Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LodiB88

Other old-school FPS games you've played and love

Basically what the title says. When I say old-school I simply mean the gameplay style has to at least mostly be of the 'if it moves, shoot it' variety and generally not heavily plot driven. Not much else in the way of rules, so just about anything to fall into that category is fair game to mention. Some of mine:

Wolfenstein 3D/Spear
DN3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Quake I
Serious Sam FE and SE (originals, non-HD)

Always been a fan of the mostly-obscure Russian FPS, Z.A.R. Always wondered where I could find a copy of the (apparently ludicrously rare) US English release.

Graf Zahl said:

Redneck Rampage

For me still the game with the best levels ever made.

this is something i cannot agree with no matter how i look at it. i actually think it's the poorest early build game. this is exactly how i remember the game - hallways made of bushes. i also dislike the weaponset. where duke and doom are badass, shadow warrior is stylishly over the top and blood is grotesque, redneck rampage is just forcibly goofy and it doesn't work for me.

the only fps that rivals doom for me is dark forces, but that's probably too plot-oriented for this thread.

Did you ever go past the first level, dew? :)

I finally played through RR properly a year or two ago and think it's great and some of the levels are pretty epic.

Wolfenstein 3D
Quake
Descent
Heretic
Chex Quest
A little bit of Duke 3D
A little bit of ROTT
Does Half-Life 1 count? ^^'

Yeah that's it sadly. And I haven't even beaten any of those. DX

I will say that I will try and grab the shareware episode of Blood and give it a go sometime. I'll also try to sit down and actually complete the first episode of both Heretic and Quake, and hopefully complete the rest of those games respectively.

Shadow Warrior
Blood
Doom 64
Duke Caribbean
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight
Quake II & mission packs
Quake I mission packs
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Half Life Opposing Force

Wolfenstein 3D / Spear Of Destiny
Blake Stone
Corridor 7 (yes!)
Heretic
Duke Nukem 3D
Marathon
Dark Forces

I once paid $20 + tax for a big cardboard box that had "Redneck Rampage" and a bunch of campy pictures all over it. It turned out to be nothing but a five-level demo. I've held a grudge against the game ever since that day.

dew said:

this is something i cannot agree with no matter how i look at it. i actually think it's the poorest early build game. this is exactly how i remember the game - hallways made of bushes.

Sewers, Smelting Plant, Uranium Mines, Nut House, Grimley's Mortuary etc. etc.

You really need to take another look.

Wrath of Earth, 1995.

Basically, A Wolfenstein 3D-type shooter (no height variation), with quite good set of gimmicks (radiation, temperature, rechargeable shields and damaged equipment as a small list.) Didn't sold well, though.

Quake (and Quakeworld). Best multi player of all time. You can find me at quake.xs4all.nl:27500

nick: aerosol

Maybe not old enough, but played Area 51 a while back, its pretty old now, but it was pretty cool to play, some nice interesting ideas and game play flowed well....everything just seemed to work nicely, I enjoyed it.

Exhumed/Powerslave on the PlayStation and Sega Saturn; not the DOS version though.

The former two were like 'remixes' of each other (Saturn one came first) and it was totally worth owning and playing both. It preceded Metroid Prime by a fair few years and did a lot of what it did, and was an enjoyable romp. As I remember, the PlayStation version was probably better-structured but the Saturn version was more fun (as it was possible to rocket jump with the Amun Mine, meaning all kinds of crazy sequence-breaking was possible).

The DOS version was, famously, using an unfinished version of the BUILD engine so even though it's pretty in places, it's a turd to play; forget about using the strafe keys.

But damn, I wish someone would make a source port that runs it.

scalliano said:

Zero Tolerance

I love this game. Even nowadays; I blasted through it recently on PSP Picodrive. It was like Wolfenstein with jumping/crouching, security cameras, night-vision, flashlight, fire extinguisher and other cool touches (LIKE A SNIPER ON A SKYSCRAPER OPPOSITE!). This was a triumph, an unsung 16-bit hero.

-Quake 1/2/3
-Heretic
-Soldier Of Fortune 1
-System Shock 1&2
-Deus Ex 1
-Serious Sam 1st and 2nd Encounter
-Blood 1 with Plasma Pack
-Half Life 1
-Unreal 1 + Addon
-Unreal Tournament 1999
-DN3D
-NOLF 1

EDIT: Sorry, Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 1&2
aren't oldschool-shooters ;-)

unidenti7ied said:

-Quake 1/2/3
-Heretic
-Soldier Of Fortune 1
-System Shock 1&2
-Deus Ex 1
-Serious Sam 1st and 2nd Encounter
-Blood 1 with Plasma Pack
-Half Life 1
-Unreal 1 + Addon
-Unreal Tournament 1999
-DN3D
-NOLF 1

EDIT: Sorry, Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 1&2
aren't oldschool-shooters ;-)

Wow unidenti7ed, that list pretty much would be very similar to mine, even down to NOLF 1! However, not played System Shock 1, but did start the first level a while back and DN3D, never owned, but 'think' I played it once or twice somewere? Love you got the Unreal Addon there, that was a fun expansion!

Descent II.

Although I've never completed the game... it's pretty cool, but usually after playing maybe half of it, it starts to feel a bit too complex and I want to play something simpler. Great music in the cd too.

Bodycount

No no, only kidding. As much as I played it I don't think I could EVER love that game :P

PLayed AND Loved? That extends as such:

- Heretic
- Hexen
- DN3D
- Terminal Velocity
- Wolf3D
- Blood
- Shadow Warrior
- Half-Life
- Quake 1/2/3 (plus Q1&Q2 Mission packs)
- ROTT
- Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (so much fun just messing around in this with force abilities and secrets)
- Unreal Tournament
- Tribes II (if it counts)
Not to mention a few fav's from the N64

- Goldeneye64
- Turok Rage Wars
- Perfect Dark
- Doom 64 (had to include it :P )

Not sure if it qualifies, but Battletanx was fun as hell if you had friends to play with. Turok Rage wars has several innovative weapons that I still find cool to this day. I mean, why cant other games have a Chest Burster for a weapon? :P

EDIT: I alos had a fondness for an FPS that was also a teaching program, called Chill Manor. I need to see if I can find it somewhere....

I don't think Blood gets nearly the amount of kudos it deserves. For the time it was one of the most creative FPS games out there.

YOU DIRTY DEMONIC BUNCH OF TRAITORS!!! HOW DARE YOU PLAY AND LOVE ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR MASTER, DOOM??

Other than Doom, I only ever felt love for Battlefield 1942 and Postal 2.

Maes said:

YOU DIRTY DEMONIC BUNCH OF TRAITORS!!! HOW DARE YOU PLAY AND LOVE ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR MASTER, DOOM??

I have sinned...

Must get back to Dooming!

Heretic
Duke Nukem 3D
shadow warrior
descent
half-life
quake 1 and mission packs
quake 2
dark forces
wolf3d and spear of destiny

Techmo's Deception was a pretty cool FPS/RPG. In the game, you have been resurrected by Satan to be a care-taker of a manor that you can expand upon. Different people are compelled to wander into the house, to be preyed upon. You need to set traps, or use magic to kill them, and steal their souls. I picked it up a long time ago when I saw that it had an "Occult" warning label on it. There were some squeals, but they were in third-person, and were not satanic to my understanding.

Alien Trilogy was also very good... and very hard to beat.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was a favorite of mine back in the day. It brings back memories from that time, like middle-school, WCW/WWF, and such.