Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Dead Space 3 sucks

I only believe Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are the only major games that are canon, I fully dismiss Dead Space 3 as some Michael Bay wankfest who entwined the story up and fucked it up big time. Yea really, human enemies? Too much action/explosions? Microtransactions? Get that shit outta here.

Yep, they fucked it up, and adding co-op to a game that is supposed to have a suspenseful atmosphere but noo EA had to fuck it up with whoever wrote the bloody storyline for it! Give me the writers for the first two games, not this Dead Call of Battlespace shit.

So what do you guys think? Does this game do the same by ripping the tension from the game and making it into a generic horror shooter for you as well compared to the first two superior games?

The second installment already turned the game into a blockbuster. Talking Isaac, less suspense etc. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Personally, I think all three games are adequate.

The explosions and over-the-top action stops once you reach the ice planet. That didn't bother me.

Microtransactions are merely an extra option for certain players, and don't affect the game in the long term. Those don't bother me either, lest I dare jump on a slippery slope.

Human enemies-- meh. You get in like five shootouts with humans throughout the entire game and they're a joke enemy that poses no threat. Just more variety really.

Co-op is fine. I like playing co-op in games.

What really irks me is that the entire game in general is just sloppily made. The level design is lulzbad, constantly stopping you to open doors, ride elevators, and climb ladders (coupled with worse load times than the last games). There was one part where I counted at least 13 loading zones between one fight and the next. I also don't like that the surgical style of gunplay was basically removed. The monsters were made tougher and faster, which took away the focus on severing limbs, and made it more about learning how to break the crafting system to create guns that just blow everything apart in one or two hits. The universal ammo system supports this even further.

Ah yes, the removal of killing them easily with limb removal also irritated me since I watched Helloween4545 play through Dead Space 3 and later on he was one or two shotting Necromorphs with torso shots with the shotgun underside weapon.

Dead Space 2 wasn't this bad, despite removing the Gordon Freeman silencism but I can see it improved on several mechanics such as zero G movement, the stomping, making grapples life threatening if you don't react quickly and changing the secondary for the pulse rifle from that stupid 360 shooting.

I can see this game (DS2) being the peak for the series then going downhill with 3.

All the Dead space games were just barely mediocre IMO. I didn't finish any of them because they were so lacking all for their own reasons.

DS1 was sort of trying to be scary, but the developers obviously didn't know anything about how to do that so it just stepped from having no monsters to having monsters get in your face like it was going out of style. Only the first encounter was any memorable, and it was mostly because of the god awful controls that made the game behave like a dump truck on a trampoline. The rest of the game it was just rince and repeat as you weer subjected to a shitty version of Event Horizon's story.

DS2 was definitely better designed as far as controls went. But it was also extremely bland, and despite a memorable encounter with a pipe bursting over your head about five minutes in, it was all just a mindless rince and repeat the same boring encounters until I just couldn't be bothered to continue. There really was no incentive to do so, story was shit, game play was shit, Scenery was sort of nice but essentially generic and forgettable.

The only reason I played DS2 was cause me and a friend wanted to Coop in DS3 so I was gonna catch up on the story I figured. But the game was so bland and pointless that it put me off playing DS3 all together.

I own the first 2 Dead Spaces, Never played the second one. Got pretty far in the first one up to where space dust kills you walking on the outside of the ship. When DS3 came out I tried playing DS1 again, but the game just constantly crashed, which is crazy since its the same system? Another issue I had with the first one was keybinds and not being able to adjust them to the way I preferred.

When I did play the game years ago, I remember it being so slow and clunky. The strategic dismemberment was really just cut off the legs and stomp. Then when you walk through the enemy corpse it gets caught up in your feet and you dribble it like a soccerball. Nothing says scary like dribbling corpses. I felt, you never had to change from the default weapon the entirety of the game.

The ad for it on TV sucked too.

Space guy/robot/alien walks a barren plain of snow with his gun out for some reason, approaches a quarry with an alien pair of stagnant illuminated spikes in it, garbage music plays, space guy/robot/alien activates his armor/facemask thing and reluctantly marches forward.

I don't know anything about dead space but nothing in that commercial made it look like a game that I would want to play.

First one is awesome.

Second one is okay.

Third one is shit I didn't even bother to finish.

First one was awesome, second one was phenomenal, third one wasn't as good as the second, but still great.

While I also think the series peaked with the second, I disagree about the third one discarding all the enjoyable elements. In some ways, I think it tried to explore new territory in areas players hadn't really asked for(more open environments, not quite so many cramped spaces, etc.)

Also, the most basic enjoyable mechanics and concepts of the series (dismemberment, using kinesis/stasis, the necromorphs themselves) had really been fine-tuned by the second game, and the third game didn't improve upon them. All in all, I would say the third one didn't introduce enough changes in some respects, and introduced changes people didn't really want in others. I still really enjoyed it.

All of which goes to say that it's understandable to dislike the third one even if you enjoyed the first two, but if you didn't like the first two, you're not gonna like the third one.

I haven't playued the third game yet but I know for sure that the second game is much better than the first dispite being shorter.

I actually don't find Dead Space 3 all that bad, even despite the numerous fuck-ups, but the Hive Mind battle is beyond frustrating. And, let's face it, I don't like the firefights with human enemies either.

geo said:

I own the first 2 Dead Spaces, Never played the second one. Got pretty far in the first one up to where space dust kills you walking on the outside of the ship. When DS3 came out I tried playing DS1 again, but the game just constantly crashed, which is crazy since its the same system?

Unplug your joystick or gamepad. I got lots of crashes, but then I unplugged the joystick, and no more crashes.

I've played the first game through dozen times, until it got so easy I could almost play the entire game through without taking a hit on the impossible difficulty. And the only places I healed were with the toolkit things when I upgraded the health. All the medikits were just money for upgrades.

It's funny the first encounter with the brute.. the guy is yelling about shooting it in the back.. but that brute is already falling apart (if I have a fully upgraded weapon).

Dead Space 2 was fun some places, more rooms with more enemies, better zero-g control and recharging stasis was nice.. but then half the game was about one of those two armed guys with a tail jumping at me from total darkness. I also didn't like the corpses vanishing before I can stomp them to get the item out, requiring me to shoot one extra bullet at them, making plasma cutter totally useless.. also it didn't kill multiple little spiders anymore. Also the game was made too linear. Also it was very unclear when it was a cutscene and when it was a big metal object squishing Isaac in a gameplay scene that looked like a cutscene. At first I was kinda hating the side characters.. and finally when they got interesting.. The game throws them away! And some of the weapons were given so late..

I still haven't finished the second.

I really enjoyed Dead Space 1 for the first hour....maybe a tad less. It resembled some ideas from other games, especially System Shock 2, but dumbed it all down.

The monsters were dull, non threatening and repetitive. They used cheap scare tactics that had to be scraped *yarn*. I love games were you are on a space ship, but I never really felt like I was in space in this game, just some grimy underground complex.

When the story wanted me to get to engineering I was looking forward to change in scenery from the 'grimy mining' parts of the ship. I was very disappointed when I got there. It all looked the same as before, nothing looked different and consisted mainly of nothing....literally, it was just a big black empty space you had to cross!

It had some fun ideas, but failed to deliver any of it very well.

I bought Dead Space 2 on steam last year.....not played it yet because I heard it was less scary and more about action.....thats breaking away from what it was supposed to be. Then I heard 3 was even worse, so that makes me not want to even bother with number 2....wish I saved my £2.50 *sigh*

Anyway, thanks for heads up....confirmed as best to stay away. *crosses box*

bcwood16 said:

I bought Dead Space 2 on steam last year.....not played it yet because I heard it was less scary and more about action.....thats breaking away from what it was supposed to be.

Well, at least the environments are more varied, as far as I remember.

The 1st game manages to make "boo!" feel like a legitimate way of scaring you, over and over again. I don't know about #2. Dead Space 3 sort of seems like they really watered down the formula without adding any ingredients.

edit: On the other hand, what the hell was up with the tool that instantly pointed you where to go? Maps were the definition of railroad linear, as if anyone could get confused? Maybe it had to do with the darkness or something.

TheCupboard said:

edit: On the other hand, what the hell was up with the tool that instantly pointed you where to go? Maps were the definition of railroad linear, as if anyone could get confused? Maybe it had to do with the darkness or something.

I was actually quite glad to have that as many of the places where quite samey.

Dead Space 1 felt like they basically took all the criticism about Doom 3 and thought it'd be a good idea to make a game based on that... and exaggerate everything. I played maybe ~45 minutes of it and never gave it a second thought, nor did I care about Dead Space 2. :p

I also did not like the fact they completely changed the Infector in the third game to the little spider head infecting things. The flappy winged creature was an iconic infection symbol to me, now lost to time and forgotten.

40oz said:

The ad for it on TV sucked too... garbage music plays...

Ha, I almost forgot about that. Phil Collins cover in a vidya gaem ad. Did that ever need to be a thing, at least in a game that isn't GTA:VC?