Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

OBLIGE Tribute Map Set

Just to clarify, I am aware that it's considered not cool to pass off OBLIGE and SLIGE maps as your own (not that you can't see them coming a mile away...).

That said, I'm curious if there has ever been a megawad for the "best of OBLIGE" or any other premise? My other idea is this. There are 32 map slots for Doom 2 and participants sign up for the slot they're interested in. Then they configure the OBLIGE v5 beta to create a 32 level megawad and choose the one map they like best from that to fill their slot. They then take that map and turn it into a real map, by adding geometry, details, adding/removing items or enemies as they see fit while not detracting too far from the originality of the level. Once the slots are filled with these maps and all the testing is done, it could be released as an OBLIGE tribute megawad.

I really think that the v5 beta is a really great thing and this would be one way we could collectively say "thanks." Has this been done? If not, would anyone be interested in this? I know that there are a lot of projects going on right now, but I feel this could turn out really well with some interesting, unexpected results.

Job said:

Just to clarify, I am aware that it's considered not cool to pass off OBLIGE and SLIGE maps as your own (not that you can't see them coming a mile away...).

That said, I'm curious if there has ever been a megawad for the "best of OBLIGE" or any other premise? My other idea is this. There are 32 map slots for Doom 2 and participants sign up for the slot they're interested in. Then they configure the OBLIGE v5 beta to create a 32 level megawad and choose the one map they like best from that to fill their slot. They then take that map and turn it into a real map, by adding geometry, details, adding/removing items or enemies as they see fit while not detracting too far from the originality of the level. Once the slots are filled with these maps and all the testing is done, it could be released as an OBLIGE tribute megawad.

I really think that the v5 beta is a really great thing and this would be one way we could collectively say "thanks." Has this been done? If not, would anyone be interested in this? I know that there are a lot of projects going on right now, but I feel this could turn out really well with some interesting, unexpected results.

An even better idea is a "Best of Both Worlds". Have people go to http://soulsphere.org/hacks/slige/ to get the daily SLIGE megawad, pick a map they like for a slot in the compilation. At the same time, they generate a OBLIGE V5 beta megawad and pick a map for another slot in the compilation. The latter things are the same as you said regarding tuning the levels and testing.

Though, it wasn't a complete success as I had hoped for. It was originally susposed to be single episode of 10 to 12 levels, but due to some mappers going missing, I only got six out of the project.

you could document the seed numbers in both of these programs so that another person could input the number and generate the level him/herself

40oz said:

you could document the seed numbers in both of these programs so that another person could input the number and generate the level him/herself

Well, that'd be only half of it. While this intended as a sort of tribute to OBLIGE, part of this isn't just generating levels, it's proving that OBLIGE can make a great framework for a level by honing it further as described above.

Any other takers interested? If not, I'll give it a shot myself and make the results available for download.

I've never used OBLIGE but I've always been kinda curious about it. This seems like a fun experiment so I'll give it a go.

should I be using v5.07 available here?

Ribbiks said:

I've never used OBLIGE but I've always been kinda curious about it. This seems like a fun experiment so I'll give it a go.

Yep, that's the version to use. It's worlds better than any of the official releases, IMO.

Ribbiks said:

Version 3.57 is also a good version to use, tho it does not have many prefabs in use other than crates.

Anyone else in on this? There's currently a SLIGE map set project going on, but for those who prefer OBLIGE and the flexible approach of changing the sectors, textures, things/gameplay in an OBLIGE map of your choosing for a given slot, this is for you.