Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreyGhost

I'm giving away copies of Doom Classic Complete and only Steam can stop me!

Nope, you're eyes haven't deceived you, I'm giving stuff away. Having had an uneventful 59th birthday (and being one of those people who's difficult to buy gifts for), I though this year I'd see if it's better to give than receive. I chose Ultimate Doom after making the startling discovery that there are people on these forums who don't own a copy, and they have the nerve to call themselves Doomers! So, to redress the imbalance there's up to 20 copies on offer, with just a few condition attached -

• You don't already own a copy (I'll have to take your word on that one)
  • You have a Steam account (I'm not lugging 20 boxed copies to the Post Office)
  • You have a good reason why I should give you a copy (Doesn't have to be true)
First preference will be given to current forum members and if I'm inundated with requests the more creative/funny reasons are likely to win out. The first copy's reserved for Obsidian so he can participate in the All SLIGE'd Up sequel project.

Go for it!

EDIT - Eight down, twelve to go - Steam e-commerce server permitting.
  • WildWeasel - Ultimate Doom
  • Obsidian - Ultimate Doom
  • joe-ilya - Doom Classic Complete
  • Obsidian - Final Doom
  • AlektorophobiA - Doom Classic Complete
  • XCOPY - Doom Classic Complete
  • Patch93 - Doom Classic Complete
  • CacoCaddy - Doom Classic Complete
  • Cire - Heretic & Hexen Collection
  • Rambosee's friend - Doom Classic Complete
NEWS FLASH - Today is "id Day" on Steam (their way of marking QuakeCon) so I'm supersizing the gift to Doom Classic Complete.

Update - For one awful moment (actually, several awful hours) I thought I might be sitting out "id Day" without completing any purchases. Fortunately the stuck transaction's been resolved and I'm busy depleting my bank balance before time runs out. :)
I'll catch up on the gift list after getting some sleep, it's 1AM here.

Update the third - Managed to snag several copies of Doom Classic Complete plus a Heretic & Hexen Collection before the e-commerce server decided it'd had enough and hit me with "An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.", I've added that to my support ticket. I didn't expect to have this much trouble giving away games. :D

Yet another update - The e-commerce server's "unexpected error" is still holding things up, so I think I'll trim the list, wait for responses from joe-ilya and Rambosee then declare the give-away closed. If I do another of these I'll try to be better organised.

1) I don't own a copy (see qualification number 3)
2) I have a steam account
3) When I started reading this thread a ninja jumped into my office from the AC vent, tiger-punched my copy of the game in the balls and then kicked it out the window where it then exploded into a gazillion pieces... oh wait, that is my copy of Ultimate Doom sitting next to me! Hi U-Doom. What did the ninja kick? DRAGON AGE 2!!!... oh. Thank you Mysterious Ninja! I guess i'm disqualified then.

Amazingly, I have never actually owned a Doom game (outside of the PS1 and N64 versions, oddly). Yes, I do have a Steam account, and it'd sure be nice to not have to keep borrowing my dad's backup CD's full of BBS archives to re-obtain my copy of Doom whenever I get a new machine.

I already have Ultimate Doom so I'm not interested in one of your free copies but what a nice gesture! I hope you have a fantastic birthday.

Aw Greyghost the world would be a better place if it had more people like you! I wish I could be as selfless as you are.

Lol well 59 aint dead so happy birthday! My sisters boy just turned 9 and I gave him his own copy of doom as well. My dad got me ult doom a long time ago and its a great gift. I think you will achieve your goal of making some people very happy. :-)

Yup, happy birthday! I already have a Ultimate Doom disc, but thanks anyway!

happy birthday, im waiting my sisters son to grow just a little more so he can also enjoy doom games. He is 2 years now.

1. Nope, I don't have Ultimate Doom.
2. I don't have a Steam account as of yet, but you bet your ass I'll get one for this.
3. My mum is the only person in the house with a credit card and she doesn't want me to spend all my money on video games. Plus I've only played the flash version on the Internet, so I desperately need to complete my knowledge of the ID Doom levels. I don't suppose you have Final Doom lying around, do you? :P

What a wonderful idea! We appreciate your thoughtfulness, GreyGhost.

I already own Ultimate Doom, but hopefully you'll make some other people very happy. Happy birthday!

Happy birthday GreyGhost! Though I already have Ultimate Doom, this is a really generous thing you're doing for the Doom community.

NiuHaka said:

1) I don't own a copy (see qualification number 3)

Nice story, but you've left me a little confused. Is that a yes, no or maybe for number 1?

WildWeasel said:

Amazingly, I have never actually owned a Doom game (outside of the PS1 and N64 versions, oddly).

You're on the list, we'll make an honest man of you yet. ;-)

Obsidian said:

I don't suppose you have Final Doom lying around, do you? :P

Maybe, I'll consider adding that to the gift list in a few days if there's not much demand for Ultimate Doom.

Everyone Else said:

Happy Birthday (or words to that effect)

Thanks, you've made a happy man very old (or words to that effect).

1) I actually already own a copy, but I just wanna re-gift one
2) Yep.
3) I just wanna re-gift it to someone who could probably care less about it and may already have it. But it'll be great for laughs.

GreyGhost said:

Nice story, but you've left me a little confused. Is that a yes, no or maybe for number 1?

The Mysterious Ninja spared my Ultimate Doom disc and assassinated my copy of Dragon Age II instead. So, qualification #1 has been rendered void.

As much as i'd love to just click on an icon in steam to play Doom I wouldn't feel right accepting such a great gift that so many other losers could enjoy instead.

Just out of curiosity, does it run straight out of steam or do you still need something like dosbox to run it? I'll totally lie about my qualifications if you can play without dosbox.

I've had my cdrom of Ultimate Doom since 1995, so I just want to say happy birthday GreyGhost and what a fucking top bloke you are!

Niuhaka, it comes with DosBox, but you can just grab the Iwad from the directory and play with your port of choice.

Happy birthday! What a nice thing you're doing for the community :)

I have my original Doom on 3.5" floppies, so count me out -- however, for the record, this is a totally awesome thing that should count as at least one miracle for the purposes of canonization.

Your custom title should be changed to 'local philanthropist'. Happy birthday GreyGhost! :-)

What a kind gesture. I would have accepted but my old pc is still active so I still have backups. Top man and happy birthday.

GreyGhost is a cool guy. Happy birthday, dude.

As for Ultimate Doom, I still have my CD from the Depths of Doom trilogy (the only thing I misplaced was the Maximum Doom/Master Levels disc, not too big a loss really). So I'm good. Just wanted to say how cool you are.

As an original Ultimate Doom copy owner, I just passed by to wish you a happy birthday, and to thank you for this nice gesture :)

Jayextee said:

GreyGhost is a cool guy. Happy birthday, dude.

I am in complete and utter agreement with this statement.

In case anyone is on the fence with this one, here's a few birthday speedmaps for GreyGhost requiring Doom to play them! All of which featuring:

- A few exclusive Ultimate Doom-only textures!
- No Supershotguns as far as the eye can see!
- Angled lines everywhere!
- Unparalleled texture theme transitions!

I was going to make one themed for each episode but I'm highly pressed for time, so I only made two. But anyway, Happy Birthday Greyghost!

I hope your b-day was great man. Sorry I wasn't logged in yesterday. :p

Anyways.....

I don't own a copy.

I do have a steam account.

My family is somewhat tied for money at the moment.

1)I've never had a copy of Doom
2)Yes, i have an Steam account
3)I want it because i'm getting tired of always downloading the IWAD(s) and most of the time they end up being outdated versions, and i'd rather shoot myself before buying the abortion that is the BFG Edition

Clonehunter said:

3) I just wanna re-gift it to someone who could probably care less about it and may already have it. But it'll be great for laughs.

I'll think about it.

joe-ilya said:

I want the original Ultimate doom.

You shall have it, I'll first need your Steam ID.

40oz said:

here's a few birthday speedmaps for GreyGhost

Thanks, I'll play them tonight.

Captain Sugar Tits said:

I don't own a copy.

Not for much longer, what's your Steam ID?

AlektorophobiA said:

I've never had a copy of Doom

None of them!? We'll have to do something about that. What's your Steam ID?

@Everyone else - Thanks again, you're starting to make me blush. :D