Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Your Path of Destruction Doom TC for Quake.

http://www.quaketerminus.com/addon.shtml

This page has some cool retro Quake mods, the one that I have played is a Doom TC for Quake. Your Path of Destruction. This is a very good Doom mod with some ugly but serviceable models and strange maps. The spaceflight sequence is cool though. If anyone has a copy of Quake they will love this.

Here is a screenshot taken with Darkplaces.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1073350_499515236799057_744099458_o.jpg

Is this a cool mod or not? Doom sure has a very good following.

Whoa, now there's a blast from the past. Christ, I remember following that mod when it was being created. To be honest, I kinda forgot that aspect of Quake's innovation. I mean, with Doom, most mods, barring some incredible dehacked gymnastics, were basically just new coats of paint. Quake made it much easier to actually alter the internal mechanics of the game, thus allowing for new weapons, new powerups, different monster behaviors, etc.

If you're going to remake Doom 2 maps in Quake, why not take advantage of the engine and reinterpret the maps? Making them look so painfully close to the originals looks hideous in a true 3D, lightmapped environment.

Looking at that list, my favorites were Alien Quake, Fantasy Quake, Quake Rally, and Painkeep. Read about the DOOM TC on bluesnews & friends, but never really got interested. And that list is really missing some basic stuff like 3WCTF, reaperbot, grappling hook mod, etc.

I never did manage to finish playing Fantasy Quake, got stuck on some level. I really should try it again. And maybe that Abyss of Pandemonium...

For engine, I use QuakeForge, with just regular software rendering in 640x480, and no kind of special effects. It's almost like playing the original...

Tenebrae and Darkplaces added some really immersive lighting, but got kinda carried away. Hard to find a happy medium.

Nice to see that the proper Doom palette was used. Also, badass shuttle cutscene. Overall, it's kinda too dark.

Heh, sv_maxspeed is 460, but cl_forwardspeed etc. are unchanged, which leads to rather fucky controls by default.

I tried playing this, and it seems cool but there are some problems. First, the player doesn't easily squeeze through that little door you have to go through. It took me a lot of tries, and I started thinking maybe it's the wrong way to go. Also, had a lot of errors like this:

Couldn't load sound/Music\music1.wav
Couldn't load sound/Music\music2.wav
etc...

The files in the ZIP aren't properly capitalized, so when you unzip it onto a case-sensitive filesystem (like most Unix-ish systems) then it doesn't find the files. And there's a whole lot of individual files (as opposed to just a few big PAK files), so it would be pretty tedious to clean up this mess.

Finally getting to the first real map (Cloning Facility), it's much too dark, and quite ugly compared to what a similar map would look like in the DOOM engine. And that's without even considering the models vs. DOOM's sprites. Even a DOOM->Duke3D conversion would turn out better.

First played this when I was 11 or so in 2002, had spastastic euphoria’s of ecstasy at the phone call and awesome flight sequence in the hanger. That being said it was an immense accomplishment using the correct palette and converting all the monsters and assorted weapons/items with an acute degree of accuracy. Unfortunately I recall it had weird bugs/glitches such as the Imp being able to scratch you from like 10ft away, but I think this was dependant on whether you used Winquake or some GL variant.

The Spider Mastermind was a hilarious pushover though, it was tiny in comparison and died to the BFG in one shot always, although seeing 2 Cybers on the first level near the exit was surprising enough to say the least, that and you only had an RL to take them down with. Personally I liked the new maps designed specifically for the mod, they had a number of interesting traps and semi puzzles, the remakes from the original felt stale and lacking in comparison.

Sure the Zombies pack a punch but their movement and aiming is awkward due to the pseudo 3D model nonsense, I'm sure Tronyn's review on Ethereal Hell sums it up nicely.

http://www.electricescape.com/etherealhell/reviews/21-aug-2001/ypod.php

Painkeep you say? Fucking awesome looking multiplayer mod, too bad when I discovered it, it was left for dead, you can get Frikbot and Reaperbots to plug into it though and they pack a punch. The varied gadgets are interesting to say the least..

I think my favorite custom mod achievement for Quake was Team Fortress Bots, but the bastardized author designed it so it only works with some pseudo old/queer version of Tomazquake and the installation is so screwed up that I could only get it to work one time and never again.

http://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/minion.planetquake.gamespy.com/

Nehahra was awesome but looking back on it now the level design is far too fucking linear and simplistic. Let's not get into Airquake.. not my cup of tea :P