Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Smart Phones

So I finally got enough money to jump on the Smart Phone band wagon. Went to Wal-Mart and bought me a LG Optimus Q (spent like $130 on it). Got a StraightTalk plan (Unlimited everything INCLUDING Data). Bad thing is..it's only 3G but hey you have Unlimited data so it kind of balances it out.

One day after buying the phone I did what most tech savvy people do who doesn't give a shit about voiding a warranty. I rooted my phone and installed a Custom OS on it (AreaRom). I installed a Overclocked Kernal (The phone ran at 800 mhz stock and I boosted it up to 876. I could of increased it to well over 900 mhz but I was afraid the phone would of heat issues. It runs great without any heat issues. Since my phone is rooted there is all kinds of awesome shit I can do with it.

So I am going to make a list of some of the useful apps I have on my phone (Root apps and Non-Rooted apps). What kind of phone do you use? What are your favorite apps?

• Avast
  • Titanium Backup (Root)
  • Super GNeS
  • SMS Bomber
  • Anti-SMS Bomber
  • Real Doom
  • Overclock Widget (Root)
  • Missed Call/SMS Alert (My phone has trouble notifying me of txts with out this
  • MegaCloud
  • Dragon Ball Naruto Bleach Tube
  • Lucky Pathcer (Root)
  • Life Reminders
  • SMS Scheduler
  • KiK Messenger
  • Chrono Trigger
  • File Manager
  • Final Fantasy 3
  • Easy Mp3 Downloader
  • UTorrent
  • DamnLOL
  • CleanMaster
  • Chess
  • Checkers
  • Bluetooth File Transfer
  • Angry Birds
  • Logo Quiz
  • 100 Doors
  • AdAway (Root)
  • AirDroid
  • ADWLauncher
  • ClockWorkMod

I have another program that is my absoulte favorite. It's called Link2SD it tricks the phone into thinking that the SD card is part of the internal storage. You make a partition on an SDCard (EXT4) and you can link it to the phone. Bad thing is you can NEVER take your SD chip out or the phone with go bonkers. That's why AirDroid is
useful (A GUI interface where you can browse your phone).

Belial said:

That's some addictive shit right there.

Yep in occurs to me sometimes. I have both original and World Tour Version.

Original: Level 141
World Tour: All level 111 of China(100% prizes), Japan and Europe.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. If you have an android based Smart Phone you need to check out the Live Doom Wallpaper someone made. It's the Doomguy killing random monsters as a background. It is fucking awesome. Sometimes I just sit back and watch the Doomguy do his thing. You can tap the screen to drop him weapons. You can give him God Mode (Which I have enabled. You can customize it some (Change the amount of monsters on the screen..custom backgrounds if you wanted). There are a few features I wished it had but it's still awesome. I haven't seen a SSG..an Arch-Vile (No Doom2 weapon or monsters) but hey it's a Free Doom Wallpaper. I think it would be cool if you could switch to First Person..

Edit: Here's a link to it on the Google Play Store. Even if you don't have a Smart Phone..check it out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamesmgittins.livewallpaper.doom&hl=en

Nems said:

A smartphone without Stair Dismount installed on it is like a day without sunshine.

http://www.stairdismount.com/

Apologies in advance if your phone isn't able to download/install it for whatever reason. :o

I just tried to download it but it is not compatible with my phone :(.

exp(x) said:

My must-have app is freecell (http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kmagic.solitaire).

Also, that live wallpaper is dumb.

Awesome! Solitare is always fun thank you. And personally like the Wallpaper a lot but everyone has their own opinions.

Bumping because I finally joined the 21st century and got an HTC One SV. It's got a dual-core chip and 1GB of RAM so it can handle most of the newer stuff. It came with a bunch of preloaded crap and I'm debating whether it's worth fiddling with the machine to get rid of them. Now I just need some suggestions on what the best (free) apps are. I'm looking for...

Board games
Office programs
Emulators
Music/art production
Dungeon crawlers

Any ideas?

I had a Blackberry once. Got it for dirt cheap from my friend who got a nicer one from his workplace. It was ok and I was able to mod it in strange ways, but it was also terribly unreliable.

I currently have an iPhone 3GS. The same friend gave it to me when he upgraded to an iPhone 4. I like it, but I don't use a data plan, and it's not as fast as a newer phone. I had it jailbroken for a couple years. That was convenient because I was able to install a flashlight app banned by Apple (apparently changing the screen brightness is bad, even for a flashlight app). I had DOSbox and Windows 2.0 installed on there for a while just to shock people too.

Sadly my eyes are getting worse and if I get another smartphone I'll need to think about getting something huge like a Galaxy Note.

Btw for iPhone users, Apple made 5 apps and 5 games free today for the fifth anniversary of the App Store. They may not be things you like, but it's worth a look if you're the sort who refrains from spending money on those things.

I have a smart phone.

The only thing I use it for is sending and reading emails when I'm on a train.

Jodwin said:

I have a smart phone.

The only thing I use it for is sending and reading emails when I'm on a train.

Sure, why not? I imagine getting banged by twenty dudes can get quite tedious so you may as well do some correspondence.

Smartphones are an interesting novelty for a couple of weeks. After that they become just phones, with annoying touchscreen interfaces which fuck up your spelling in SMSes.

I own one, Sony Xperia U, mostly for messaging though. I wanna see how long it lasts for, hopefully for a long time though.

I wonder why lots of people my age used to love Blackberries so much in the past in London, despite most people who I know, have the knowledge of how easy they break down. But I guess when it does happen I mostly hear them say they just dropped them. Other times they say they just 'break down', so I guess I was just afraid of wasting my money on new phones back then just to avoid frustration.

Bucket said:

Sure, why not? I imagine getting banged by twenty dudes can get quite tedious so you may as well do some correspondence.

:P

To be fair, I only have the phone as an extra benefit from work. I much rather prefer using a normal phone to...I don't know...make phone calls, so the only use for the smart phone for me is when I'm on a business trip and unable to use an actual computer.

I like my smart phone, and I like to use it in dull situations. Two of my friends complained that I used it too much, and I replied, "well maybe you motherfuckers are just that boring to hang out with."

I want phones to be smarter, and I also want robot slaves.

I have a sony xperia U.
I like to play "tap tap".
And listen to music. (rock\metal\dubstep\power)

exp(x) said:

Google Drive (formerly Docs)

That was a no-brainer, but I didn't have an app to open docs with. We'll see if IBM Symphony does the trick. I also may check out Nethack and perhaps whatever the highest-rated Chess app is.