Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

MediEvil - A PSX third-person series from 1998/2000

I haven't played this in over ten years, and I bloody loved it, why the hell I got rid of it I'll never know.

Even today, it looks just as good and fun as I remember it. It had a really neat sequel too which featured a fight with a skeletal T-Rex / Pterodactyl and if I remember rightly, a giant mechanical Indian elephant. I'll have to look into that one. The sequel also had a level that involved giant pumpkins, and I don't believe I ever got further than that, it was the eighth level. I never got further than the fourth level on the first game either.

Has anyone ever played this game? I probably regret losing these games more than any other. I doubt there's many copies left nowadays though, sadly.

yah loved this game, some great exploratory elements within each level. Have traumatizing memories of a few areas: getting lost in the damn anthill level, or insta-dying by falling off of something because awkward 3d perspective. That was ages ago though so the game's probably a lot easier than I remember, maybe I'll revisit it.

btw we live in the era of emulators, it's not too hard to pick this stuff up again.

DustFalcon85 said:

Sure did! You can buy Medievil off of the PSOne classics off of PSN for PS3/PSP/Vita for $5.99.

Is that every PS except PS2? Sod's law, thanks anyway, that's a start :D

Eris Falling said:

Is that every PS except PS2? Sod's law, thanks anyway, that's a start :D

More like every PS that can use immaterial "virtual" services, rather than a good old disc that you can hold in your hands.

Recently I looked at my playstation 2 & 1 discs and noticed all the SHIT games were for ps2 and all the GOOD games were for ps1 (this was after already selling my shitbox 360 which has even worse games, and a noisy ass system that hums like a jet engine when you play it and loaded with propaganda and spy tech, basically a hijacked asset of Bulnoil, a being of endless desire and leader of the new world order). So I sold my ps2 system and games on shitbay (aka north korebay), and only got 50 bucks for it because shitbay is another hijacked asset of the new world order, which they use to intentionally destroy the economy and use chinese slaves as leverage against the nearly defeated remaining factions of semi free humanity. Probably paid more in shipping and fees than the payment received especially since they tyrannically forced me to charge no more than 4$ shipping on an item that would take 25$ or so to ship, using ups/fedex or usps, all of which are also hijacked assets of the new world order.
Long story short, I bought a ps1 system instead, which probably at least has a lot less spy tech, and is mostly quiet as a mouse except a quick gearish sound when saving or something, and am enjoying good games made back in the day when making non triple AAA games (ie good ones; triple AAA means they're shit. I'm sure the entire xbox one and ps4 will be triple AAA, full of perfect games for every soccer mom and joe sixpacks out there who love to be obedient consumers and willing voters with their dollars for the enslavement of humanity. These people love paying recurring fees to continually rent games and agree that it should be illegal for non royal individuals to own or resell things) was still legal/possible/profitable, and not centralized into cartel for the purposes of control rather than "play" (ie "play"station).

Crash team racing wasn't as good as diddy kong racing (n64) imo, and it pissed me off because I saw some youtuber easily pwn this stupid turning nitro thing and I couldn't even jump up a platform with it so ragequit (I guess I suck at jumping in doom and every other game).

I played medieval a bit before, I guess similar to soul reaver.

shooters like g darius had cool bosses

playing brigandine lately, fun time waster, but I kinda "solved" it with a superior tactic. also super puzzle fighter 2/vandal hearts/roll away are fun

Looking to get road rash 3d/jailbreak, micromachines, street fighter alpha 3, roll cage 2, alundra and various rpgs, nectaris, tomba I guess

I still have not tried roms and what have you, but at the risk of being b7, I assume you get the things that rhyme with proms at a place that rhymes with smiratebay? Whatever, it'd be easy enough to search for, plus I'd be to lazy to actually bother doing it. A tv screen is a lot bigger anyway, unless you guys hook your output from computer to tv somehow. Might be good for neo geo since that's really expensive; never played any of those yet.

You'd also need to modchip your original Playstation....

There's a pretty good port of it with extras on the PSP. I think I already traded my copy back in, but you can probably get it pretty cheap.

I remember playing MediEvil: Resurrection on PSP ages ago: managed to clock it completely and even found a glitch. :P It's a lot of fun and definitely worth playing.

Sucks that Medievil 2 never got rereleased. It was a pretty weak sequel though. Noone I ever knew liked it more than the original.

I HATED how health fountains dried up forever, made the game so much harder than it already was. Never beat the final boss either.

The first one is an all-time favourite, I'd come home from school, start a new game, geg through most of the game, and do it again the next day. So many amazing levels.

Nomad said:

There's a pretty good port of it with extras on the PSP. I think I already traded my copy back in, but you can probably get it pretty cheap.

really? i thought it sucked balls: lame cutscenes, substandard graphics, and poor soundwork. literally the only thing i liked about it was the music, which set the tone well. and i loved Medievil 2, and only played part of the first one, but what i played i recall enjoying immensely more than the PSP port.

Maes said:

More like every PS that can use immaterial "virtual" services, rather than a good old disc that you can hold in your hands.

BACK IN MY DAY, WE HAD TO WALK FIFTEEN MILES TO THE LOCAL GAME SHOPPE TO BUY OUR VIDYA GAMES, ONLY TO FIND THAT THEY HAD JUST SOLD THE LAST COPY OF THE GAME TO SOME UNGRATEFUL LITTLE SNOT FIVE MINUTES PRIOR.

But yeah, MidiEvil was pretty cool back in the day. Never actually owned a copy so I always had to go over to a friend's house to play it. Thanks for reminding me about it though; I've been meaning to pick up a copy on PSN so I can play it on my PS3/Vita. :D

I picked this game up recently, the first on PS1. Not sure, it looks to evoke a little of the same atmosphere as Maximo (a game I loved). I haven't played MediEvil, maybe I should get on that soon.

Ragnor said:

So many amazing levels.

Out of interest, how many were there on each game? I'd like to know how much I missed.

Medevil has always been a favourite of mine. Having recently beaten the second I can't say the same for it. Besides the disappearing fountain aspect that was mentioned there's a lot more annoyances.

-The camera angles are a lot worse in this installment espescially on the Cathedral Spires descent.
-I found the levels themes and enemies themselves to be very inconsistent when compared to the first.
-They got rid of the world map with branching paths for a simple linear hub system.
-Also axed was the hall of heroes, instead you have the professor just handing you the weapons over a desk.
-In the original you'd have a green path indicating the exit, in the second you have no indication which caused me to exit the level prematurely when looking for the chalice numerous times.
-There's no secrets to speak of in the sequel(besides dan hand entrances).
-The bosses in this version are basically you waiting for them to show their weakness(besides The Count which was a fun fight)

Don't get me wrong, Medievil 2 is still an okay game, just not a very good sequel.

MediEvil.. So many memories. I loved this game. It was the second game I bought for my PS 1 (Biohazard 2 was the first one), and I played through it ever and ever again.
The atmosphere of ME1 was amazing.
Even today, playing this via emulator, I can see how much love was put in the creation of this game.
There are so many nice details in ME1.
ME1 is surely one of the best action adventures ever released.
ME2 sadly failed imo.

Crash Team Racing? Well,Iam playing this almost every weekend with friends on PC via emulator. 4 Controllers, Splitscreen, it is a lot of fun. I think its way better than Mario Cart 64.

Second game is okay. Never finished. Original was amazing. Very colorful, amusing cutscenes, whimsical art direction, EXCELLENT music. For a hack-and-slash, it was really inspired and had a lot of diverse environments. I'll have to pick it up again some day.

Eris Falling said:

Out of interest, how many were there on each game? I'd like to know how much I missed.

Not sure about the exact count, it was always a journey moreso than a levelset. It meant something when you got out of the graveyard, for example, as well as the long process of getting through the Enchanted Earth. I bet EVERYONE remembers the "Oh FUCK" moment when they accidentally release the shadow demons.

After that its a grueling trek up to the castle, where my two favourite levels are, Pools of the Ancient Dead, and Crystal Caverns. Everyone remembers the asshole Pirate Ship, everything about that level was brutal and unfair.

The PSP game was a dull reboot of the first game, which tried to fix what was never broken to begin with. No wonder the series died there.

EDIT: I have Medievil on my Vita but didn't bother putting the PSP reboot on it. I have my portable Medievil as far as im concerned.

I just wanted to add that the art direction in this game really holds up. Despite some blocky character models and wonky animation, it still looks pretty damn good. There was a lot of subtle lighting and particle effects that looked outstanding by 1998 standards and the cartoony proportions of the buildings were very distinctive. Along with Spyro the Dragon, it was one of the better examples of mid-life PS1 hardware.

I own, completed and had both endings for Medievil 1 and 2, Medievil 2 had a wierd set of endings that I will not spoil.

I loved Medievil 1's ant hill level, that was a brilliant idea for a level (better than the horrible town level), I also thought that worm in Sir Dan's skull was wierd thing to have seen as though it is only seen about 2 times in the game :/

I like Kew Gardens and The Freak Show from Medievil 2, that throwable axe you get was badass... But not as useful and hillarious as pancaking things with the hammer!
But I hated the observatory level with the green fucking squid things who latch onto you and slowly kill you or jump on a zombie sailor to make it super strong. I also HATED the London streets levels, those god damn zombie sourcerer thingies drove me mad... But they soon ate the blunderbus and blew to pieces, it was bloody glorious!

Fucking loved this game as kid. Now I want to play it again; I've only got the second one though, and I want to start from the beginning :(

Wasn't the knight's name Sir Daniel Fortesque? I can't believe I remember that.

i wouldn't mind seeing more of Sir Dan's adventures (and yes, PS, that's the correct full name), perhaps resurrected in WW1 or 2-era London, or even in the present age? although, from what i recall, the game got wrapped up pretty well in the second game, though that's not to say Zarok's magic can't run afoot once again...