Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Resident Evil 6 is nowhere near as bad as the critics claim

I really just don't get it. I bought Resident Evil 6 in-spite of many of the bad reviews because it was on a STEAM summer sale and so far I have played a few levels of it. Its fine.

Don't get me wrong, there are some rather nasty problems like the first 20 min of the game basically just being a bunch of quicktime events and the camera and controls being a bit annoying, but generally speaking its a perfectly playable and an entertaining game. While I would perhaps not recommend it at full price, at 30 or so bucks it easily provides good value for your money.

And yet, critics like gamespot (gave it a 4.5/10) and Jim Sterling from Destructoid (gave it a 3/10) destroyed the game in their reviews.

Having read some of those reviews, I wonder if I can still take mainstream video game critics seriously, because they now strike me as just being a bunch of cry babies who bitch and moan over anything, while at the same time giving other games that suffer from the exact same flaws a very high score so long as said game comes from some kind of a very popular franchinse like Call of Duty.

So far I am enjoying Resident Evil 6, and find it to be a fun game in-spite of it's flaws.

Anyone else thinks the game deserves more praise then it got?

Play Resident Evil: Revelations then comeback to 6. 6 is alright, but RE:R is a much needed step in the right direction.

It definitely didn't help that leading up to the release of it, people at Capcom and close to the development were saying constantly, "we're going back to the basics" and when it comes out, its blatantly not that, and barely passable at what the series is trying to be now; a third-person shooter.

It definitely DID help, though, that the game's logo is a giraffe-man getting blown.

I lost track of the Resident Evil series after Code Veronica. Though it was a decent game, I pin-point that is when it "jumped the shark" imho, story-wise.

Nevertheless

hardcore_gamer said:

So far I am enjoying Resident Evil 6, and find it to be a fun game

That's what playing video games is all about.

I think RE 6 is awful to be honest, no horror to speak off and the actual 3rd person shooting was done infinitely better in the previous 2 games.
Not to mention the laughably bad central villain, quick time events plastered all over the place, inconsistent messy presentation (Some characters and environments look great while some look PS2 quality) and skittish gameplay across the 4 character arcs that it's obvious that it doesnt know what to be so its just a messy mishmash of everything...
When capcom said back to basics i was hoping they'd actually go back to the original/Remake style (You know, actual survivor horror...) oh well, sure showed me not to get my hopes up :-/

I didn't like the PS1 originals but I liked RE4. However, I get my zombie fix from Left 4 Dead.

vinnie245 said:

I think RE 6 is awful to be honest, no horror to speak off and the actual 3rd person shooting was done infinitely better in the previous 2 games.

I don't agree about the combat.

While the camera is more annoying in RE 6 then it is in 5, I still find the actual act of shooting a zombie in RE 6 much for satisfying then it is in 5.

This is largely because because in 6 the zombies take gory and realistic looking damage each time they are shoot, and as a result shooting things in 6 just feels better then it does in 6.

The only real problems I have with the game is that the controls are a little bit lacking and the camera can sometimes be a bit annoying.

I have only completed the first chapter of each character so far, but at least so far I would say the game is at least a 7.5/10 and perhaps even an 8 if it gets better.

Resident Evil 6 is the only game I've sold in my entire life. I'm not sure if my purchase of it "to see how bad it can really be" was even worth the $18 (after resale).

Having read many of the reasons lots of people disliked the game I think I know now why a lot of people hated the game: They simply sucked at it.

I know that may sound like trolling, but allow me to explain further...

A lot of the complaints complained about 3 things: The controls, the herb system and the ammo.

People complained that the camera and the controls were bad, because the camera doesn't always stay behind your character and because using the inventory was clusmy. They also complained about how you had to turn your herbs into pills before eating them 1 at a time which made things more complex then it had to be. People also complained about about there not being enough ammo and that they just ran out.

Personally, I think (almost) all of this is complete and total bullshit, and that the people who complained about this just plain sucked at the game.

The reasons are as fallows:

1. The camera is actually BETTER then it is in most games because its way more flexible. I can literally rotate the whole camera to see what is behind me at any given time. This can be very useful. Doing this effectively however, requires some skill so I imagine that a lot of people just got confused by the camera and thus foolishly dismissed it as simply being "broken".

2. The herb/pill system makes perfect sense. Since you have to turn the herbs into pills and swallow one at a time you can re-fill exactly as much of your health as you have to and don't have to waste a whole herb just to re-fill a bit of health. The people who complain about this are just lazy fucks who can't be bothered to take proper advantage of the game mechanics.

3. There is more then enough ammo as far as I can tell (I have finished about 4 chapters overall so far). Its important to understand that you have to be careful with ammo in this game, and thus I only use my ammo when I have to and use melee when I have the option to do so without loosing too much health. I bet most of the people who complained about there not being enough ammo simply pissed it all away like idiots.

Don't get me wrong, the game does have some real flaws. But most of the loudest complaints I have heard about this game aren't so much real flaws as much as they are just people crying because they can't or aren't willing to play the game properly.

From my (admittedly brief/bit-torrented) time with RE6, my main issues are not with the inventory and ammo systems, they are primarily with the awkward controls and the failed attempt at turning the game into Gears of War. Leon's campaign does seem to be more styled after RE4 or 5, but Chris's turns into pretty much just your basic America, Fuck Yeah! soldiers running down corridors, shooting things (that are shooting back) and yelling things like OSCAR MIKE. The cover system doesn't work very well, it's almost more effective to kick everything than it is to shoot at all (granted this has been a problem since RE4, where shooting your target in the foot to stun them and run up for a melee follow-up is more ammo-efficient than just shooting them)...

And the largest complaint I have is that most of the game options are forbidden to you until you have played the game for about 10 minutes to get past the introduction segment. Too much cinematic, not enough GAME.

WildWeasel said:

Too much cinematic, not enough GAME.

That's only the prelude/opening chapter. After that the quicktime events and cinematics are seriously reduced.

Resident Evil 1 is no where as good as the critics claim.

geo said:

Resident Evil 1 is no where as good as the critics claim.

I would argue that Resident Evil 1 is just terrible.

Seing people praise Resident Evil 1 while cursing Resident Evil 6 for having bad controls is fucking hillarous.

Resident Evil 1 has some of the worst controls of any game I have ever played.

hardcore_gamer said:

I would argue that Resident Evil 1 is just terrible.

Seing people praise Resident Evil 1 while cursing Resident Evil 6 for having bad controls is fucking hillarous.

Resident Evil 1 has some of the worst controls of any game I have ever played.

I bought it on PSN sale after not playing it ever. I played RE2 and RE3. RE1 just seems needlessly cumbersome. Like it was supposed to be a point and click game come to life. You can't have a health / item button on one of the 8 buttons? I need to go into the menu and use the item? Even Zelda 1 had an item use button.

Playing the Walking Dead makes me wonder if it would have been possible to have that game on PS1.

As for the Mortal Kombat review.... he's a kid. Coach him and teach him, don't make fun of him. A helpful hint to any reviewer is play the game before you review it :-)

geo said:

I bought it on PSN sale after not playing it ever. I played RE2 and RE3. RE1 just seems needlessly cumbersome. Like it was supposed to be a point and click game come to life. You can't have a health / item button on one of the 8 buttons? I need to go into the menu and use the item? Even Zelda 1 had an item use button.

Playing the Walking Dead makes me wonder if it would have been possible to have that game on PS1.

As for the Mortal Kombat review.... he's a kid. Coach him and teach him, don't make fun of him. A helpful hint to any reviewer is play the game before you review it :-)

The game is dated for sure, but when I first played it in 1998 on PS1, it was certainly innovative. Unlike games such as Doom, it hasn't aged as well (mostly because it never had a large community of modders tinker with it).Nevertheless, I still rather play them than the newer ones.I like the originals because they seemed more like old-school Romero films.

geo said:

Idk dude, this kid seems pretty hopeless. lol

hardcore_gamer said:

That's only the prelude/opening chapter. After that the quicktime events and cinematics are seriously reduced.

I get this weird feeling that you missed all of my post except for the last sentence.

hardcore_gamer said:

I also don't know where you get that from, their all over the place throughout the entire game...
As for RE1 having awkward controls, i never really had a problem with them and it somewhat adds to the experience, i mean if you could move and shoot really easy it would lessen the tense/horror aspect somewhat (Hense why most "horror" games nowadays arent scary at all since you can out maneuver everything you face and have the arsenal to deal with an army)

all of RE6 is just on rails. at least in RE4 you can run around, explore stuff, and just... walk around and not trigger a bazillion cutscenes over and over.

oh, and if you're playing the co-op mode with someone, whatever you do, you BETTER make sure that you load game content for the second player when playing the game again. otherwise, you'll wind up like me at my friend's place: playing all of Leon's last chapter, with my two starting weapons, and a handful of grenades.

why the FUCK they wouldn't at least give you a default selection of weapons and ammunition encountered throughout the last chapters for a scenario such like this is beyond me.

Kirby said:

Ahem

Quite honestly this sums it up pretty well.

People still take zero-punctuation as gospel? The guy who makes them is an entertainer, not a serious reviewer. Even the games he likes he rarely actually praises.

Kontra Kommando said:

Idk dude, this kid seems pretty hopeless. lol

Is he just trolling? I think I was beating the game when I was 8 - 9. But yeah its not for everyone. The game isn't even that hard. Just avoid the bullets. Since you're so agile and mobile, its pretty easy, but whatever. Super C is more difficult than fun. Where you're supposed to go? Isn't there only one way to go? I have a feeling he's trolling.

hardcore_gamer said:

People still take zero-punctuation as gospel? The guy who makes them is an entertainer, not a serious reviewer. Even the games he likes he rarely actually praises.

He really feels correct though. Its entertainment sure, but he brings up a lot of good points like a punch in the face to games. I'm also the type of person that can really like something, but if you hear me talk about it, you'd think I hate it. Go read the indie game thread. Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

I thought RE6 was terrible. It's a very divisive game but I was on the side that feels that the gameplay isn't nearly enough for its horrific faults. Sure it's fun to roll around and dive past multiple zombies, but so many aspects of the original series have been neutered out, and even Leon's campaign (which is designed to appeal to those that enjoyed 1 & 2) quickly enters a level of absurdity that Wesker wishes he could've been around for. I will admit it has divine presentation and a great load of polish, but I only found myself enjoying mercanaries as all of the campaigns were long, exhausting, and atrociously designed overall (not giving an indication as to whether or not you're hurting a boss is utterly baffling).

Oh that goddamn dumb story. I tried to follow what they were talking about but it gets so cluttered and inane, riddled with so many unrelatable reactions that I was better off picking up the Kingdom Hearts series again.

Also I liked the RE tank controls so I suppose that condemns me :P