Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Eris Falling said:

It's SKY2 (MAP12-20) from CC4, which also lists the floor texture as ROCK24, assuming you were commenting on my shot Jimmy?

Thanks very much dude. I'll put it in my wad.

Speaking of which, half of my fucking WAD got deleted for some odd reason. So ya guys, don't be a dumbass like me; back your shit up on an external hard drive, thumb drive, etc.

Antroid said:

And it's not my fault if things make you feel something completely unrelated out of the blue, is it now? Obviously I meant it only in the scope that you implied, unless of course Torm is your "ideal" of all aspects of a person and not just a mapper. I judge that very small aspect of his life, Doom mapping, and my personal verdict is that it is disgusting. That's it, nothing more.

He's just like everyone on this website, trying to contribute maps to the doom community. Whether or not you like them is up to you, but calling his work "disgusting" simply because it isn't your cup of tea is very uncalled for.

Looking good Ribbiks! I like the geometry of the façade in the second shot.

Platinum Shell said:

That sky, man. That sky. Also like the human barbecue-esque shot.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment. I'm new to mapping, so it's not gonna look the most aesthetically pleasing. But I've played plenty of WADs and DOOM, so I do have an idea of what is and isn't aesthetically pleasing. Hell, DOOM was one of the first games I've played, my dad and I would play it all day long along with blakestone.

Okay fuck it, time I unveiled the name of this junk, even though it only consists of an unfinished start area and some sprites at the moment.
It's not a picture of Doom, but it's a Doom-related picture. Half on-topic I guess.

GIMP seems to be brilliant if you want a brand new grey cloudy sky. Randomly generated :P

Could use some tweaking. The translucent rectangle backing the text is too light; looks more like a cloud rendering error than a backing for the text. Also, the slogan (for me) is too low, and could be moved up a bit more considering the disparity in border spacing. Also, did you render -> clouds, and then squish it into a rectangle? :P

edit: sorry if you didn't want criticism

BloodyAcid said:

Could use some tweaking. The translucent rectangle backing the text is too light; looks more like a cloud rendering error than a backing for the text. Also, the slogan (for me) is too low, and could be moved up a bit more considering the disparity in border spacing. Also, did you render -> clouds, and then squish it into a rectangle? :P

I dont know, but he should want it, because you are damn right in your points there :)

I rendered clouds and then put a fog layer in front of the title without giving it much thought. Still, it does well in the reference that the project is still 80% placeholder at the moment. I'm using the start of MAP01 when it's finished and I have the skybox, which, funnily enough, doesn't contain any clouds. I guess I got overexcited and decided to jump the gun, since it looked kinda cool.

I agree you're correct in the criticism though, and in addition, the slogan is off-centre to the left :P (and WI is grouped together)

In this exceptional case I didn't, but thanks anyway for making the effort. It's a good example of how good this thread is for feedback on stuff. I should give more myself really.

EDIT: Thanks Ligh, I've seen Terragen used for mountains, so I'm going to download this and see what I can get out of it.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nothing, apparently. Shitty laptop can't run it. I'll try it on the GL-PC later.

Oh, wow, they are already at version 3 ... I referred to the quite outdated version 0.9, which is a software-only renderer (it may have an OpenGL preview, but that is not required, I believe). Not sure if version 2.x requires OpenGL, that was a bit over-complex to me.

So I made the ship more destroyed and derelict:
Starting area:

Some un-accessible area just for backdrop:

and the first shot in its new glory:

I still have to finish some detail in the computer area as well as monsters, ammo, health...

More WIP:

I'm thinking the spires are finished finally (Gratuitous copy/paste of about 9 variants):

Caught the lowering cells mid-movement:

Route 1:

My new map "Stack Domination" has just been released. Go check it out ;)

mrthejoshmon, I swear you are improving.

Rayzik, I've watched your shots too for a while, but haven't commented yet. That's just because I'm a bit tired from hell theme maps, but of course your shots are also nice. That third pic reminds me of something from dutch devil before coffein addiction. :D

BloodyAcid: helluva god stuff! Are you gonna release it in Doomworld MegaWAD project?

Katamori said:

mrthejoshmon, I swear you are improving.

I figured out a technique:
Build the basic map first off then start detailing and populating each room one by one until its done...

As you can see by this shot there is plenty of rooms to be done.

Updated my contribution to D2INO, level 11, or as I'm referring to it, DESTRUCT. Replaced the ugliest room with this:

129thVisplane said:

On topic of Doom pictures:
A friend of mine told me to "crate a castle map of some sort, complete with a throne room and everything".

I f'n love that.

More progress:
Heavily modified computer room, the pillars change the gameplay entirely!:

The server room:

And the exit:

During testing I found that map 09 of my megawad is quite hard pistol start... Well at least for me.