Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mr. Chris said:

I still would go with nuking the trollwads/terrywads or putting them in /Trollwads because they do nothing but have the same old tricks and do nothing useful but piss off the player.

We do need some sort of QA for the archives be enforced, I can totally understand keeping super amateur or poorly made levels but not crap in the vein of a Terrywad.

I'd opt for creating a new category to dump them in, probably somewhere in /themes. I don't think deletion is an option, once you start nuking wads on the basis that some people don't like them - where do you stop?

Obsidian said:

Interesting that this is the last post you've made since CSonicGo brought up Terrywads a few months ago. But I will have a look at these myself to discern the truth. In SLADE3. Heh.

You're not aware of who you just quoted. It's freaking CRASHHELPER! I'd think it would ring any bells.

GreyGhost said:

I'd opt for creating a new category to dump them in, probably somewhere in /themes. I don't think deletion is an option, once you start nuking wads on the basis that some people don't like them - where do you stop?

I'd hope that the zipbombs are at least considered worthy of removal. Maybe they've already been taken care of; I've just heard CSonicGo complaining about them a lot :)

Those ones are probably the most overtly malicious, though in general it seems like it ought to be possible to do something about all the fake wads whose descriptions try to masquerade as something completely different. They're less harmful than the zipbombs, of course, but the intent to deceive is still there.

If these wads have any merit worth considering their preservation on the archive, they should at least be required to be upfront about what they are rather than allowing fake and intentionally misleading descriptions to flood the search listings.

buttspit said:

You're not aware of who you just quoted. It's freaking CRASHHELPER! I'd think it would ring any bells.

I recall the Terrytards mentioning him on Youtube, but that's about it. Enlighten me, would you?

Obsidian said:

I recall the Terrytards mentioning him on Youtube, but that's about it. Enlighten me, would you?

Crashhelper is rumored to be the alias Terry used before making jokewads. He used to have a website with some decent (if not a bit 1994-ish) wads, but it's gone now.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080317192659/http://wads.co2games.com/
A few got saved by the Wayback machine, though

If you're going to have a large archive of anything, be it music, games, art, potatoes, or wads in our case, Sturgeon's Law very much applies. Are you people trying to defy sturgeon's law?

Anyways, unless the wad is outright malicious against your computer (contains a virus), I see no reason to wipe it from the archives. Maybe if you want to do ANYTHING, have some specific criterion for it to be classified as a "troll wad" (which I'm sure there will be much argument over), and have some clear marking on the page if it fits that criterion.

Then again, we already have Bloodshedder's reliable terrywad stamps.

esselfortium said:

I'd hope that the zipbombs are at least considered worthy of removal. Maybe they've already been taken care of; I've just heard CSonicGo complaining about them a lot :)

Yep, they are a pest. Though if the permissions allow their contents to be modified & re-used, I wonder what Ty's reaction would be to some sanitized unofficial "updates"? ;-)

This one time I was testing with lowering ceiling sectors, I made a cave area and created what was supposed to be a stalagmite (whatever the ceiling version is called) which instantly lowered while attempting to run past underneath, it was kind of hilerious.

Avoozl said:

This one time I was testing with lowering ceiling sectors, I made a cave area and created what was supposed to be a stalagmite (whatever the ceiling version is called) which instantly lowered while attempting to run past underneath, it was kind of hilerious.

Hm?

Kind of reminds me of Xaser's numerous random posts on the joys of roast beef.

Avoozl said:

This one time I was testing with lowering ceiling sectors, I made a cave area and created what was supposed to be a stalagmite stalactite which instantly lowered while attempting to run past underneath, it was kind of hilerious hilarious.

FTFY

Linkrulezall said:

If you're going to have a large archive of anything, be it music, games, art, potatoes, or wads in our case, Sturgeon's Law very much applies. Are you people trying to defy sturgeon's law?

That's the most retarded argument ever.

Linkrulezall said:

Anyways, unless the wad is outright malicious against your computer (contains a virus), I see no reason to wipe it from the archives.

I doubt such a thing exists. Do any of the ports allow script code to access the host machine's filesystem? Why would they even allow that? It would seem like a very stupid idea, even without the existence of troll wads. A simple, honest mistake could cause real damage. It's not at all the same as just having the game crash or lock up (not fun, but no software is perfect, so it happens).

Actually someone mentioned earlier that it's possible for a troll wad to change your game settings. That's still nothing like an actual virus. The damage is small and self-contained to the game itself, rather than having arbitrary access to the OS. It's really just an annoyance, and doesn't warrant any fear or any more attention than putting up a "beware of trolls" sign or whatever.

hex11 said:

I doubt such a thing exists.

I'd say it depends on how the downloader's OS reacts when a known filetype with an incorrect suffix is double-clicked. Might also require a bit of social engineering.

hex11 said:

Stuff like wow.wad was pretty unusual, but even that one you can't be certain if it was deliberately "lamed down" or if the author just thought the concept of exploiting the HOM effect was cool.

He thought it was cool.

@GrayGhost: Something like /themes/Terrywads or themes/Trollwads.

Wouldn't that be appealing to terrywads by acknowledging and giving them special status/treatment?

It's that or delete them. Either way I don't care. If it's the former, at least all the garbage will be in one spot for people to download at their own risk so it's not cluttered with legitimate wads.

Linkrulezall said:

Crashhelper is rumored to be the alias Terry used before making jokewads. He used to have a website with some decent (if not a bit 1994-ish) wads, but it's gone now.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080317192659/http://wads.co2games.com/
A few got saved by the Wayback machine, though

For a while crashhelper was assumed to be Terry (ie, an alt account), since Terry keeps mentioning the name "crashhelper" and they both make strikingly similar troll messages (besides the How comical! How comical!). But nowadays, it's accepted that's Crashhelper is chekwob. Based on all chekwob's work outside Doom modding that I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if he created those considerably malicious scripts for UACMN (and in a relatively recent TerryWAD).

Do you understand that, everyone? The guy responsible for those zip-bomb Terrywads is posting in this forum, so you (csonicgo) know who to rage to.

BloodyAcid said:

Wouldn't that be appealing to terrywads by acknowledging and giving them special status/treatment?

What about a Morons subfolder for blatant terrywads? I imagine that's not something one would be proud to be a part of.

Mr. Chris said:

@GrayGhost: Something like /themes/Terrywads or themes/Trollwads.

Yep, pretty much. I like buttspit's idea - /themes/morons.

And thirded. I was a bit worried for the same reason BloodyAcid was, but that idea fits rather well.

Has anyone gotten Ty's attention so he can chime in on this subject here to get his opinion?

buttspit said:

For a while crashhelper was assumed to be Terry, since Terry keeps mentioning him and they both make strikingly similar troll messages (besides the How comical! How comical!). But nowadays, it's accepted that's he's chekwob.

Too many pronouns. Who is "accepted" to be chekwob? Terry or crashhelper?

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Too many pronouns. Who is "accepted" to be chekwob? Terry or crashhelper?

I posted that late at night, and yeah it looks like shit. I edited that, but here:

Crashhelper = chekwob (zip-bomber)

Terry = ? (somebody get an answer to this million dollar question)

would you rather have censorship of shit-tastic troll wads designed to piss you off and involve humiliation of other doomers or have them spam the archives to the point where you have to go knee deep in the shit just to find a good wad?

I would agree with censorship, cut off the head and the body will die, But then there is the many people actively search out these troll wads and even have entire youtube channels and videos dedicated to them, giving the attention and recognition they crave from us.
Many people even do so called "reviews" (Which lack any actual review materials what so ever, just say you are playing shit rather than lying about reviewing shit please) of them just to try and feast of off the trolls attention, which is ultimately making the situation even more of a shitstorm.
Then some morons continue to rate Terry wads that were blatantly pointed out by other users, typical.

I admit that I do have maybe 2 or 3 vids with one or two troll wads but they are not the main focus unlike others, however I said I would never do it again because it encourages the cunts to continue.

I say cut off the head and watch em wither, but I doubt it will happen. That is just my opinion, I am pretty sure some people may like being sodomized :/

mrthejoshmon said:

I am pretty sure some people may like being sodomized :/

This is a bit offtopic, but how is the desire to copulate with an animal related to troll wads?

BloodyAcid said:

This is a bit offtopic, but how is the desire to copulate with an animal related to troll wads?

I don't think sodomization refers exclusively to animals, but then again I'm not an expert(thank heck for that!). I'm not about to look it up either.