Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

"Climb up to the top" type maps

Can you recommend me some maps where you slowly make your way to the top of some very tall structure, like a tower, mountain, etc? Many bonus points if there are lots of fireballs flying at you from the higher levels. A perfect example of such a level is map06 from "Newgothic - movement 1", also there was that Nest map in Deus Vult II. Doom 2 MAP29 is kind of like that but not really: too much action takes place in the side areas.

once Ill finally start mapping, thats for sure the most frequent design which came in my mind for one of the levels. ill call it dreamemfis or so probably :p

Similarly, I can stick something like this into Nex Credo, if you like. It's totally my style; I like to mix it up where I can.

If I ever get back to my GZDoom project, this would be perfect for a level which I already named "Mountain Pass." But you probably don't play (G)ZDoom?

I feel sorry for Memfis, 3 replies and not one of them answers his question.

Or sooner, UDINO E3M6. It needs to be climb to the top anyway so E3M7 can make sense. [/OFF]

I played a few from the 90's but don't remember names, only remember what they look like. Pretty much any rocket jumping map. Also, a map from destunknown, I think from the first episode where you climb a mountain.

The one map that comes to mind is the one revenant pyramid in Combat Shock 2. Though there's alot of pre/post action, that area left an impression on me.

MAP02 and MAP09 of SHiTWADS. :P

Alternatively, there's Helix from PRCP, I suppose, so long as I'm listing my own maps. It's just the one area but you do get a couple of climactic jumps from the top, which might count for something.

Fun fact: I totally forgot about turbotwo MAP01 until clicking Ribbiks's link. Doh!

The final level of UTnT pretty much is this, with one of the most climactic boss fights in a Doom mod when you reach the top.

scalliano said:

The final level of UTnT pretty much is this, with one of the most climactic boss fights in a Doom mod when you reach the top.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this question.

My vanilla megaWAD project is gonna have a climbing up level. Estimated height diference will be 5000 map units!

3 hours ago, TMD said:

Sunder map10, yo

The Hags Finger, correct? Sounds like a more extreme version of my map mentioned earlier.

I don't suppose Black Tower from Master Levels would count, since it uses teleports rather than actually having you climb anything, but it does kind of do the fireballs thing you mentioned on the floors where there are Cacodemons lurking outside.