Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Aww fuck...Trent's at it again

E3 has hit this year, and Gamespy is the first to confirm that Trent has been involved with creating sounds and music for the upcoming first person shooter Doom 3.

There's been quite a bit of speculation about the sound design for DOOM III, in particular if a certain musician of Nine Inch Nails fame will be involved. While an agreement has yet to be worked out for the full game, it can be told that Trent Reznor did all of the sound effects for id's E3 presentation. As mentioned, DOOM III will support Dolby 5.1 surround sound, and if you're able, seeing - and hearing - the presentation at full volume is an experience unto itself. As Reznor was quoted, "we want to get inside your head and make it an unpleasant place to be."

/me weeps.

But really, he has so much money right now that it would be hard for him to botch the sound and music. Seeing as how almost none of the money he made from Downward Spiral went into the Fragile, and the Fragile also generated millions, he's gotta have like an entire room full of $100 bills he could use on the soundtrack. Hell he might even be able to afford himself an engineer so his stuff doesn't sound like it was done on $20 equipment from the local RadioShack.

Lüt said:

/me weeps.

[/b]

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news...

Hell he might even be able to afford himself an engineer so his stuff doesn't sound like it was done on $20 equipment from the local RadioShack.

leave Radio Shack alone!

Hm, there's some music in that Doom 3: The Legacy" movie.
Some of it sounds like it could've been done by Trent Reznor. At least that music sounds better than Quake1's (has cooler sounds), but it's still just seems like some ambient sounds throwtogether, gah.

Well, as long as the sounds don't sound like crappy midi quality sounds, I might be able to accept it.
/Me buries himself alive

Remember that DOOM3 has editing possibilities. Let's bring the community together and create a kick-ass unofficial DOOM3 music replacement pack once the game's out :)

Fredrik said:

Let's bring the community together and create a kick-ass unofficial DOOM3 music replacement pack once the game's out :)

Heh, I'm up for that =)

I'd hope the soundtrack would be more interactive though, I'd have the best time working with something that isn't just one repeating background track.

i like the music for final doom playstation(organs and screaming), its really creepy and fits it WELL. I also recomend listening to type 0 negatives version of BLACK SABBATH it is the most fitting music for doom i have ever heard, i recomend it very much!!!!! its nothing like black sabbath's version its all dark with organs and creepy sounds.

Hm, the music in the Doom 3: The legacy movie isn't really so bad - I could live with it (even enjoy it) if the rest of Doom 3's soundtracks has such cool sounds mixed into it.

Wylde said:

I also recomend listening to type 0 negatives version of BLACK SABBATH it is the most fitting music for doom i have ever heard, i recomend it very much!!!!!

Heh man you need to get some soundtracks, try Event Horizon first.

Fredrik said:

I want to make the DOOM3 music. You know it would be good.

Yeah... provided Doom3 features a bunch of clowns with dildos strapped to their heads as the common enemies.

Fredrik said:

Bah. You haven't heard any of my real music :P

Neither have I - release some MP3s we can listen to :-P

dsm said:

Neither have I - release some MP3s we can listen to :-P

No. Not now. But I can get you some MIDIs if you get on IRC :P

Fredrik said:

I want to make the DOOM3 music. You know it would be good.

YES! You really ought to contribute cirka.mid to iD. It suits the atmosphere PERFECT.!

Fredrik said:

No. Not now. But I can get you some MIDIs if you get on IRC :P

I'll get on IRC (#doomino) later this evening, I'll be seeing you.

dsm said:

Hm, the music in the Doom 3: The legacy movie isn't really so bad - I could live with it (even enjoy it) if the rest of Doom 3's soundtracks has such cool sounds mixed into it.

see, we can get along with trent :)
He's not so bad...

Only that it wasn't composed by Trent, according to a Fountainhead guy. The ambient sounds and the fx were his work, though.

EDIT : I'm talking about the part with beat, after the sepia, ruined demo of Doom Shareware. The audio that comes before that, right at the beginning, is from Trent. Kinda like a sample for id to judge before making it official.

Lüt said:

Hell he might even be able to afford himself an engineer so his stuff doesn't sound like it was done on $20 equipment from the local RadioShack.

Jesus H. Lüt, he may not be my favorite in the world, but he's not THAT bad.

Besides, maybe it didn't occur to you that the reason he doesn't want to pay someone to produce the stuff is because he wants it to sound the way HE wants to, not the way some jackass wants it.

No, I am in now way a NIN fan, but still, come on....

i though the music from American McGee's Alice was great!

I'm sure the music will kick ass. I mean, Reznor did an okay job with Quake (actualy it fits the game pretty damn well), and he's more or less out of his whole depression thing now. Not to meantion that it will probably be a lot more upbeat than Quake just because it's Doom.

I for one am a great fan of NiN, and i have nearly every song they've ever written.. Now that being said.. i believe that Trent's music has no place in doom. In my opinion, and yes this is only my opinion, it may ruin Doom's atmosphere. Doom's music wasn't about hardcore, heavy-metal.. but rather spooky music and ocassionaly the rock-beat song slapped in there (e1m1 for example). I believe trents songs are going to degrade my overall impression of doom3 significantly.. as music in any game plays a major role of how i judge it. Doom needs a spooky, scary atmosphere that i believe Trent just cannot provide.. and if he can, it will be, in my opinion, sub-par to any full piece orchastra that could have done doom3's music.
Sigh...

No it's not the most hardcore but yes, it is hardcore for doom type music.

God i know there's plenty of other way harder bands, Fear Factory, Cradle of Filth, Pissing Razers, Mudvayne, vision of disoder, rammstein etc.. that's not what i meant..

Weedster said:

Jesus H. Lüt, he may not be my favorite in the world, but he's not THAT bad.

No not everything, but a lot of it is, especially TDS.

Now obviously it's not so bad after it's been through a mastering studio and all the mucky tones an shit were removed, but you can still tell how awful the original recording was, mastered or not.

Weedster said:

Besides, maybe it didn't occur to you that the reason he doesn't want to pay someone to produce the stuff is because he wants it to sound the way HE wants to, not the way some jackass wants it.

Yeah he's stubborn like that, oh well.

Zaldron said:

Only that it wasn't composed by Trent, according to a Fountainhead guy. The ambient sounds and the fx were his work, though.

EDIT : I'm talking about the part with beat, after the sepia, ruined demo of Doom Shareware. The audio that comes before that, right at the beginning, is from Trent. Kinda like a sample for id to judge before making it official.

I know that Reznor couldn't have composed the music playing while showing the part with the old Doom, but the music we hear while we see the "bird" demon (I have NO idea why people call it that - it looks nothing like a bird imo) turn to face the viewer, opening its mouth to growl (or whatever sound it makes) and then it lunges and attacks.

That bit sounds SO much better than anything from Quake1 - wonderfully creepy in a way that makes me all mushy.
I wish that Doom 3's music is going to be as good as that at the very least.

Fusion: Uhh, Trent did the soundtrack for Quake1 - that is so far the most "creepy atmosphere" music in any id game out there. I may not like it, but I'll hand to it that it captured the atmosphere. The sounds sucked though and almost all the damn tracks sounded like a 15 second loop playing over and over and over and over again, that *might* have been acceptable to me if the sounds were cool, but they weren't.

i concur.. quake1's music ruled over quake2's.. although, i still wasn't a fan of it. I just hope Trent can pull it off better than a symphony orchastra can... <gulp>

Zaldron said:

The recording equipment on the Legacy video sure looked expensive.

Yeah but listen to the Fragile to see what he does with it.