Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

Favillesco first episode for Doom 1 Released!

Idgames link
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17283

mediafire link
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mz9a53qcq98s4pj/favie112.zip

E1M1 Playthough:

Hi, I'm a 30 years old doomer, I make maps when it's possible for me because most of the time I'm busy with other stuff. beyond that I keep interested on everything related to doom, I believe mapping is a true art which requires lots of effort, motivation and skills.

This is the first episode of what is intended to be a four episode replacement for ultimate doom taking place on the four galilean moons of jupiter. I've tried of emulate the well known "phobos style" it is know there are many phobos replacements out there and I wanted to do one on my own. I used the shareware doom wad as resurce for these maps
in order to avoid elements from the other episodes and I've put enphasis on the layout geometry "studying" the classic romero maps and trying to think more or less like him when making sectors and texturing, sorta dtwid.
The story is that uac has bases on the moons of jupiter as well on those of mars and the invasion event is simultaneous to the one on mars. this first episode takes place on the moon Io

New levels

e1m1: observatory
e1m2: technological complex
e1m3: bio research
e1m4: waste treatment
e1m5: io lab
e1m6: atmospheric processor
e1m7: hardware
e1m8: io anomaly
e1m9: monitoring terminal

e1m4 and e1m5 were posted for testing time ago and were slightly modified. this wad is a 1.0 version so feel free to comment any bug you may find or aspects of gameplay that could seem bland.
all 9 maps are intended to be played from pistol start with no mandatory secrets and not to be so hard, just enjoyable as original doom was.

Updates from version 1.0 to version 1.1:
e1m1: many tutti fruity texture effect fixed and some texture alignments
e1m2: corrected small curve in the eastern secret corridor and corrected
sector lighting right before the outside area.
e1m3: inescapable secret area with blue armor solved
e1m4: wrong light level of platform on the acid pool at the SE corner fixed.
some minor changes in the secret stair at the south and a window in front of
the soulsphere.
2 tutti fruity effects solved
e1m5: 2 tutti fruity effects solved
e1m6: some minor texture alignment on the secret area with the computer map
e1m7: many tutti fruity effects.
e1m8. corrected 4 sectors wrong lighting level
changed many "109" linedef to "2" due to vanilla incompability
e1m9: corrected 1 step height at SW corner

updates from version 1.1 to version 1.2:

e1m1:
4 tutti frutti effects fixed.
1 floating item fixed.

e1m2:
2 tutti frutti effect fixed.
fixed inescapable secret area at NW.
3 realigned textures.

e1m3:
6 tutti frutti effects fixed.
enhanced detail in bars on the north room with the green armor.
enhanced detail in bars on the window between the small pool and
the outside area with the soulsphere.
missed secret area fixed.
zombiemen open the blue armor secret area fixed.

e1m4:
stucked zombieman fixed.
some minor aesthetic corrections as:
some texture alignments to 0;0 on startan walls.
nukeslad texture applied arround the cumputer's map platform
ceiling of the soulsphere sector lowered resulting on a ceiling techcase.
changed texture ceiling of closet near to soulsphere.
window on corridor prior to the yellow key lifted by 8 units.
lowered light level on closet that opens after grabbing the red key.

e1m5:
1 tutti frutti effects fixed.
stucked demon on SW platform fixed.
corrected ceiling texture and light level on the SW platform
enhanced detail in bars on the SW area.
enhanced detail in bars on the middle area next to the pool.

e1m6:
3 tutti frutti effect fixed.
1 wrong texture fixed at the north area.
1 door texture aligned.
some texture alignments to 0;0 on startan walls.

e1m7:
2 tutti frutti effects fixed.
aligned bars at the W outside area and lowered detail on lateral frames.
Interchanged places between soulsphere and invisibility for merits/reward balance.

e1m8:
fixed visible baron at the begining.
"2" action linedefs reverted to "109" as version 1.0.

some pics:

A very good map set.

If I were to nit-pick, I'd say there was little uniqueness to each individual map to separate it from the others. A bit maze like and a few too many switches and pickups hidden in darkness.

But it's still a very good map set.

Memfis said:

4shared requires registration, which will probably stop many people from downloading this, so here is a direct link.

Thanks Memfis, I've tried your link and it seems to be broken.
Would you recommend a new site for uploading the file without registration issues?

nicolas monti said:

Would you recommend a new site for uploading the file without registration issues?

A lot of folk around here (myself included) use MediaFire.

^^
www.speedyshare.com or www.mediafire.com (the first doesn't require an account even to upload files)

But Memfis's link works.

Also, from the first three-and-half maps I've played, I can fairly say that these maps, with their clean style and complexity while not being confusing, are qualitatively superior to DTWID and any other E1-replacement I've played, I can say by myself. You've got a good job there, really.

Jayextee said:

A lot of folk around here (myself included) use MediaFire.

Thanks

scifista42 said:

^^
www.speedyshare.com or www.mediafire.com (the first doesn't require an account even to upload files)

But Memfis's link works.

Also, from the first three-and-half maps I've played, I can fairly say that these maps, with their clean style and complexity while not being confusing, are qualitatively superior to DTWID and any other E1-replacement I've played, I can say by myself. You've got a good job there, really.

Thanks man! I see that Memfis link is working for me now.

I snagged it from Memfis' link.

Played the first two maps (a quick-to-overheat laptop means I play in small bursts) and I like it, even if E1M2 seemed a bit meandering.

Lovely detail though; does this target Vanilla?

Jayextee said:

I snagged it from Memfis' link.

Played the first two maps (a quick-to-overheat laptop means I play in small bursts) and I like it, even if E1M2 seemed a bit meandering.

Lovely detail though; does this target Vanilla?

Yes, it targets vanilla, about the meandering thing you're right, nonlinear design is one of my goals when mapping. i'm glad you liked it!

I played first map, it's cool. You have the E1 style down really good. I found some tutti fruti in various places:
- computers near ceiling level, in the left corridor from start area
- first step before the big staircase, in right corridor from start area. then soon after, the step behind the short corridor with flashing TLITE
- last step on staircase going to green armor, then that one tall step right after. also the step that goes into the secret area that's in between those two. and also, the step right before the blue floor where blue armor lies.
- computers at ceiling level, above the switch & two candelabras (don't remember exactly where this is in the map)

There may have been more, but it's all I can remember. Watch how you're using "short" textures, because when they get vertically tiled, it creates that bug. It's easy enough to fix though (just adjust ceiling or floor height, so the short texture doesn't get tiled vertically).

hex11 said:

I played first map, it's cool. You have the E1 style down really good. I found some tutti fruti in various places:
- computers near ceiling level, in the left corridor from start area
- first step before the big staircase, in right corridor from start area. then soon after, the step behind the short corridor with flashing TLITE
- last step on staircase going to green armor, then that one tall step right after. also the step that goes into the secret area that's in between those two. and also, the step right before the blue floor where blue armor lies.
- computers at ceiling level, above the switch & two candelabras (don't remember exactly where this is in the map)

There may have been more, but it's all I can remember. Watch how you're using "short" textures, because when they get vertically tiled, it creates that bug. It's easy enough to fix though (just adjust ceiling or floor height, so the short texture doesn't get tiled vertically).

Thanks buddy! I'll fix them on the next version, I didn't notice them because I was testing the maps on prboom, what port are you using? so a can see them and fix them all on a quick run!

Jayextee said:

Couldn't get out of this secret; E1M3, PRBoom+

IDMYPOS for great justice

You have to walk back and foward to the wall and it will lower, it works for me. please tell me if it doesn't work after doing that!
solved on v1.1

nicolas monti said:

Thanks buddy! I'll fix them on the next version, I didn't notice them because I was testing the maps on prboom, what port are you using? so a can see them and fix them all on a quick run!

Chocolate Doom - it's the only way to catch all bugs, unless you feel like running doom.exe inside DOSBox.

hex11 said:

Chocolate Doom - it's the only way to catch all bugs, unless you feel like running doom.exe inside DOSBox.

Great, I'll try it on that, btw I began to work on the 1.1 version with the bug fixes but I'll wait for more potential bugs to come out, thanks a lot!
I know the question is stupid, but how do I load a pwad on Chocolate doom?, I have the list with the commands but I don't know how to use them! I mean, i know how to use dos and dosbox, but I want to do it from windows..

played these, cool stuff man, only complaint is that it's a little too homagey in places, but overall top notch maps.

nicolas monti said:

I know the question is stupid, but how do I load a pwad on Chocolate doom?, I have the list with the commands but I don't know how to use them! I mean, i know how to use dos and dosbox, but I want to do it from windows..

You might want to check this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/64561-chocolate-doom-issue/
I don't run Windows, so can't comment much. On my Unix machine, I just have the IWAD (named doom.wad) in a filesystem path pointed to by the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. And I also have this alias in my shell's login profile:
alias doom='chocolate-doom -devparm'
That way I can just run stuff like "doom -file favie110.wad -skill 4 -warp 1 2" and it works exactly like the old doom.exe (the options are much the same, but now there are more of them).

Put IWADs and your wad into ChocolateDoom's directory and run it using CMD line:

chocolate-doom -iwad Doom.wad -file favie110.wad
You can create a batch (.bat) file with this content to execute the command, or if you have Total Commander/Windows Commander, write this in its bottom command line.

scifista42 said:

Put IWADs and your wad into ChocolateDoom's directory and run it using CMD line:

chocolate-doom -iwad Doom.wad -file favie110.wad
You can create a batch (.bat) file with this content to execute the command, or if you have Total Commander/Windows Commander, write this in its bottom command line.

hex11 said:

You might want to check this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/64561-chocolate-doom-issue/
I don't run Windows, so can't comment much. On my Unix machine, I just have the IWAD (named doom.wad) in a filesystem path pointed to by the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. And I also have this alias in my shell's login profile:
alias doom='chocolate-doom -devparm'
That way I can just run stuff like "doom -file favie110.wad -skill 4 -warp 1 2" and it works exactly like the old doom.exe (the options are much the same, but now there are more of them).

Thanks for the info guys, anyway I'm runing it with doom.exe on dosbox in order to "purge" all possible bug! I've uploaded the 1.1 version with some of them fixed.

FDA for E1M1. That was a very good opening map. I'll give the rest a shot soon. I really suck at FDA's, so don't expect it to be a very good one. :( If you're not to sure how to play demos, I'll send you a PM tutorial if you want.

I've finished my playthrough. The rest of maps just confirmed me what I've thought and said earlier. Style very loyal to the Romero's original, the maps were nice, also long and elaborate, but not so hard to navigate at the same time. In fact, I felt the whole mapset took me as much time as two average E1 replacements, and considering the quality, I liked it. Even though I'm relatively bad player, I didn't die at all in your maps (playing UV), and the only harder time I had was with one certain ambush in E1M9. Encounters were easy, but still enjoyable and interesting. Secrets were also clever. Guess what, I even managed to access the chainsaw lift in E1M9 after the final bridge had been risen, difficult but possible! :)

I admit that there may be homages/places directly inspired by particular parts of original E1. But I don't find anything bad on them in your case. More types of homages exist, there are plain homages that are just a sign of laziness and uncreativeness of an author, and then there are interesting reinterpretations and spice-ups of well-known areas. If your maps contain homages, then only of the second mentioned type, because it's obvious that your maps are no lazy work. If you've tried to "think like Romero" (as you're saying) when making the maps, it's unavoidable that mechinics will be similar - and you did it a good way.

I played with Zandronum, which is also why I haven't discovered any errors (as this port fixes them). I only noticed more significant texture misalignment of the bars near outdoor soulsphere in E1M7, and sometimes that you've actually used shorter-than-128-units textures on tall walls (some tekwalls on the same map).

It was really enjoyable play, thank you for that! :)

Played through all this. Man, what a great set of levels. I found myself increasingly more and more automap-navigating on E1M6 and E1M7, but that finale was pretty good; although I feel it started stronger than it ended.

Also (with PRBoom+):

Still on the old v1.0 though, this been fixed?

Springy said:

FDA for E1M1. That was a very good opening map. I'll give the rest a shot soon. I really suck at FDA's, so don't expect it to be a very good one. :( If you're not to sure how to play demos, I'll send you a PM tutorial if you want.

wow man, that was a run full of action, at least I could play the demo throwing it over the prboom icon :p, thanks!

scifista42 said:

I've finished my playthrough. The rest of maps just confirmed me what I've thought and said earlier. Style very loyal to the Romero's original, the maps were nice, also long and elaborate, but not so hard to navigate at the same time. In fact, I felt the whole mapset took me as much time as two average E1 replacements, and considering the quality, I liked it. Even though I'm relatively bad player, I didn't die at all in your maps (playing UV), and the only harder time I had was with one certain ambush in E1M9. Encounters were easy, but still enjoyable and interesting. Secrets were also clever. Guess what, I even managed to access the chainsaw lift in E1M9 after the final bridge had been risen, difficult but possible! :)

I admit that there may be homages/places directly inspired by particular parts of original E1. But I don't find anything bad on them in your case. More types of homages exist, there are plain homages that are just a sign of laziness and uncreativeness of an author, and then there are interesting reinterpretations and spice-ups of well-known areas. If your maps contain homages, then only of the second mentioned type, because it's obvious that your maps are no lazy work. If you've tried to "think like Romero" (as you're saying) when making the maps, it's unavoidable that mechinics will be similar - and you did it a good way.

I played with Zandronum, which is also why I haven't discovered any errors (as this port fixes them). I only noticed more significant texture misalignment of the bars near outdoor soulsphere in E1M7, and sometimes that you've actually used shorter-than-128-units textures on tall walls (some tekwalls on the same map).

It was really enjoyable play, thank you for that! :)

I appreciate every word you said, i'm sure this mapset has its flaws but I feel rewarded with the fact that you really liked it. the homages as you see were done in a conceptual way I suppose, not copy paste places. you can see the vibe of computer station (one of my favs) on e1m4 and e1m7, or you can see the stair concept on e1m6 (the stairs at the end of central processing) but heavily expanded, giving you multiple options to move arround. I'm surprised you accessed the chainsaw at the end! it seems you've been presistent. I'm glad to see that the doomers could enjoy this wad as I enjoyed many, many wads from other doomers in the community. thanks again!

Jayextee said:

Played through all this. Man, what a great set of levels. I found myself increasingly more and more automap-navigating on E1M6 and E1M7, but that finale was pretty good; although I feel it started stronger than it ended.

Also (with PRBoom+):

Still on the old v1.0 though, this been fixed?

Thanks man, e1m6 and e1m7 are meant to be bigger but at the same time you can choose your way more freely at times, I think is normal at the first play to get confused with the layout on this kind of levels. when I was a kid I got lost in computer station and it is half the size of "e1m7:hardware" **. That on e1m8 has not been corrected yet on the 1.1 version, I lowered the floor where the baron is just to hide it but I'm having problems with doom.exe to make the barons teleport when they are woken up, because the 126 "WR teleport only monsters" action seems not to work. That'll be solved in a 1.2 version I guess.

This episode is really stellar! Look out soon, for I may go ahead and play this on my livestream. I'm very impressed with your layout design, and your E1 mimicry is more than convincing. I really look forward to seeing more from you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you create that tech base mega wad a while back? Also, glad you found that demo worthwhile I'll give E1M2 a go when I get back.

Pavera said:

This episode is really stellar! Look out soon, for I may go ahead and play this on my livestream. I'm very impressed with your layout design, and your E1 mimicry is more than convincing. I really look forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks buddy, E1 style was my primary goal, believe me, I "studied" the original e1 maps layout and the shape and angles of the rooms, it was challenging to stand right between just making square sectors and making the crazy convoluted e1 wannabe ones.

Springy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you create that tech base mega wad a while back? Also, glad you found that demo worthwhile I'll give E1M2 a go when I get back.

haha, yes, Eviltech, some levels were a bit complicated from pistol start but I put a lot of work on the design, it was my first megawad :p. I'll see your demos, thanks!

Springy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you create that tech base mega wad a while back?

I think he did, I also remember him saying 34 or 35 maps then.

http://www.twitch.tv/krispavera

Stream is currently running, and I'm playing through this episode right now! Come in, have a good time!

EDIT: Well, that was anti-climactic. Stream died about 30 minutes in and I don't think it'll be coming back any time soon.. will have to postpone the rest of the mapset!