great, my computer is fucked and I can't play a game I've been waiting two years to play. -_-

It'll be here waiting once its done getting fucked :-)

Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep. Sweep.

Look, I just summarized Mortal Kombat!

Jodwin said:

Actually, it's sweep, block, jump, uppercut, sweep, jump kick, jump kick, uppercut. Rinse and repeat, end of match :P

Some characters don't sweep. I tend to just be doing special moves.

Jodwin said:

Hissssssssssssssssssssssss

geo said:

Mortal Kombat 9 now $5 on PS3 :-) for Playstation Plus. I bought it. I started playing the story and wow they have Johnny Cage and Sonya in some really unrealistic attire for people that would be at an island stronghold. Are having your tits out standard issue special forces gear? Johnny just looks strange wearing a powder blue suit on a dark and mysterious island, but I guess that's the point, he's meant to stand out from the other characters.

The cleavage is the source of all of her powers.

I think they did Cage pitch-perfectly for the story. Actually, the whole campaign is just wonderful. Reminds me of the first movie. Campy to the max and I loved it.

Also, the fighting is solid. I purchased it when it first came out, and I still play it with friends. Good times. Especially playing co-op against the computer with two player tagging on. :)

kristus said:

The cleavage is the source of all of her powers.

Yeah something has to be. Most of the characters just use magic. Anybody ever wonder why with zombies you need to kill the brain? What if its magic reanimating bodies and disabling the brain does nothing?

Anyway, I'll play the story when I have more time. I'm always really interested in Mortal Kombat mythos and I've always bought MKs, no matter what terrible platform they're on.

Playing the storuy mode is pretty bullshit though. Since they keep changing the fighter they also constantly change the rules/controls. Meaning you have to rely on base movements for the most part as you won't be able to relearn all the combos and specials for each character.

Also, I am using an X-box controller to play and it's pretty awful. Not because of the game though, but because of the control is such a piece of shit. It's pretty much brand new and still got some serious precision issues both with the stick and the D-pad. Press left on the dpad and the guy makes a jump too. thinkiing that maybe I should play on keyboard instead since that is allowing me more precision.

kristus said:

Also, I am using an X-box controller to play and it's pretty awful. Not because of the game though, but because of the control is such a piece of shit. It's pretty much brand new and still got some serious precision issues both with the stick and the D-pad. Press left on the dpad and the guy makes a jump too. thinkiing that maybe I should play on keyboard instead since that is allowing me more precision.

Well, pads are generally speaking terrible for fighting games anyway. Keyboards are far superior both accuracy and speed wise assuming you can get key bindings that don't cause ghosting.

It's mildly interesting that it's commonly considered very bad design for a platformer to use up for jump on a pad, but it's just fine for fighting games. ;)

Last fighting game I played was Tekken Tag on PS2 so I'm certainly not an experienced Fighting game player. But all the pros tend to play on those arcade inspired controllers. Which I never really understood, cause I don't feel like there's any reason for the analogue stick in a fighting game. But I may be mistaken.

Anyway, I might give the keyboard a chance when I play again. It's certainly a lot better quality than the X-box controller.

kristus said:

Playing the storuy mode is pretty bullshit though. Since they keep changing the fighter they also constantly change the rules/controls. Meaning you have to rely on base movements for the most part as you won't be able to relearn all the combos and specials for each character.

I like the PS3 D-pad. Instead of half circle which takes time, just down and back or down and forward. Its so easy to perform fatalities quickly and accurately.

kristus said:

Last fighting game I played was Tekken Tag on PS2 so I'm certainly not an experienced Fighting game player. But all the pros tend to play on those arcade inspired controllers. Which I never really understood, cause I don't feel like there's any reason for the analogue stick in a fighting game. But I may be mistaken.

Anyway, I might give the keyboard a chance when I play again. It's certainly a lot better quality than the X-box controller.

You can get a ps2 usb connector for pc and a ps2 controller for dirt cheap. I have been using one for awhile and have not had any issues. There are also connectors for SNES controllers.I'm thinking of getting one to use for games that would be better to play with a D-pad. IMO SNES controllers have one of if not the best d-pad ever made.

kristus said:

But all the pros tend to play on those arcade inspired controllers. Which I never really understood, cause I don't feel like there's any reason for the analogue stick in a fighting game. But I may be mistaken.

Well, there's a couple of reasons. Fighting sticks can give you the best precision and execution speed for moves since you're using either your entire arm or your wrist for movement, and you can use multiple fingers on the attack buttons that are laid out in a convenient fashion. On the contrast, on pads you can only use two thumbs unless the game also uses shoulder buttons - which in turn leads into a fairly awkward button layout. And on a keyboard you're constrained by technical limitations and a more cramped button layout. Plus with keyboards in particular the way each game buffers inputs can have a huge impact on how easy it is to execute different kinds of moves.

Of course it's not like having a particular kind of a controller immediately makes you a better player. With fighting sticks in particular it can take a while to get used to using more than just your fingers for player movement.

Satyr000 said:

You can get a ps2 usb connector for pc and a ps2 controller for dirt cheap. I have been using one for awhile and have not had any issues. There are also connectors for SNES controllers.I'm thinking of getting one to use for games that would be better to play with a D-pad. IMO SNES controllers have one of if not the best d-pad ever made.

You can do that? I need to try it! I've been using an old Nostromo controller. They were awesome, but then a software update fucked it up where I need to assign keys to the controls. Difficult to explain, but I'll spend 15 - 30 minute setting up a controller profile outside the game for it.

schwerpunk said:

I think they did Cage pitch-perfectly for the story. Actually, the whole campaign is just wonderful. Reminds me of the first movie. Campy to the max and I loved it.

Also, the fighting is solid. I purchased it when it first came out, and I still play it with friends. Good times. Especially playing co-op against the computer with two player tagging on. :)

I think the story in MK9 is so "good" because it is bite-sized, provides context for the ladder mode (why is Raiden fighting Liu Kang or Jax vs. J.Cage?) and most importantly because it knows its place. I think NetherRealm is very conscious of the fact that although their story characters are interesting, they are nothing special so they make a standard story that is FITTING of the game, without trying any pointless internal conflicts. You know exactly what the story and characters are all about and that's just fine, they're no more, no less than they're supposed to be. It takes a lot humility from a company to realize this and I salute NRS for taking the right decisions with the story and characters.

As for the game itself, I REALLY like all those little details that add so much when you look at the whole. From the damage states of characters, the clever use of 2D art and semi 2D art to make backgrounds that are still very cool looking but allows cramming all the detail you want in the characters, how tons of animations are just like MK3 but the how flawless the transition from 2D and 3D is, the X-Rays, Fatalities, and most importantly, how it preserves the tradition of MK, ranging from visuals, moves and gameplay. I think so far it is the best modern remake of a classic game we have so far.

Jodwin said:

Of course it's not like having a particular kind of a controller immediately makes you a better player. With fighting sticks in particular it can take a while to get used to using more than just your fingers for player movement.

Well. the way you describe it makes it make sense to me since it reminds me of how I control myself in Quake. Using the arm to control the mouse and got the other hand on a spread of buttons for everything else.

I have the game for the 360 and the 360 controller works fine enough for me. At least, I don't really have any issues with pulling off special moves for characters I know and whatnot. My one complaint is that, while I love the story mode, it's incredibly frustrating how just as you're getting the hang of a character's play style, suddenly the game changes and you have to learn a new character. I guess I see the point, both for the sake of the story and to encourage players to try different characters, but I find myself getting stuck every time I have to play a different character.

Clonehunter said:

This is has to be the first MK PC release since MK4. Definitely need to check this out.

I think I owned MK4 for PC along with MK2. The MK4 on PC was so easy. I used to only need a keyboard. Right hand on arrow keys and left hand with asdfg for punch, punch, low kick, high kick and run. Very easy controls. Just like typing a combo.

I'm playing the story now. Everything is really blured together at the current moment as 1 tournament instead of the first, then second, then third. That could all change.

Also Sektor is human in this. He was always a robot, Cyrax was the one converted. I also swear I saw Noob or Smoke in the background of one of the cut scenes I think when you first start playing Scorpion. I mean in the background just hanging out. Some black ninja. maybe I was seeing things. Maybe its some other random wraith.

Sonya kicks a god's ass. Johnny says he's a god, no mention of being blown away that wow I just kicked a god's ass. But oh well. No time for astonishment, gotta keep the fights coming :-) I pick on it, but I still enjoy it.

Watching these cut scenes I just start thinking of the logistics of things. Such as Baraka's teeth. His mouth is basically always open with only his teeth blocking the passage to his mouth. He must get a lot of dust and sand in there. Is he like a clam where it builds up in his mouth and makes a pearl? MK has mocap technology and even facial mocap from quite some time ago, yet the faces on these characters do nothing but blink. There's no emotion. Especially with Sonya, she seems to be the one to feel both anger and sympathy. They can animate so much in the body, but not the face. Johnny Cage has a bigass tattoo of JOHNNY across his chest. That must be interesting when it comes time to make movies. Do kung fu movies not get bare chested? is his name Johnny in all of those movies? Does he not sweat for makeup to cover the ghetto letters? :-) I know its not to be taken seriously, but this is comedy gold. And its still much better than the text story training missions that Deadly Alliance had.

Is it me or does playing Scorpion and Cyrax back to back reveal how similar they are yet Cyrax is the weaker of the two? Cyrax has a net, that doesn't drag the opponent toward you, nor does it do much damage. He has a teleport that doesn't have a punch included. Cyrax has bombs, which enemies walk away from, while Scorpion's hell fire instantly affects someone on the ground.

Jodwin said:

I would kick your ass in Mortal Kombat.

Kontra Kommando said:

I would kick your ass in Mortal Kombat.

You wouldn't stand a chance in a real fighting game that actually requires effort, like Melty Blood AA.

Jodwin said:

You wouldn't stand a chance in a real fighting game that actually requires effort, like Melty Blood AA.

Ah, the old no true fighting game scotsman argument. It didn't even take until the second page this time.

Not sure how serious you are, but MK is a 'real' fighting game because you fight people. Sure, it isn't as complex as some of the more competitive fighters out there, but saying it isn't a fighting game is like saying COD isn't an FPS because it isn't as complex as Deus Ex.

I know it's purely semantical, but you really oughtn't deny a game a position in a genre just because you prefer other types of games within that genre.

P.S. apologies if you were joshing and it wooshed right over my head :/

Jodwin said:

How does that make sense though? You would win in a game that requires effort, but you would lose in a game that doesn't?