Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MIDI Request: "Cheery with a slight schizophrenic undertone"

Hi. I'm making a fairly unusual map that requires a specific sort of MIDI: as you might have guessed, it needs to sound happy and cheery and yet have an unsettling undertone to it that puts the player on edge. Think somewhere along the lines of "Sweet Little Dead Bunny", but not with the end bit. Are there any musicians out there who can help me out?

Maybe it would be better if you could give your wad to a musician so he can play it and see and feel how to compose the music with what you ask. Visual is always helpful for composing music!

axtarmas said:

Maybe it would be better if you could give your wad to a musician so he can play it and see and feel how to compose the music with what you ask. Visual is always helpful for composing music!

Good point, but I do kind of want to keep it under wraps at the moment. I will give you a keyword though: think meadow.

Memfis said:

How about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNDMGSWfVq0 ?
There is a midi version on vgmusic.com.
For something different try d_runnin from coecits.

Thanks Memfis. :) The first one almost fits, but I need something a little less "mystical". Thanks for the suggestions though.

Gez said:

Some of the Blood MIDIs could work, I think.

Hmm...which one do you think would be best? The Ghost Town one almost sounds right, but not quite. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I was thinking of CBLOOD4 or CBLOOD9. Relistening to it, it doesn't keep the fake cheeriness for long.

I'm sure Wolfram Tones could come up with something. All the slightly-off goodness of computer-generated music.

It's actually surprisingly hard to try and compose something to that criteria. Everything I make either comes out too cheery or too random and shit sounding.

Well, I imagining it's hard to even come up with something that nuanced when you've only got 8+1 channels to work with. Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.

Makes me wish Doom vanilla had supported the more complex forms of midi in one of the later releases. I've heard some really amazing midi compositions that are unfortunately over 20kb.

What is a schizophrenic undertone with apples that you wheel around with a cart and I sold Carl all my shirt buttons.

chopkinsca said:

What is a schizophrenic undertone with apples that you wheel around with a cart and I sold Carl all my shirt buttons.

Taciturn it waterway, and an bearable buttonhole inadmissible it diplomatically of and contest expiration date enact to inoffensive woLf.

Obsidian said:

Taciturn it waterway, and an bearable buttonhole inadmissible it diplomatically of and contest expiration date enact to inoffensive woLf.

Sounds like the LoseThos guy has got on your computer...

Nixot said:

Sounds like the LoseThos guy has got on your computer...

Heh, actually it's an excerpt from a brilliant torrent of verbiage from our very own Unicorn_X. I actually named a map after it. :P

Listen to metal. Listen to blues. Listen to happy trance music. Now combine the three. When you have whole tones, try adding some flat tones to it, maybe hit the 6th, from root note, skip a couple beats.... add that wierd atonality. Try changing tempo from bar to bar, maybe have a section that progressively goes faster in bpm, starting from like 75 and ending at like 160, for a few bars.

But i really don't know shit about music. I just play notes and listen to it.

RISE, MY ZOMBIE!

Ahem. I still need a suitable MIDI for the project I'm working on and I've had no luck finding something that fits the bill. Can someone help me please?

Yo yo! I think I might be of help. Try sending me stuff that sounds 'kind of' like you want it to be. And describe the feel again, throughly.

Oh, and instruments (band, trio, electronic...)

Doggo120 said:

Yo yo! I think I might be of help. Try sending me stuff that sounds 'kind of' like you want it to be. And describe the feel again, throughly.

Oh, and instruments (band, trio, electronic...)

Thanks. :-) I'll put up some links.

This could almost fit, although the end bit with the guitars kind of breaks the theme I'm going for. Also, everyone knows it too well.

I also tried this, but I couldn't find any decent MIDIs that captured the same essence of the original. It isn't overly creepy, but I reckon that could be added easily enough.

I'm not overly savvy instrument-wise, so I can't help on that front. As for the feel, it needs to feel happy bordering on psychotic: a nice tune that somehow puts you on edge and you can't explain why. Hopefully this is enough. Thanks in advance.

Hmm...I'd dial down on the heavy bit halfway through and make it a wee bit more happy, but it definitely follows the guideline. :)

Hahaha too much creepyness! Alrighty, I'm leaving for a few days but next week you'll hear from me again ho ho... Ho

That's perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

Quick question, do you want to be credited as "Doggo120" in the textfile or as something else?

You're very welcomed my friend!

And yes, Doggo120 is good. Haha hey you have to show me your map with the music and everything so I can play it :)

Doggo120 said:

You're very welcomed my friend!

And yes, Doggo120 is good. Haha hey you have to show me your map with the music and everything so I can play it :)

You'll be the first to try it. :-)