Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

The 'New Rise of the Triad' Level Editor

I wasn't sure how I felt about this game but it looks like their on the right track by introducing a level editor that's easy to use. The demonstration shows a feature of the editor where the user places prefabricated cubes textured with original ROTT textures and laying them pretty quickly. It looks almost like a tile-based editor the way he's dragging and dropping them.

I wouldn't say it's on par with Doom's editors, (in terms in user-friendliness + the relative difficulty * amount of time to create something that looks good.) I'm actually a little concerned whether users will be able to gravitate to the the more complicated aspects of level editing from the classic mode, but I think these guys are going in the right direction as far as being supportive of user-generated levels for a fast-paced first person shooting game.

WHOA, SO RETRO.

But seriously, I'm still not sure how into this game I'll be until I actually get my hands on it, but I do like that a public editor is planned for. I hope the mod creation tools are comprehensive and easy to share. I'm currently fantasizing about something like UT's 'mutators.' I'd be disappointed if a fatboy mod weren't made within 24hrs of this editor's release. :)

First thing I'd do is probably soup up some Doom levels.

I was skeptical but a few gameplay videos I've seen make it look like it plays a lot like the original ROTT. The player is super fast, rocket launchers are within easy access via secrets, and the gore is quite campy. I'm one to look at pretty much every game in question, but this game doesn't look bad to me. This may be the first game I've purchased in a looooooooong time.

Okay, I apologize if this isn't kosher to ask; Hell as necessary, in that case. But... was anyone planning on doing one of those RotT four-packs? I'd like to get the game that way, save $3.50 or so, but I've only come across one other person interested in that option, and, well, y'know, 2 is less than 4.

This is in fact the only game I have ever pre-ordered (Granted getting four other games piled in is a good deal imo). I like this direction indeed.

I'm really looking forward to messing around with that editor. I must say I haven't been convinced to pre-order anything for many years but this game is an exception. Hope they are working on Steam Workshop integration for prospective mappers, but it's not that big of a deal if they can't squeeze that in.

Disregard my earlier offer. Nobody was biting, and the one guy who I had lined up bought his own copy earlier, without telling me, so I just bought a copy for myself and called it a day.

Incidentally, you can pre-load your copy of the game now. I have. Should unlock around 3PM ET.

Alright, got my copy pre-loaded. To me it's still weird to think this thing even exists. I mean, who would ever think to make a new, modern game aimed specifically at the Doomworld crowd? I mean think about it - who else but us would even know what ROTT even is in the first place?

Normally I would pre-order a game like this, but I have been burned so many games that "looked awesome" but ended up sucking that I have it as a personal rule now to never pre-order anything unless there is some big fat bonus involved.

EDIT: Never mind. Its only 15 bucks so I guess its worth the risk. Plus I will get to pre-load it.

If it pre-loads that is. I just keep getting "pre-load suspended". Many people are downloading this?

hardcore_gamer said:

Normally I would pre-order a game like this, but I have been burned so many games that "looked awesome" but ended up sucking that I have it as a personal rule now to never pre-order anything unless there is some big fat bonus involved.

The cost, combined with the Apogee Throwback Pack, made the pre-order worth it even if the game itself sucks. Honestly, that's part of what motivated me. I never owned the original ROTT, so even if the game sucks, at least now I have that.

My only worry is that there haven't been any single player previews that I know about. Its very rarely good news when there aren't any previews from a game.

But at least there have been multiplayer previews that looked ok, so perhaps not all is doomed.

EDIT: Also, the fact that you can't play other games on STEAM while downloading is extremely annoying and I can't believe this has hasn't been changed yet. "Want to play something else while waiting for that game to load? Fuck you!"

EDIT: Just played the first level. Looks good so far. I am actually really shocked by how close it is to the original game. There are basically zero attempts to "modernize" the game. You pistol and machine gun even have unlimited ammo and can fire forever without reloading just like in the original game. Only bad stuff I have noticed so far is bad voice acting from enemies.

hardcore_gamer said:

Only bad stuff I have noticed so far is bad voice acting from enemies.

So it really is authentic to the original game!

Stage 1 is apparently a fairly authentic remake of the first level of the first episode of the registered game. I don't think the other 19 stages are remakes as well, but that kinda surprised me, especially since watching a video of it, I didn't recognize it until it was pointed out to me.

Shadow Hog said:

So it really is authentic to the original game!

Stage 1 is apparently a fairly authentic remake of the first level of the first episode of the registered game. I don't think the other 19 stages are remakes as well, but that kinda surprised me, especially since watching a video of it, I didn't recognize it until it was pointed out to me.

Yea, I did not find the first level to look like the first level in the original game at all.

Game is fun so far, though still not really amazing.

I guess being very straightforward was kind of the point, but it still means the game gets old kind of quickly. I have only finished 4 levels, but I already feel a bit bored already.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea how to access the level editor.

Thoughts so far:

Playing SP on hard is quite difficult, which makes it all the more fun when coupled with the classic level design. All the guns feel powerful; both sound-wise and visual-wise.

The biggest downside I noticed the most is the performance issue. My system is running an overclocked Radeon HD 7950 with an Intel i5 3570K, and my FPS often drops below 30. The worst was on a multiplayer map: my framerate never went above 20FPS and often stayed around 10FPS.

My other minor complaint is with the multiplayer. Weapons don't stay on the ground when you pick them up, so more often than not players will grab all the explosive weapons on the map and you'll die several times before they reappear for you to grab. Hopefully they add an option to let the weapons always be available.

Overall the game is a ton of fun so far, but hopefully the performance issue gets fixed; the multiplayer is a bit unplayable right now on certain maps.

My only issue re: performance is that my graphics card keeps dying and recovering in the middle of the game. Fortunately, it likes to do this when I'm not in a firefight, so I merely have to put up with this briefly (the ground flying up into the sky fixes itself if I look/move around a little bit). It's kind of annoying, though, and makes me worried that this might just be a sign of more serious issues down the road.

(RotT isn't the only program to do this... Sonic Generations did it back in 2011 when that was new, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed does it occasionally, and Blender, of all things, can also trigger it.)