Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Thank You for Brutal Doom!

Brutal Doom is so awsum. It's the best thing in my life since the Power Glove. It's so much better than your ordinary obsolete Doom.

Le roi est mort, vive le roi !

Eris Falling said:

Personally, I think Brutal Doom is a decent mod. From technical view I think it's very impressive. The problem I have with it is that people are now playing it instead of Doom, hence they never play the original at all, which IMHO, is just wrong. If I got bored for some reason of the normal game, I might go and play Brutal a bit, but I'd never let myself prefer it over the normal game. What also bothers me is the apparent trend in people letting that happen. I fear that one day, in the far future, the definitive version of Doom is going to be "that one where you blew limbs off demons, and performed fatalities, and excessive amounts of blood went everywhere."

This is pretty much my stand, too.

Every Doom thread on NeoGAF has at least one person chime in on the first page with "you think THAT'S good? You should try Brutal Doom! You'll never go back!". And as somebody who thinks the base game stands up perfectly fine on its own and was never particularly wooed by BD, it gets kind of irksome.

Also, I should really verify if this is real, or Memfis pulling my leg, because if it's real... All those people who keep telling me BD doesn't drastically change the game now have this image to answer to.

I appreciate all of your points.

Having played the hell (no pun intended) out of vanilla Doom for who knows how long, I felt as if there were shortcomings that could have been addressed. Maybe that's why I like BD so much. It'll never take the place of Doom as we know it, in the same way that Doom 64, though good in its own right, will never knock Doom off its well-deserved gaming pedestal. As I was alluding to earlier, I always felt like there were some things missing in Doom when I was younger. Granted, I never thought about it until I had played it for a ridiculous number of hours. But when it was over, I was left wondering, "Why is there only one death animation for the enemies? Why can't I destroy their corpse sprites? Why does the berserk pack become an after thought because it's not really well-utilized?" Maybe I really like BD because it reminds me of some of the games I enjoyed when I was younger, like Smash TV, Splatterhouse and Mortal Kombat.

My sincere, honest opinion is that if id had the technical capabilities at that time to utilize the features in BD, or even just a handful of them, they would have. I believe that in a number of ways, BD is a fulfillment of their original vision. If John Romero wants to hop on and tell me I'm full of it, that would be just fine by me!

It's real. I have no idea why he decided to start altering levels, because that will affect every mod's levels played with BD.

My sincere, honest opinion is that if id had the technical capabilities at that time to utilize the features in BD, or even just a handful of them, they would have. I believe that in a number of ways, BD is a fulfillment of their original vision.

I could actually agree with you on that. But I also think this could be why things like Daikatana, or the lack of mind-blowing id titles after [insert game], happened. Sometimes the original vision isn't that great, or at least doesn't resonate with as many people as something born out of limitations, more abstract and open to interpretation.

Shadow Hog said:

Also, I should really verify if this is real, or Memfis pulling my leg, because if it's real... All those people who keep telling me BD doesn't drastically change the game now have this image to answer to.

Actually I don't think that's for BD, given that it would need it's own level. Theoretically, if BD had it's own mapset, it could be the final boss for that. The Youtube video showing the boss doesn't use brutal weapons.

I'd like to think a separate mapset for BD would shut the "hwo wuld ti paly wiht brtual dom" crowd up, but let's be realistic, that's never gonna happen.

EDIT: Oh that contradicts Krispy's post.

Eris Falling said:

I'd like to think a separate mapset for BD would shut the "hwo wuld ti paly wiht brtual dom" crowd up, but let's be realistic, that's never gonna happen.

That's actually a really good idea. I just don't know how much of BD's hype has faded between its release and now (to drum up interest for mappers on a project like this).

Job said:

Why is there only one death animation for the enemies?

A lot of them have two, one for gibbing.

Why can't I destroy their corpse sprites?

Because Doom is a fast-paced game and the player presumably has more important things to do.

Why does the berserk pack become an after thought because it's not really well-utilized?

I think the number of wads that feature berserk-focused maps would disagree with this.

The berserk fatality animations, corpse destruction, etc. just slow down the pace of gameplay without really adding anything.

This, on the other hand...

esselfortium said:

Because Doom is a fast-paced game and the player presumably has more important things to do.

I think the number of wads that feature berserk-focused maps would disagree with this.

The berserk fatality animations, corpse destruction, etc. just slow down the pace of gameplay without really adding anything.

This, on the other hand...

That's fine, I respect your opinion. Obviously, different people in the community have different perceptions of what Doom is and "should" be. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. My original intention was never meant to start a debate. I just wanted to thank the hard working developers of the mod for creating something I enjoy.

Also, that video...yeesh.

I've kind of morphed into a 'purist' since frequenting these forums, but I can't disparage BD, because it is without a doubt the mod that got me back into Doom.

BD is still fun to load up every now and again, if only to get a new perspective on a player WAD. Overall, I think it does more good than harm to this community.

Job said:

That's fine, I respect your opinion. Obviously, different people in the community have different perceptions of what Doom is and "should" be. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. My original intention was never meant to start a debate. I just wanted to thank the hard working developers of the mod for creating something I enjoy.

Doom shouldn't be anything other than Doom. That's why it's Doom and not Johnathan Grigsbane's Happy-Fun-Time Slaughter Jamboree Now With Added Sugar

Regardless, there are several places to thank a content creator for his work. See below:
1) The official Brutal Doom thread which exists on like 4 different websites.
2) PMing him on one of the like 4 different Doom websites he's on.
3) PMing him on the non-Doom websites he's on.
4) Emailing him.
5) Sending him a letter.
6) Stalking him, kidnapping him, tying him up in a basement before declaring your undying love and admiration and how you'll always be together.
7) Sending him a message on some sort of skype/instant messenger service I'm 90% certain he uses at least one of.
8) Bumping an old "let's fellate Brutal Doom" threads.
9) Literally anything that doesn't involve creating a thread to make essentially one post.

Are you just an abrasive douche or do you always talk this way? Regardless, you made your point. This thread has obviously run its course