Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Soundcard problems with MBF and Eternal Doom

I am having a sound issue with some ports. Mainly the otherwise kickarse port MBF but also the custom port of Eternal Doom as well.

Eternal Doom fails to initiate stating that I have no Soundblaster card. The problem is that I, in fact, DO have a Soundblaster card. A rather expensive one at that.

The Allegro software that MBF uses doesn't detect my soundblaster too, but this is not so critical since it is still possible to run MBF, albeit without sounds.

The soundcard I own is the Soundblaster Audigy Platinum (I plan to use my computer as a harddisk-recorder besides Dooming) and the documentation says that it should work just fine as an ordinary Soundblaster.

My question is: Is there any way trick the two programs mentioned above to accept my soundcard as being an older type of soundblaster?

These values work with my SBlive and all MBF based source ports I have tried. Can't say it will work for Audigy though.

Copied from my ini file:

[-1-7(-1)] code used by Allegro to select sounds driver, -1 is autodetect
sound_card 5

[-1-9(-1)] code used by Allegro to select music driver, -1 is autodetect
music_card 1

[0-1(0)] precache sounds at startup
s_precache 0

[0-1(1)] 1 enables voice detection prior to calling install sound
detect_voices 1

Works fine for the music but can't get any sound effects.Any ideas Enjay?I've got SBLive too.

Well, prior to trying those values all I could get SFX wise was really distorted sounds. Then one of the ports (not sure which one I'm afraid) came with a slightly different version of the Allegro setup prog. It put in those values for me and it worked.

The only thing I would say is the SFX are still fairly quiet so what I have to do is have SFX up full, music down quite low and then crank up the volume on the HiFi I listen to my computer through to make it all sound right. Could it be that your SFX volumes are just too low rather than actually silent? Sorry, I know that's not much, but getting anything reasonable sounding was a breakthrough for me.

No the sfx is right up and even with the system cranked right up there's nothing even distant.You remember before you gave me the settings for COD and they work just fine with that,hmmmm why not with MBF?
Yeah I was the same for ages,distorted sound only with MBF.Well the settings certainly well work for the music,I'll keep experimenting with that cfg.If you ever remember where you came across that slightly different Allegro....

Lessee, I have a Sound Blaster Live!, Win98, and have sound and music in all games, DOS included. I've always loaded the "Sound Blaster emulation" driver in my autoexec bat file. It's sbeinit.com. I also have the "set blaster" environment variable defined in autoexec, not sure it's needed, but my entry for example is
set blaster=A240 I2 D0 H7 P330 T6
Of course, you should check your sound card settings, I think via the conrol panel, device manager, and see what port, irq, DMA low and high, etc. you are using so that you put the right stuff in the set blaster variable. Honestly I'm not sure this is needed, but I can't think of anything else.